Old 09-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
By the way

My own trailer is in a fenced yard with code gate, lights, and cameras. I have a lock on the hitch similar to the one linked in the first post in this thread and a second padlock through the hitch lever. The second lock is used when underway, but is also locked during storage. The jack is also down and the battery disconnected except for about 24 hours before a trip. The tongue weight requires at least a 3/4 ton or a weight distributing hitch; it squats my HD down pretty good without the bars.

Someone could certainly get it out of the yard unnoticed, but trailer thefts aren't a big worry around here and there are a whole lot of easier targets. Most trailers in the yard are poorly or not locked and would not stand out on the highway like the Airstream.

It's not something that keeps me awake at night.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:35 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mine's in my side yard next to the garage, so at least I would know within hours if it were stolen. It's tiny, cute, and could be towed by almost anything, and everywhere I take it lately people say "wow, do you know how much that thing is worth?!", so I'm starting to get a little nervous about it. I'm afraid we'll go camping, go into town for dinner and come back to find it gone. I could use a little peace of mind, but I'm not sure what's the better investment, making it hard to steal, or something like Lojack to ensure if it's taken I get it back. I guess both fronts would be best, but even the tire locks are pretty spendy. I guess I'll just have to decide how nervous I really am!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
bike lock type of thing

I know there's always a way around every lock, but the point is to make it hard for thieves. We have this rope/type of chain that supposedly can't be cut with anything, it's for bikes and the lock is a combination. Couldn't you get a long one and wrap it around a tire and some part of the axle to make it untowable? My A/S is in horrible condition, up on jacks, missing windows and smells like mouse pee, but I still get people commenting on how much it's worth. I'd say spend some time and money getting something that will make would-be thieves move right along.

By the way I also read in the SF Chron recently that a lot of U-style bike locks like the one that was first made by Kryptonite can very easily be opened with a Bic pen. You just take apart the pen and use the body of the pen to slip right into the lock hole and it comes right open. Something else to keep in mind.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:38 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Buy Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
... I have a lock on the hitch similar to the one linked in the first post in this thread and a second padlock through the hitch lever. The second lock is used when underway, but is also locked during storage. The jack is also down and the battery disconnected except for about 24 hours before a trip. The tongue weight requires at least a 3/4 ton or a weight distributing hitch; it squats my HD down pretty good without the bars...
I go with Jack's plan. Mutiple locks, disconnect the battery and buy the biggest AS you can so they can't tow it. BTW add a flock of guinea hens and you will have an early warning system that eats bugs. Seriously though I think the smaller trailers are more at risk than the larger ones because of the ease of towing and the desirability of them. If you take reasonable precautions and make it difficult for the theives to just hookup and drive off, they most likely will move on to easier pickings.
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Although I use a coupler lock, the reason I lock the wheel is because many trailers stolen seem to have coupler locks. A thief with a straight bar hitch on a pickup truck backs up to the trailer, jacks the trailer up, sits it on the bar with hook, chains it up tightly and tows it off to work on the lock somewhere else. A tow truck has an even easier time, just chain it up, lift and pull elsewhere. A wheel lock makes it that much tougher since it's now dragging.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:26 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, folks should lock their RVs to a degree that matches their comfort level.

I do like tha On-Star idea though in addition to locking up the coach with locks, boots, etc.

I once thought On-Star was a total fad as was XM radio. Then I got a truck that has it and it is very useful. Then again, I thought the iPod was a neat little toy....never thought it would hit the big time like it did.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I once thought On-Star was a total fad as was XM radio. Then I got a truck that has it and it is very useful. .
Wait till your free membership is up. Then tell us if you renew. I know a lot of folks who didn't renew once their free time was over. Sort of hard to justify when you are carrying cell service also.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check this out....it has info that makes the having an existing cell phone a non issue should you choose to have Verizon service (which is what is used by OnStar) on your hand held. I found this very interesting and a possible reason to keep OnStar since I would only pay two bills. One for OnStar, and the second bill for two phones. One in the truck and one handheld.

http://www.vzwshop.com/OnStar/?page=faq

Additionally, most handheld phones cannot transmit a full 3 watts of power. The car installed phones with an external antenna, can transmit at a higher power (or at least that's the way it use to work). All I know now, is that I have Nextel for my handheld (through work) and Verizon in the truck. The calls are darn near perfect compared to the hand held Nextel.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
lock didn't fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I thought I'd start a new thread on securing your trailer while it's being stored. This is most certainly in regard to the theft of CCD's tralier. We've been looking at the Fulton Gorilla Guard products. They make a Denver Boot kind of device, tongue locks and a really cool looking coupler lock (seen across from us at our storage area) called the UTL-100. I know a couple people have also looked into LoJack. Does anybody have any eperience with these devices?
Thanks,
Ken
I bought the utl100 coupler lock for my 03 Safari Six Sleeper...didn't fit. The coupler's overall width was more than the inside dimension of the u-shaped bit. Looked like it would do the trick but I wasn't willing to peen in my hitch flange to make it work.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
that didn't work either...

Quote:
Here are a few others to consider:

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...ub_cat_id=D33A

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...b_cat_id=D377A

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...ub_cat_id=D605

To be honest though all that will be discussed, other than landmines or live ammo guards mean that anything less is a mere road block. Those that want the coach are gonna get it, though I myself use some of what has been talked about or what I have posted, more than one to try to make it more difficult.
I tried the 377A model of the Master Lock. The locking stud wouldn't pull out far enough to clear the formed lip on the coupler...only about an eigth of an inch, but no-go.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #25

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Check this out....it has info that makes the having an existing cell phone a non issue should you choose to have Verizon service (which is what is used by OnStar) on your hand held. I found this very interesting and a possible reason to keep OnStar since I would only pay two bills. One for OnStar, and the second bill for two phones. One in the truck and one handheld.

http://www.vzwshop.com/OnStar/?page=faq

This is good. I am assuming the OnStar radio is a tri-mode. America's choice really is a digital service which leaves some serious holes in the coverage areas. In your case I assume the OnStar will roam to analog service, albeit there will be a cost.

I just upgraded my Verizon phone and only had a choice of two phones due to my enrollment in a national plan which gives me service anywhere in the U.S. where there is a signal, analog or digital. This is very important to me and I don't want to worry as to where I am at when I make a call. You can't beat a plan which has no roaming charges.

The future is digital and eventually the analog sites will need to become digital. When that comes it will be interesting to see if America's Choice expands.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-27-2004, 04:06 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
This is good. I am assuming the OnStar radio is a tri-mode. America's choice really is a digital service which leaves some serious holes in the coverage areas. In your case I assume the OnStar will roam to analog service, albeit there will be a cost.

Jack
I wish I could answer those questions, but I am in an area where this is not yet avail. I also don't know what kind of system is in the truck (tri-mode or otherwise). I do know that the system must be a fully digital one since they are saying that older analog equipment won't work and future possible upgrades might be made avail to older cars/truck using an analog system to make OnStar work.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #27

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I wish I could answer those questions, but I am in an area where this is not yet avail. I also don't know what kind of system is in the truck (tri-mode or otherwise). I do know that the system must be a fully digital one since they are saying that older analog equipment won't work and future possible upgrades might be made avail to older cars/truck using an analog system to make OnStar work.
This makes sense. We know that the FCC wants to dump the analog spectrum for other uses so analog has a limited life span. The real plus for OnStar today is that it works almost anywhere where it can get a signal, analog or digital. That gives the optimum coverage level at this time. Just like my current cell phone.

If OnStar goes fully digital (from an equipment standpoint) prior to the mandated digital conversion of all analog cell sites, there are going to be folks without service in some cases. Now for most folks that won't be much of an issue. For folks who travel off the Interstate like many of us, that lack of signal becomes a much bigger issue.

If I was getting a vehicle with OnStar today, I probably would be asking questions regarding whether its compatable with analog service.

Jack

AIR #56