Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
RV Shows

Anyone else been to any RV shows this winter?

Just got back from the St. Louis show and it was well attended.

The Airstream dealer had a 16' DWR, 22' Safari Sport and a 30' Classic SO on display. They seemed to have a good draw. I spoke with some of the reps and they said that attendance has been very good.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Anyone else been to any RV shows this winter?

Just got back from the St. Louis show and it was well attended.

The Airstream dealer had a 16' DWR, 22' Safari Sport and a 30' Classic SO on display. They seemed to have a good draw. I spoke with some of the reps and they said that attendance has been very good.
Hey Dennis,

We were at the show today in St.Louis from 11AM to 3 PM, Had a good time talking with Dave Schumann, and other Airstream owners we met there.

Did you see that Big Dog Unleashed Toy Hauler? Sick

Steve
Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Did you see any new really neat RV accessories at the show?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Dennis,

We were at the show today in St.Louis from 11AM to 3 PM, Had a good time talking with Dave Schumann, and other Airstream owners we met there.

Did you see that Big Dog Unleashed Toy Hauler? Sick

Steve
We may have seen it. There were a lot of toy haulers there and they all kind of run together after awhile.

The one thing that stuck with me was the T@D@ trailer, The big brother to the T@B. It was interesting.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 01-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Did you see any new really neat RV accessories at the show?
Nothing jumped out at me. I did see that Onan has a line of invertor generators that look similar to Hondas.

I spoke with the Vespa dealer ... must resist .... getting weak ....
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dennis,

It was in the main hallway smack dab in the middle between BT Campers and Howard RV. It was a 39 foor trailer in black. The interior had 2 black sofas, a wrap around kitchen with eat at counter, a rear (Enclosed porch/bedroom/toy area). It was CRAZY.

On Edit...I was going to post pics, but would rather just add the link.

Big Dog Unleashed Toy Hauler

Steve
Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
T@DA? Made just as cheaply as T@B? I'll keep the aluminum goddess, thank you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bob,

From the prices they were charging you wouldn't htink they were made cheaply. Needless to say, it looks flashy on the outside, but offers little comfort inside. The icebox can fit a 6-pack (Maybe). No gray tank and a cassette toilet make it even more desireable

Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My wife and I spent several hours yesterday at the Columbus, OH Boat and RV Show at the fairgrounds. The thing I noticed were the number of (very) small TT available. One with a bed and a stool for sitting inside and the kitchen area under a lift up trunk style rear lid. Water available outside only - no toilet. Then another, a little larger, with all amenitites inside but really squeezed in - total weight around 2,200 lbs. Airstream dealer had a 30' Classic, Interstate, Bambi, 23' International CCD on display. I was very sorry that not much was displayed in the way of "store" items. I would have liked to see more just to see what is available. Huge moho's on display. They just seem to be getting larger and larger. I can't imagine needing all that space and then to pay to haul it around with you. Some darn good deals on pricing, however. Our dealer is still working on preparing ours for delivery and we've still got to do our 5-6 hour learn about all the parts tour - hoping for warmer weather to spend that kind of time learning about our new baby. We enjoyed the show but were certainly absolutley positive that we'd made the right choice in selecting a new AS as our first foray into trailering. I can't imagine what most of the others will look like after being hauled all around the country, on back bumpy roads - so many looked like Penny re-habs. Does the same person do the interior work for all companies????? Looking forward to SPRING - how do you all get through the Looooooong winters in the north??? (I know the answer - you go south)
Prodigy Brakes
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
I think this is another Thor product also under the Thor umbrellla of companies. After owning 2 new Airstreams, I can only imagine what the overall quality is of these units might be.

Not to totally throw Thor under it's own bus, it's not just Thor. Few of the builders really do much in terms of quality of build and fit and finish anymore.

That all said, my wife told me there is a show next weekend here in the Chicago area....I may go. My expectations are low, so perhaps I may see one that is acutally well built, even at the Airstream area.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Went to the Denver RV show this week alot of RV's not many new AS or accessories. There was one vintage restorer there,had some nice v trailers.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I went to the Denver show yesterday. Timeless Travel Trailers (Timeless Travel Trailers - We remanufacture your vintage travel trailer.) had 3 Airstreams and 1 Sparten there. It was the highlight of the show for me. Local Airstream dealer had 3 trailers also, lots of toy haulers, very few small trailers. Found out who bought out Cherokee rv parts.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Dennis,

It was in the main hallway smack dab in the middle between BT Campers and Howard RV. It was a 39 foor trailer in black. The interior had 2 black sofas, a wrap around kitchen with eat at counter, a rear (Enclosed porch/bedroom/toy area). It was CRAZY.

On Edit...I was going to post pics, but would rather just add the link.

Big Dog Unleashed Toy Hauler

Steve
Steve,

We walked through that. Coincidentally, I think I PO'd someone who either just orderd one or wanted one. I was telling my daughter and son-in-law about how people that have these complain about getting gas fumes in the living area and some lady just walked up and gave me a dirty look.
Maybe she was with the manufacturer or dealer.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Cleveland, IX RV Show

Larry and I went to the Cleveland IX Center RV Show which is touted to be the largest in the country. It was alot of walking to see lots of big boxy white trailers! NOT one AS in the place! Pretty sad given that AS has several dealers in OH and JC is here. Not any accessories! A bunch of local and eastern campgrounds trying to drum up business with brochures and maps. Can you tell we were disappointed? Yep! I will keep the little Minuet! It still has more than the new ones!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
There is an RV show in Florida starting Wednesday January 16th at the Florida Fairgrounds in Tampa. We are new airstreamers and are definitely headed there next week. I know that Bates RVs - they are a large AS dealer in town -will be there. We can't wait.
salvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
We may have seen it. There were a lot of toy haulers there and they all kind of run together after awhile.

The one thing that stuck with me was the T@D@ trailer, The big brother to the T@B. It was interesting.
We were at the Hartford RV show yesterday and saw the T@DA for the first time. As a former T@B owner, we thought about purchasing it last August when it was first introduced. Thought it would address some of the drawbacks in the T@B (no bathroom!). Now that we have seen it and sat in it, we are sure glad we found our late model pre-loved Airstream!!!

The price of the T@DA was the same as what we paid for the 5 year old AS. I think we got the better deal, even without a warrantee!

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
T@B is well made!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
I feel the need to defend the T@B just a bit!!! It is not an AS, that is true, but it is constructed much better than a typical SOB! We owned and loved our little bug for two years. It serves a purpose - those who don't have or don't want a truck of any size can usually tow the T@B with just about any vehicle. It weighs just 1500 to under 2000 pounds, depending on model and accessories. We towed ours with our Volvo XC70.

The major drawbacks are the lack of a shower/potty and the ceiling height. My six foot husband could not stand upright in it. We also had the tent attachment which greatly increased our living area and gave us someplace for the dog crates. The 3 way refig is a little larger than the 12 volt seen in the T@DA.

As I said - we really liked that little trailer. The best vacation we have had to date is the 11 days we spent at Winhall Brook Station in Vermont dry camping in our T@B. It has a lot of the same appeal as an Airstream and is a real attention grabber too!

Mary

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Hello Everyone,

Here's a standing offer for anyone interested. If you attend any RV shows and would like to make it a day on me (gas, food, ticket price, etc.) I would like someone to pass out some post cards to dealers and pick me up dealer business cards and information to mail back to me (I'll pay for the postage of course). Nothing that takes any real effort other than what you would already be doing talking to everyone. Just an offer. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I'm always disapointed when I go to the RV shows. Every year I think the same thing: The RV industry has to realize that everyone that RV's is not 70-90 years old. The furnishings in most companys product makes me feel as if though I am at a casket bazaar instead of an RV show. These companies need to find and address the concerns of a whole new generation of RV wanna be'ers. I can't tell you how many times I hear from people that I talk with: You have an RV? Isn't that something that old people do?

The industry has to break away from the coffin on wheels, new designs, interiors, surfaces, and build quality for all of them, including the near and dear to my heart Airstream has to be addressed.

These are probably the same people that would be more compelled to buy a boat, because of the "cool" factor. Not my cup of tea, though.

AS has got the start of the picture by introducing the contemporary ccd models, as well as some the SE, DWR, and so on.

The industry should also wake up to the fact that many more shoppers are more informed about how something is made and engineered, thanks to forums like this and the internet; we will not tolerate units that costs tens of thousands of dollars only to be slapped together with inferior glues, staples and the ubiquitous striped screws.

My rant.

Jonathan
Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
The industry has to break away from the coffin on wheels, new designs, interiors, surfaces, and build quality for all of them, including the near and dear to my heart Airstream has to be addressed.

AS has got the start of the picture by introducing the contemporary ccd models, as well as some the SE, DWR, and so on.
I so agree!!! The interiors of many RVs and TTs look as though they were designed by design school drop outs!!! YUCK!!

Mary