Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
RV Service Ratings

After reading the "Nightmare Thread" below that got censored because someone described their bad experience with Inland RV, I found several sites that had feedback on different RV vendors. Since we don't have a Consumer Reports that provides us with good & bad feedback many of have to find out the hard way. Here's just one of many sites that attempts to provide consumer feedback. Like anything, you have to weigh it all & then with the information gleaned you'll at least be able to ask the right questions up front to avoid conflict later. This site is not very developed yet and is general, not specific to Airstream but it could be if we provide feedback.
http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Bravo to the Moderators for restoring Wyn's orginal post. But why close the thread to further comment? I guess it was an easy way to please the anti-censorship group but kill the thread at the same time.

I guess I don't understand why we can't disuss negative consumer feedback. Here's another great consumer feedback site that has some very negative (& positive) reviews on RV parks that everyone should check out. http://campgroundreviews.com/

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Some of us have hade bad experiences with shops.

Ya pay's your money and ya take ya take's your chance's.

At least 'WE'VE GOT CHOICE', to go somewhere else.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Talking Speaking in tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Some of us have hade bad experiences with shops.

Ya pay's your money and ya take ya take's your chance's.

At least 'WE'VE GOT CHOICE', to go somewhere else.
Now I have found another voice and I will use it.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
I guess I don't understand why we can't disuss negative consumer feedback
My guess is it is because "negative feedback" can so easily turn into libel, for which the owner of the forum could be held liable. We are all annonymous and could be anyone: a disgruntled ex-wife; a competitor; or simply one of the many infamous internet trolls who just like to get people stirred up.

I don't know what kind of income the forum generates from advertising, but I'd bet it doesn't run to hiring $500/hr. attorneys for extended periods of time.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I am thankful the moderators didn't do a knee jerk reaction and delete the thread. I think the they did a very educated and well thought out process for the conflict, no matter how you feel on their out come.

I know from dealing with people, and being in the service industry, some business practices for service are poor at best. Others strive to for top honors in repairs and customer satisfaction. It is alot of work and takes constant communication with your employees to make it happen.

I am glad I work for a company the has consitantly delivered a higher standard to our customers, and the awards show it... along with the ever increasing in sales and service.

planting good seeds creates huge growth. some get it the concept, some don't.
BrianWSNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Craftsman

I would consider myself a prudent person, but I choose not to live my life goverened by fears of lawsuits or terrorist lurking around every corner. I haven't seen any evidence of anyone hiding in shadows or assuming fake identities to stir up trouble.Sure anything is possible, but the fear of "anything' shouldn't limited constructive debate or feedback regarding any topic.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Constructive debate and feedback should be allowed. It should be distributed as an open forum, without editing or deletions.

With editorial control comes liability. It is easier to limit liability by keeping the forum open and unedited.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I am surprised that the forum allows postings that identify a poster as from, affiliated with, or representing any commerical venture. This should not be unless it is the forums intent to be a commercial opportunity. Alternatively they could have a "commercial" idenity.

I know "customers" can go out of their way to "get" you. I have tapped the rage of more than one. They try to do charge backs to Credit Cards, stop payment on checks, ect... They lie. You have heard customer beware, well merchant beware is also valid. I would not engage such a customer online, ever.

"Get it in black and white, signed" or accept after the fact that your judgement about who to "trust" (gamble on) is flawed or your ability to tell someone what you want is inadequate. Take responsibility for it and move on.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
What thoughts do people have about Private Messages (PMs) soliciting the products of a business under the guise of being a "helpful member" of the forum? I haven't heard this discussed at all, and would like to know if anyone thinks this is a potential problem.

This isn't a prolific activity to date in this forum, but it is done, and could become a serious problem.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
What thoughts do people have about Private Messages (PMs) soliciting the products of a business under the guise of being a "helpful member" of the forum?
If it becomes a problem please send a PM and forward the message to a moderator. We will address this issue if requested.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I know "customers" can go out of their way to "get" you. I have tapped the rage of more than one. They try to do charge backs to Credit Cards, stop payment on checks, ect... They lie. You have heard customer beware, well merchant beware is also valid. I would not engage such a customer online, ever.
I see it here in my line of business here at the convention center where we charge credit cards for our telecommunications services. I see people claiming that something doesn't work, at the end of the show and then trying to dispute our charges (the fact that they never reported a problem during the event tells me a lot). I can tell you that these scam artists haven't collected against us because we do our homework and do our documentation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
If it becomes a problem please send a PM and forward the message to a moderator. We will address this issue if requested.

Jack
Will do. Thank you for letting me know I have that option.

Do we as a community have a responsibility to warn new members of this PM practice?

99.999% of this community is here to be helpful and a productive part of the community, including some of the PM senders who are acting agents for the company they work for. We have, however, all seen posts in public view that are borderline - I state this personally believing that the moderators do a great job, and that there is a lot of gray area for them to deal with.

Knowing that questionable things are posted publicly, it is certainly reasonable that it wouldn't take much to use PMs to influence purchasing decisions and/or investment in a trailer or fixing one up. This is especially dangerous for new members that have the perception that everyone in this community is just here to help them. PMs being hidden from public view, offer a tool for that .001% to take advantage of the new forum member's trust, and potentially cause that new and often naive Airstream owner to invest in something (e.g. in the name of safety) when it isn't really a necessary investment.

Thoughts anyone?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 11-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We aren't about to start the disc brake thing again are we ? I for one will have disc brakes on the 59 when done. I believe it gets me a little more margin of safty even if I drive prefectly.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #15
Craftsman

I had no idea that vendors were using PM's to solicit business. Is this a common practice?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We have also trimmed threads posted that were obvious attempts to solicit business unrelated to our interests here. As this communty has gotten so large; its helpful for you members who spot something fishy to notify us. We all do this mod stuff when we can, and our real world jobs and life do sometimes get in the way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:41 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I had no idea that vendors were using PM's to solicit business. Is this a common practice?
I'm hoping this is not common. Please be sure to inform a moderator if this is occuring. We will not tolerate this since it is a clear violation of our terms of service agreement.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
customer complaint

I did not respond to the original post waiting for the moderators to hash it out. I’m glad they went forward and posted. As far as closing the thread this type of thread only leads to piling on and dragging it out is not useful. There is always more than one side to every story. I think 65gtross did a good job laying out a non emotional complaint and it deserved to be posted. If Andy does not want to respond that’s his choice.

After spending over 40 years in the service business I figured out negative feed back can be very beneficial in finding ways to improve service. I also know:
“The customer is not always right but the customer is always the customer”.

In today’s environment a handshake or verbal commitment just doesn’t work, written estimates are there to protect both sides and prevent these types of incidents.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I'm hoping this is not common. Please be sure to inform a moderator if this is occuring. We will not tolerate this since it is a clear violation of our terms of service agreement.

Jack
I would not say that it is common, and I admit this is in the gray area.

I have been sent PMs that provided encouragement on repairs and offered to help in any way possible. They were sent when I was new and asking questions, and have not continued. I feel I got lucky to have an Airstream Dealer that told me that the repairs weren't needed, and that they have done the suggested repairs to only 3 trailers in their 41+ years of business. (There aren't many Airstream Dealers that have been around that long.)