Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thumbs down Rope light fetish?

I've noticed more and more people putting bright LED rope lights around the perimeter of their entire RV on the ground. Talk about unsightly and they leave it on all night causing tons of light pollution.

What am I missing here? What is the point of this? Is this some kind of fad? Do people think lighting up their RV like a Christmas tree is pleasing to others?

Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
In my opinion you pretty much summed it up well. They see it, they gotta have it.

And I must say, last week we were next to someone with a whole lot of outside decor, lights and such.

They sure did oh and ah when I put that simple fuse in and turned on the running lights.

Less is more sometimes.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
Rope lights provide lighting without the bugs. Not a big deal in some areas but a huge deal in others. However, it's rude to leave them on all night and unnecessary.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Curious about the no bugs statement.

Is this only if they are on the ground because flying insects are not on the ground, or if hanging are they also somehow not attracting flying insects?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Curious about the no bugs statement.

Is this only if they are on the ground because flying insects are not on the ground, or if hanging are they also somehow not attracting flying insects?
LEDS put out a bluish colored light. Bugs don't seen to be attracted to it. I've notice the same thing with the LED bulbs that I have on my back porch.

John
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's probably the lack of infrared and heat with LEDs over incandescent.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I've noticed more and more people putting bright LED rope lights around the perimeter of their entire RV on the ground. Talk about unsightly and they leave it on all night causing tons of light pollution.

What am I missing here? What is the point of this? Is this some kind of fad? Do people think lighting up their RV like a Christmas tree is pleasing to others?
When camping in the southwestern deserts (Arizona and California) last winter I was told by other campers the LED rope lights keep rodents away from the trailer and tow vehicle during the night. Mice and other small animals will crawl up into vehicles and chew on the electric wires. In many vehicles the insulation on electric wires is soy based and is therefore edible and attractive. The cost of replacing the electric system on a tow vehicle with chewed wiring is thousands of dollars.

Also, in the southwest many rodents are infected with the hantavirus. Lighting under the trailer is purported to keep rodents away from the underside of the trailer at night where they might crawl into the trailer.

My east coast camping friends seem to all use rope lighting for decoration.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Interesting thread. I am not a fan of the lights however if it was proven that they keep bugs and rodensts away I would definitely use them.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
LEDS put out a bluish colored light. Bugs don't seen to be attracted to it. I've notice the same thing with the LED bulbs that I have on my back porch. John
Well they are certainly attracted to the LED lights inside the trailer and the LED porch light on the outside.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
What the heck, let's be grouchy today. We hang flamingo lights on the awning - that must drive you crazy.

John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I had AS install the LED strip (all white) under the awning that is now standard. I have a colored LED strip on the belt line and that goes on with my clearance lights. I do this for a couple hours at night (if in the mood) with a fire or just hanging out at the trailer. It all goes off around 10:00.

Sorry if my fellow campers don't like it. I find it festive 😀

If a neighbor ever came over and said it was bothering them, I'd be glad to shut if off.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
Rope Lights

I don't know if the bugs are out there around the rope lights on the ground because I'm not out there. Soft light up from the ground. We don't hang them, so light pollution is only a problem in our camp.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
When camping in the southwestern deserts (Arizona and California) last winter I was told by other campers the LED rope lights keep rodents away from the trailer and tow vehicle during the night. Mice and other small animals will crawl up into vehicles and chew on the electric wires. In many vehicles the insulation on electric wires is soy based and is therefore edible and attractive. The cost of replacing the electric system on a tow vehicle with chewed wiring is thousands of dollars.

Also, in the southwest many rodents are infected with the hantavirus. Lighting under the trailer is purported to keep rodents away from the underside of the trailer at night where they might crawl into the trailer.

My east coast camping friends seem to all use rope lighting for decoration.
Sounds like an olds wives tale. Anecdotal tales are rarely worth paying attention to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
What the heck, let's be grouchy today. We hang flamingo lights on the awning - that must drive you crazy.

John
But do you leave it on all night, and if you do, why? Yes, a pink light shining at my trailer all night would be annoying. Some RV parks I've been in look like the circus is in town.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like the exterior lights, I have a couple of strings. They are turned off at bed time. But like all things there are people that go overboard with it. Common curtesy is no longer very common.