Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #101
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Can you post a link?

I think that's my next step after the HF rope lights. I think either that, or a set of those Fox Pictures searchlights.
Seen on TV.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #102
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Seen on TV.
Or in my front yard right now.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And a pair of disco mirror balls suspended from the awning ends!!!!!

Ummmm. I must confess, my 2014 Bambi sport 16' is aptly named,"the mini bar".
I have some rope lighting but I want more. I have a foldable 6' banquet table that I sit on bed risers that becomes "the bar". I have three 25.5" x 45" bar tables, a disco ball (yes, there it is.) and I'm shopping for a mini ice maker. Of course spandex table cloths cover all the tables. Music complete with dmx lighting round off the entertainment.

Please understand I am VERY considerate of others and our environment. I know when to shut the party down. And I know when the timing is right to set it up.

Entertaining is what I do. Socializing making memories and friends. I understand there is a time and place for everything. Just as there are varied taste in style.
That said, it's never okay to wear stretch pants in public and nighttime lighting should be minimalistic. Even the circus shuts down at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
The Mini Bar
Airlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1480815928.626824.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	276336

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... "the mini bar".

The Mini Bar
Airlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlovr View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... "the mini bar".

The Mini Bar

That is just the coolest thing I've seen this month. Maybe year.

You are welcome at the rope light campfire anytime.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Serious question: when and where is the Rope Light Rally in 2017??
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #107
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That does it. Next mods to Rocinante will include "ground effect" lights all around. I will tell everyone it scares the mice away.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I picked up one of those Star Shower laser gizmos. You don't have to do anything except plug it in. Looks real purdy reflecting off the aluminum.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I realize I have no credibility here with the "anti-light" crowd but I was at a rally once where some friends of ours put out one of those lasers that lit up a starry like display on their trailer (nice bounce off the aluminum) and into the tree in their site. It was gorgeous and a lot of fun for all of us at the rally.

Yeah, if we were all boondocking at a star-gazing site, I get it - but I think folks should - pardon the pun - lighten up a bit. I don't do the rope lights under my trailer but I've seen them and don't begrudge anyone for it.

Happy camping everyone!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just arrived at Usery Mt Park in Mesa AZ. Took a walk...and the trailers with the brightest rope lights and outside scare lights were all Airstreams. Perhaps they think the lights will keep the rattlesnakes away.

Anyway, there is enough ambient city-light reflection to light up the entire desert. Do you really need to leave lights on while you sit inside your trailer and watch TV?
The concept seems to escape a lot here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
I've been reading this thread with great amusement and thought I'd add my two cents. For what it is worth I find the following much more annoying than rope lights under a trailer and tow vehicle:

1) Large and loud construction type generators running for hours, sometimes all night. Some motorhome generators can also be annoying, particularly when camp sites are close together.
2) Campers leaving multiple barking dogs inside their rigs or tied up outside for hours while they leave the camping area in blissful ignorance of the loud noise their pets are making.
3) Large screen televisions on the side of 5th wheels and motorhomes with supplemental speakers projecting the sound of the program across the campground.
4) People starting their older model loud clanky diesel trucks early in the morning and letting them idle for 30-40 minutes while they break down the campsite and hook up their trailer or 5th wheel.
5) Parents yelling across the campground at their children instead of walking over and speaking to the little ones in a normal voice.
6) Drones flying overhead sounding like swarms of angry bees.

Dismissing campground noise another Airstreamer finds annoying as "ridiculous", while professing one's own dislike of rope lighting as the only acceptable point of view seems somewhat one-sided if not demonstrating a lack of respect for differing opinions.

Some don't like lights, others don't like loud noises. Some people don't like campfire smoke. As long as the behavior isn't against the campground rules the only choices are to ignore, be miserable, ask the camper to adjust her/his behavior, or leave.

With respect to interpreting the use of rope lighting to be some kind of narcissistic display, to quote: "You go out of your way to announce yourselves with 'look at me'", consider there may be some who consider the ownership of a recent model 30' Classic, the most lavish and expensive Airstream currently sold, to be a statement as well.

As for me, I feel blessed to live in a world where we all have different opinions and lifestyles. Better to let the petty annoyances slide, respect diversity of opinions, and focus on the enjoyment we derive from traveling this great country of ours. Somehow when telling friends and relatives about our latest adventure the conversation never centers around barking dogs, loud generators, bright rope lighting, or noisy drones. Invariably we talk about the wonderful people we met and the incredible scenery we experienced. Life is good!
Every single one of those complaints is noise. Most campgrounds have noise restrictions/quiet hours which can be enforced. The campground I am at now has quiet hours from 10 PM until 8 AM. Since light pollution that some revel in here is a more recent narcissistic infatuation, I'd suspect more and more parks in the future will start posting rules on lighting.

As for my Classic, it isn't the most lavish and expensive Airstream that is currently sold. That is the Land Yacht. This Classic happens to fit my storage and interior amenity needs as a full-timer. Not that I have to defend my purchase; I'd make the same comments about annoying people lighting up the side of my RV if I was in a $5K trailer.

After reading the last few pages of comments and attitudes that "if you don't like my light pollution, I'll buy more lights and disco balls too!" attitude demonstrates that maturity isn't a strong character trait with many in the Airstream community.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #111
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Rope light fetish?

Flapping multicolor flamingoes. Jillion's of little lights.

Outline every window and door with Xmas lights. Santas sleigh on the roof.

Every holiday a theme in LED.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Rope light fetish?

I saw this picture on the "Airstream Brands" Facebook feed today.

Does anyone know if the puddle lights on the trailer were standard equipment?

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	276446
Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #113
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Gee, I never thought to complain or get irritated by the light pollution I experienced recently at a rally. All my neighbors had either their running lights on, or strings of other lights on awnings or undercarriages. Many left them on all night with their flag lights, too! I just used my aluminum bubble sunshades for storage in the bedroom windows as they are quite useful in these situations.

If I want to be passive aggressive, I can always use the emergency flasher plugged into my umbilical cord and blink them to death with my running lights.

http://www.amazon.com/CARCHET-Signal.../dp/B00CMO3V0S

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

Attachment 276446
No, after market or installed for the photo shoot.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:

Attachment 276446
That is sweet!

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The concept seems to escape a lot here.

Every single one of those complaints is noise. Most campgrounds have noise restrictions/quiet hours which can be enforced. The campground I am at now has quiet hours from 10 PM until 8 AM. Since light pollution that some revel in here is a more recent narcissistic infatuation, I'd suspect more and more parks in the future will start posting rules on lighting.

As for my Classic, it isn't the most lavish and expensive Airstream that is currently sold. That is the Land Yacht. This Classic happens to fit my storage and interior amenity needs as a full-timer. Not that I have to defend my purchase; I'd make the same comments about annoying people lighting up the side of my RV if I was in a $5K trailer.

After reading the last few pages of comments and attitudes that "if you don't like my light pollution, I'll buy more lights and disco balls too!" attitude demonstrates that maturity isn't a strong character trait with many in the Airstream community.

Yup......just because "you have the RIGHT to", doesnt make it "the RIGHT thing to do"
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #117
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Rope light fetish?

Bought one of the Harbor Freight Solar rope lights yesterday, $13.99.

Name:	IMG_2443.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	277918

It comes with wall mount, a stake, the battery/solar panel unit, and the 16' or so of rope light. You also get a bunch of mounting clips and screws.

I stuck it in the sun about 2, and it promptly came on after dark.

I would describe the light output as 'modest'. Somewhere around a dim nightlight. The charger unit battery is fairly small, maybe the size of a pack of cigarettes, so there is likely not many Ah available.

Having said that, it did last for quite a while; I was up after midnight washing my hands and they were still lit.

The unit has 'off', 'on' and 'blink' switch, but it will only come on when it is dark. The light is white but not really 'blue' I'd say. The 'rope' part is just inexpensive vinyl tubing.

I like it; probably will use it around the edge of the awning rug in the evening. It is fairly pleasant.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
So after three days of no sleep, if I decided to ask when my neighbors plan to kill the lights it would come out all kinds of wrong. Maybe an attitude is changing..........
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Oops forgot this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1492139757064.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	283363