Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post

Until I find that set, I'll turn on my running lights so I can easily find my way home in the dark.

Mike
Kind of what flashlights used to be for

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #82
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Just arrived at Usery Mt Park in Mesa AZ. Took a walk...and the trailers with the brightest rope lights and outside scare lights were all Airstreams. Perhaps they think the lights will keep the rattlesnakes away.

Anyway, there is enough ambient city-light reflection to light up the entire desert. Do you really need to leave lights on while you sit inside your trailer and watch TV?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Kind of what flashlights used to be for

George
Oh I've got a flashlight. But it's really bright. And I wouldn't want to annoy anyone.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Fashion or function? If it's fashion, then there is no answer. Some like rope lights and others don't; case closed.

Function is another issue. I put rope lights on the pad under my MH after 5 years of field mice intrusion. One incident resulted in mice chewing the vacuum hose that hooked to the heater and A/C flow control. The cost to dismantle much of the engine to reach and replace the hose was $1,500.

Two years of rope lights and no mice intrusion. Did they move next door? No, they still entered the shed where I keep a tractor (no lights of any kind).

It's not baseless anecdote to understand that field mice are light sensitive. That's the primary reason why we rarely see them outside during the day. When night falls, they move about looking for food, water and shelter; and some look for rubber to chew on.

Light sources = ocular pain in field mice. Rope (or any other) lights cause them to find a less uncomfortable place to hang out in. It ain't rocket science.

But, if you don't like parking near a trailer with rope lights, no amount of knowing that the occupants are field mouse free is likely to make you feel better.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Oh I've got a flashlight. But it's really bright. And I wouldn't want to annoy anyone.

Mike
Just don''t shine it in anyone's windows and you won't.
Just common sense and courtesy.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If boondocking out for stargazing, I can understand why someone pulling up next door and stringing out the lights might be bothersome.

But in an urban or next-to-the insterstate campground environment....??....complainers need to "lighten-up."
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Those are some pretty poor comparisons. It also has nothing to do with "offending". Offending and annoying are two different things.

An air conditioner is something that is installed on like 99.99% of RV's as you simply cannot live in some areas without one. They also make a constant low hum, not like music and bass that catches your attention. HUGE difference between a low steady hum and thumping beats.

A dog barking once and a while when you walk past is called nature and part of everyday life. Dogs and humans pair like no other and an occasional bark isn't egregious. This is a social norm.

Bright rope lights and other extraneous lights left on and lighting the campground up like a circus is COMPLETELY optional. You go out of your way to announce yourselves with "look at me".

Comparing an air conditioner or an occasional dark bark when you walk by to lighting up the side of your neighbors trailer with circus light refraction is completely ridiculous.
I've been reading this thread with great amusement and thought I'd add my two cents. For what it is worth I find the following much more annoying than rope lights under a trailer and tow vehicle:

1) Large and loud construction type generators running for hours, sometimes all night. Some motorhome generators can also be annoying, particularly when camp sites are close together.
2) Campers leaving multiple barking dogs inside their rigs or tied up outside for hours while they leave the camping area in blissful ignorance of the loud noise their pets are making.
3) Large screen televisions on the side of 5th wheels and motorhomes with supplemental speakers projecting the sound of the program across the campground.
4) People starting their older model loud clanky diesel trucks early in the morning and letting them idle for 30-40 minutes while they break down the campsite and hook up their trailer or 5th wheel.
5) Parents yelling across the campground at their children instead of walking over and speaking to the little ones in a normal voice.
6) Drones flying overhead sounding like swarms of angry bees.

Dismissing campground noise another Airstreamer finds annoying as "ridiculous", while professing one's own dislike of rope lighting as the only acceptable point of view seems somewhat one-sided if not demonstrating a lack of respect for differing opinions.

Some don't like lights, others don't like loud noises. Some people don't like campfire smoke. As long as the behavior isn't against the campground rules the only choices are to ignore, be miserable, ask the camper to adjust her/his behavior, or leave.

With respect to interpreting the use of rope lighting to be some kind of narcissistic display, to quote: "You go out of your way to announce yourselves with 'look at me'", consider there may be some who consider the ownership of a recent model 30' Classic, the most lavish and expensive Airstream currently sold, to be a statement as well.

As for me, I feel blessed to live in a world where we all have different opinions and lifestyles. Better to let the petty annoyances slide, respect diversity of opinions, and focus on the enjoyment we derive from traveling this great country of ours. Somehow when telling friends and relatives about our latest adventure the conversation never centers around barking dogs, loud generators, bright rope lighting, or noisy drones. Invariably we talk about the wonderful people we met and the incredible scenery we experienced. Life is good!
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #88
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I've got a FEVER ... and the only prescription is MORE ROPE LIGHTS baby!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Somehow when telling friends and relatives about our latest adventure the conversation never centers around barking dogs, loud generators, bright rope lighting, or noisy drones. Invariably we talk about the wonderful people we met and the incredible scenery we experienced. Life is good!

Amen!!!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote courtesy of Florida 55 :-)
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Yes!, Florida 55/Chuck, is the kind of people I like to meet on the road.
Thank you for putting it so clearly, Chuck!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #92
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Montpelier , Vermont
Well said! Thank you, Florida 55!
danic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm getting one of those things that project moving red and green laser dots.
I think it would look great all over my shiny silver trailer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #94
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post

And a pair of disco mirror balls suspended from the awning ends!!!!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #95
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
Gee whiz. What's next? The noise made by my air conditioner offends you?
I have already had that....I had a camping neighbor come over one morning and comment on how great the weather was at night. She said "Maybe you turn that air conditioner off tonight."
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And a pair of disco mirror balls suspended from the awning ends!!!!!

Dang! Wished I had thought of that!!!
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Saw a new Prevost with 2 disco balls last year in Florida. They had the huge globe lights strung across their awning with the disco balls on both ends.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I have already had that....I had a camping neighbor come over one morning and comment on how great the weather was at night. She said "Maybe you turn that air conditioner off tonight."

Hope you politely told them NO
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post

Can you post a link?

I think that's my next step after the HF rope lights. I think either that, or a set of those Fox Pictures searchlights.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Rope light fetish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Can you post a link?

I think that's my next step after the HF rope lights. I think either that, or a set of those Fox Pictures searchlights.

With argon lasers hitting the mirrored disco balls, everyone in line of sight as well as surrounding air traffic control space will feel part of the party.

You won't need the 17.5KW generator for the searchlights.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote