Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #61
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I just want to point out that "rope light fetish" would make great name for a band.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rope Light Rally💡

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Prior 2 responses are prize winners! 😀

What is the name of the debut album and their first hit single?

And let me know where the rally is!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Tacky lights have been a part of camping for as long as I can remember. I applaud the new twist.

See you at the rally
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	817.8 KB
ID:	275906. I got them on the inside of my 1969 sovereign and I must say they are quite useful. I can change them to a nice soft white or yellow light that is far less offensive to my eyes then the other internal lights. I also turn on my running light when I camp but I don't leave them on all night.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I like light. I like darkness. I guess I just appreciate variety and being suprised.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I bought some solar rope lights at HF. They are not very bright.
Hmm. Hidden meaning here?
Hey folks, noise is noise whether it be sound , or light. Respect other campers, who might be trying to get away from the noise of the week.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Gee whiz. What's next? The noise made by my air conditioner offends you? Most of the campgrounds present you with a list of rules upon check-in. If lights aren't on the list of don'ts, then campers are in the clear to display them. I do my best to respect those camping around me but it is impossible to anticipate everything that might offend someone. I'm not bothered by others' lights but don't care for dogs that bark when I walk by them. I consider barking another form of noise pollution. I can either live with it or stop camping around other people. It is unrealistic to expect everything to suit you all of the time.
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree, sunnygirl.

Cultivating tolerance makes travel much more enjoyable, otherwise one is constantly annoyed by something.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Granted, noise pollution is by far the worst since sound penetrates objects so easily. Light pollution though shouldn't be taken so "lightly".
The threat of obnoxious noise can be used effectively to deter unwanted campground neighbors. Just place a tuba in an obvious place next to your trailer.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Rope lights, eh? Must look nto this.

No, seriously, I don't mind lights. At a campground, we kind of go with the flow. If someone likes rope lights, more power to 'em.

I did notice, someone said you could plug something into the trailer umbilical to turn on the running lights?

Is that a DIY or a part I can buy or what?
A little late but anyway....we got this tip from a couple from Florida that we met on one of our first trips in our AS

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The threat of obnoxious noise can be used effectively to deter unwanted campground neighbors. Just place a tuba in an obvious place next to your trailer.

Best. Idea. Ever.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
Gee whiz. What's next? The noise made by my air conditioner offends you? Most of the campgrounds present you with a list of rules upon check-in. If lights aren't on the list of don'ts, then campers are in the clear to display them. I do my best to respect those camping around me but it is impossible to anticipate everything that might offend someone. I'm not bothered by others' lights but don't care for dogs that bark when I walk by them. I consider barking another form of noise pollution. I can either live with it or stop camping around other people. It is unrealistic to expect everything to suit you all of the time.
Those are some pretty poor comparisons. It also has nothing to do with "offending". Offending and annoying are two different things.

An air conditioner is something that is installed on like 99.99% of RV's as you simply cannot live in some areas without one. They also make a constant low hum, not like music and bass that catches your attention. HUGE difference between a low steady hum and thumping beats.

A dog barking once and a while when you walk past is called nature and part of everyday life. Dogs and humans pair like no other and an occasional bark isn't egregious. This is a social norm.

Bright rope lights and other extraneous lights left on and lighting the campground up like a circus is COMPLETELY optional. You go out of your way to announce yourselves with "look at me".

Comparing an air conditioner or an occasional dark bark when you walk by to lighting up the side of your neighbors trailer with circus light refraction is completely ridiculous.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Question on the Harbor Freight solar rope lights, about how long would you say they last of an evening? (After a days charge, I mean). Or do they have a timer?

Going to head over to my local HF tomorrow to take a look at them.

Great thread!
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #75
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Rope light fetish?

The question on running lights. Goes back more than fifty years. Having the trailer battery-set run this load if broken down on edge of the highway is highly preferable to having the TV starter battery do the job.

It's also a nice (temporary) way to help someone find your site.

In conjunction with turning on scare lights it should leave no doubt someone is home.

LED strings sound useful enough if for a party. Not so much for an RV park or government campground.

But you want irritation, try some of these drivers with their worn out rigs lit up all night like a clown car at the truck stops. Most of us carry window blinds willingly or not.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #76
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Question on the Harbor Freight solar rope lights, about how long would you say they last of an evening? (After a days charge, I mean). Or do they have a timer?

Going to head over to my local HF tomorrow to take a look at them.

Great thread!
They only lasted part of the evening. They have no timer. Mine didn't last long before going to the dumpster.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
They only lasted part of the evening. They have no timer. Mine didn't last long before going to the dumpster.

Thanks, I'm a big fan of HF for certain things (I like their nitrile gloves for tank dump duty on the RV) but don't go there looking for longest lasting/highest quality merchandise.

I bought a mini-grease gun there that was worse than useless, tried to get it to pump a number of times. Gave up and chucked it in the trash.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Exterior lights on rigs at rv parks are ubiquitous. Every RV supply store sells them. Railing about them isn't going to make them go away, and for some, they are a safety/visibility issue at night.

As for me, I'm still searching for the perfect set of awning lights for my AS. Until I find that set, I'll turn on my running lights so I can easily find my way home in the dark.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a couple of strings of the HF solar lights. I put them out under the trailer when I remember with the solar cells stuck on top of the propane box. They are not very bright but add a nice warm indirect glow. They do have an on/off, slow flash/solid switch. I try to turn them off at bed time as to not offend the easily offended. Not sure how long the charge last but at least 5 hours in my experience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
We use a set of awning lights and a rope light welcome mat that my mother in law made for us, all of which are shut off at bed time. We also run our over the door porch light and it stays on all night. If someone wants to run their rope lights all night, I reckon they have that right as they paid for their spot just as I did. I would hope that if I am doing something to annoy my neighbors they would be grown up enough to talk to me about it, if not to heck with them they can sit there and stew about it like a 10 year old. Picture of my welcome mat attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480706091982.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	276282  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote