Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You don't need 15amp fuse, I usually have a few spares around and it helps to protect the circuit. You could, actually, just use some insulated wire to make the jumper.

Got it, thanks again. I'll definitely look onto this and wire something up. Much obliged.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Got it, thanks again. I'll definitely look onto this and wire something up. Much obliged.

A 10a blade fuse works well. Minor twist and it will pop right in to the 11:00 and 1:00 positions and spark up your clearance lights.

Loved the "bless your heart" comment. 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Rope light fetish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
A 10a blade fuse works well. Minor twist and it will pop right in to the 11:00 and 1:00 positions and spark up your clearance lights.

Loved the "bless your heart" comment. [emoji3]
Life is too short to worry about unhappy people.

Thanks for the fuse tip.

Question: I'm hAving trouble confirming the pin out on the trailer. I assume y'all are jumpering the 12V supply from the trailer to the running lights, right?

I did a quick search on 7 way trailer pinouts, and seems to show #3 (Green, Battery) to #4 (Black, Running lights).

I'm not seeing the #1 to #7.

Which is correct?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hold the 7-pin connector from the trailer facing you so you can see the blade inserts. There is a notch at the top of it. Consider that notch "12:00". The slots on its right and left are 1:00 and 11:00. That's where you could put the blades of your 10a fuse. That covers ground and clearance lights.

I made a version with a 7-pin male connector with those spots hot wired and fused. I just pop it on the trailer 7-pin and I'm good. I later added a connection to the 7:00 position that allows me to run a strip of LEDs on my belt line using 12v power from the batteries.

I do try to be respectful. If folks don't like it, I'm glad to shut it off. I also kill the lights after 10ish. The top row of white lights (which they currently do on newer models) and the belt line are both dimmable (in this pic they're on at full).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479860768.259518.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	275828
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
^^^ Nice! Like the lights.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Well, bless your heart.
You know why there isn't a switch and wiring to turn on road running lights when not attached to a tow vehicle? Because it's stupid, pointless and annoying. Invariably the same person that mod's parking lights to run at night also has rope lights going everywhere.

The vast majority of people don't want a circus parking next to them.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
You know why there isn't a switch and wiring to turn on road running lights when not attached to a tow vehicle? Because it's stupid, pointless and annoying. Invariably the same person that mod's parking lights to run at night also has rope lights going everywhere.

I have to agree with you. We'll said.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post

Just add the smell of fried pickles and you can transport yourself to the midway at the county fair. I dont get it, but I dont get a lot of stuff.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Rope light fetish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hold the 7-pin connector from the trailer facing you so you can see the blade inserts. There is a notch at the top of it. Consider that notch "12:00". The slots on its right and left are 1:00 and 11:00. That's where you could put the blades of your 10a fuse. That covers ground and clearance lights.

Attachment 275828

Thanks again! I was able to repurpose an old umbilical take-off and stuff a 10A blade fuse in #3 and #4. Having the lights on looks great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2369.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	275849

Now all I need is a couple hundred feet of rope light and a pickle fryer and I'm set!

Old 11-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Just add the smell of fried pickles and you can transport yourself to the midway at the county fair. I dont get it, but I dont get a lot of stuff.
I think it's a bit of narcissism. An attitude of: "if I like it, everyone else must like it too!". But noise and light pollution affect other people. It's not the same thing as say; dressing really crazy as that only affects yourself.

Granted, noise pollution is by far the worst since sound penetrates objects so easily. Light pollution though shouldn't be taken so "lightly".
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #51
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I suppose a few hundred feet of rope lights could make some bothersome light pollution. I can't see how the handful of low wattage bulbs that makeup the running lights of a TT could be enough to irritate a rational person. I figure my trailer with the lights on and the curtains open probably puts off more light.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Running lights are actually quite bright and can be seen for miles on a dark night.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
As usual, I seem to be unclear on the concept...We usually fire up the marker lights on arrival about three in the afternoon , as soon as the extra chairs are unfurled... I was told that those lights are the universal signal that the beer is cold, welcome.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #54
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Twobikes,

Feel free to camp next to me anytime. I won't complain about your lights or beer.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #55
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
I was told that those lights are the universal signal that the beer is cold, welcome.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Easier than hoisting a Bud flag!

Happy thanksgiving.

Gary & Linda
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Twobikes,

Feel free to camp next to me anytime. I won't complain about your lights or beer.

Y'all can come camp with us anytime.

Just follow the light to our trailer.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #57
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We'll be there. Heck, we'll even bring some beer with us.

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Here is a solar option for rope lights, $7.99 at Harbor Freight:

http://t.harborfreight.com/solar-rop....google.com%2F

I may go pick one up tomorow, I need an excuse to go to Harbor Freight.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We'll be there. Heck, we'll even bring some beer with us.

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou
Western Washington? Small world. My dad was born in Black Diamond.

Wife and I have grown very fond of Columbia River wines. One of our favorites is a Merlot by St Michelle vinyards. Very drinkable, and reasonably priced at Costco.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chateau_Ste._Michelle
Old 11-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #60
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bought some solar rope lights at HF. They are not very bright.