Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #1

rookie needs books

Folks,

Wannabe Airstreamer needs to get his hands on the best books, videos, etc. to learn the basics about trailers, about Airstreams in particular, what to look for and ask about when diving into the market and descriptions of the different models offered during different decades and what those rigs have and don't have. Figure no question is stupid, but don't know enough to ask even the basic ones and thought I'd come to a likely source.

Regards
scjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi! Welcome and Happy New Year! I am not sure that there are books or videos that are going to fill your need for info. However using this site's search function on darn near any subject you can think of and the search engine at Vintage Airstream archives http://www.vintageairstream.com/ you'll likely learn quite a bit.

There is a pricing guide at Vintage Airstreams also: http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
that many have found helpful.

Enjoy! I hope you find the trailer you want!
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
rookie needs books

Greetings scjefe!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjefe
Folks,

Wannabe Airstreamer needs to get his hands on the best books, videos, etc. to learn the basics about trailers, about Airstreams in particular, what to look for and ask about when diving into the market and descriptions of the different models offered during different decades and what those rigs have and don't have. Figure no question is stupid, but don't know enough to ask even the basic ones and thought I'd come to a likely source.

Regards
I concur with eljay regarding videos, but there are several that will give you some very general information about Airstreams and Airstreaming. You might find one or more of the following to be of interest:

Mobile America, by Huell Howser Productions, Copyright 2002; see:

Huell Howser Productions, Series 3, Mobile America

Roam Sweet Home, Ellen Spiro/Independent Television Service, Copyright 1997; see:

Roam Sweet Home/Independent Television Service
Roam Sweet Home Author Profile and Ordering Information

Silver Palace, An American Travel Adventure, Rob Lightner and Miles Fawcet, Copyright 1992; see:

Silver Palace, An American Travel Adventure

Airstreamers, An American Family, Brian Houston/Road Trip Productions, Copyright 1998; see:

Airstreamers, An American Family

Over the years, I have purchased each of the above videos and each has its unique charm. Most of the mentioned videos are often available through Interlibrary Loan from your local branch library - - your local branch library may also have them on the shelf.

There are also several books out there, but again, the information is very general in nature. You might find one or more of these to be of interest:

Trailer Travel: A Visual History of Mobile America, by Phil Noyes, Bryan Burkhart, Allison Arieff/Gibbs-Smith Publishers, Copyright 2002; see:

Trailer Travel: A Visual History of Mobile America

Airstream: History of the Land Yacht, by Bryan Burkhart, David Hunt/Chronicle Books, Copyright 2000; see:

Airstream: History of the Land Yacht

Ready to Roll: A Celebration of the Classic American Travel Trailer, by Doug Keister, Arrol Gellner, Douglas Keister/Studio Books, Copyright 2003; see:

Ready to Roll: A Celebration of the Classic American Travel Trailer

Airstream, by Robert Landau/Peregrine Smith Books, Copyright 1984; see:

Airstream

RV Repair and Maintenance, by Bob Livingston/Trailer Life Publications, Copyright 2002; see:

RV Repair and Maintenance

Trailer Travel Here and Abroad: The New Way to Adventurous Living, by Wally Byam/David McKay Company, Copyright 1960; see:

Trailer Travel Here and Abroad: The New Way to Adventurous Living

Much like the videos mentioned earlier in this post, I have also acquired each of these books over the past several years. While none of these books will answer all of your questions, each has its own personailty. Many of these publications should also be available through your local branch library through Inter-Library Loan.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

With online access there are many options open to you. Searching gives you many informational sites, as well as using this forum and looking up differents keywords. I also looked on ebay ads to see pictures and selling prices for many trailers they listed. It gives you an idea what's out there. It all comes down to what you really want, based on what you plan to do with it, as well as what is available to you in your price range/ area. I prefer real wood, but we ended up with a newer model which has no real wood or laminates. We purchased this because it was in decent shape, near where we live, and reasonable. In the end, I am finding more and more to like about our 74 Overlander over some others I thought I wanted. It has newer original appliances, plenty of storage, and seems a decent size to vacation in, without being too huge to trailer around. Good luck. Whatever you do, there is a wealth of information out there.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM   #5

Overlander,

I just bought that book RV repair and Mantanance last night. Great book, Very detailed on every appliance in an RV. and it was only 17.95.. Great Value!
CanDaMinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Idea books?

I'm looking for idea books while I try to figure out where I'm headed in re-doing the interior of my '76. I'm not looking for pictures of what the original '70s trailers looked like so much as what others have done with vintage trailers and what I might glean from others for my own. Can someone who is familiar with Douglas Keister's books tell me which has more interior pics? Or would they both be good for ideas for the interior?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I like them both-would have a hard time choosing one over the other. There, I was no help at all, wasn't I? Sorry:< But. . .get them both if you think you'd like them, like I do! Okay, I've said nothing, so I'll creep away. . .
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I like them both-would have a hard time choosing one over the other. There, I was no help at all, wasn't I? Sorry:< But. . .get them both if you think you'd like them, like I do! Okay, I've said nothing, so I'll creep away. . .
I don't really need much convincing to buy books, so if you like both of them equally then that's all the recommendation I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If you are buying Vintage....

You may have overlooked the most important book of all....THE CHECKBOOK

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going