Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Excellent resource, thanks Grant.

Confirming a large steel structure projecting off the rear of the trailer about 3' IMO, with a grey step ladder lashed to the back of the trailer.

You can take the video to Full Screen and pause it at 7-8 seconds to get a gander at all the junk added under/behind the bumper, starting with a hitch receiver (apparently unused). Plus the two black arms going to the rear and various cross pieces. Imagine adding that grey box loaded with 100 pounds plus of stuff, all hanging that far back from the axles and center of gravity.

[Disclaimer -- the above text about the grey box is speculation. "Imagine" being the operative word.]

S W A Y much?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It would be interesting to know the weight of that carrier. This could be as simple as a blow out with a resultant yaw which might have became more pronounced possibly due to the weight of that carrier. That front street side tire looks much like a deflation while the wheel was turning with the resultant destruction of the sidewalls due to a run flat situation. It also could have been a blow out in which the driver upon seeing the trailer yaw with the loss of the tire, made things worse by applying too much braking thus exaggerating the yaw. Lots of pieces to all of this and even the driver may have no idea as to what really happened.

You really have to think fast and understand what needs to be done if a yaw occurs. You have very little time to react and after seeing one occur in front of me, you realize that those having this occur must act almost instinctively. You don't have time to try out different solutions.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Looks like a rather heavy duty bike rack, perhaps for a motorcycle. It is showing excessive stand off for a bicycle rack, but a motorcycle would easily fit there. If it was a motorcycle that could explain a lot.

This is an enclosed storage unit very common in Quebec. They can house bikes and other storage. The company that makes it is Komo Creation. Unfortunately their site is not available right now, but this will give you a picture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=komo...yR3sDDWUPmM%3A
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks gator.

Huge! [4' x 3' x 6']

http://www.ecarriershelving.com/?category_id=31
Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said Jack. All possible indeed.

Also the tire blowouts could have happened in the rollover, as the trailer did at least a 360 IMO, judging from the dents on the top of the roof.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Well said Jack. All possible indeed.

Also the tire blowouts could have happened in the rollover, as the trailer did at least a 360 IMO, judging from the dents on the top of the roof.
The tire with the sidewall damage had been flat "a while". Sidewalls don't shred like that in 50 feet.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The tire with the sidewall damage had been flat "a while". Sidewalls don't shred like that in 50 feet.
An excellent point, thanks for this.

Hopefully the news sources will file updated or new articles, although this is probably unlikely. Any eye witness accounts would be interesting to hear.

Interesting IMO that as more people chimed in here about the photos, a better understanding of things happened, as to possible causes for this bad accident.

Hope the family is OK.

Peter
Old 07-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Another account of the accident, this one with video:
. . .
Thanks again Grant for the video. If you have time, it would be interesting to see if any of the news sources file updated/new articles about this accident (including Janet's 2 sources in Post #1).

Peter
Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Assuming that we will never get any more information about this accident, and that the photos are "it" for "facts" --

In the second photo of the Galerie Photos [link below -- screen capture in next post] are the Jeep and Airstream, with what appears to be that large grey storage box on the right edge of the photo. The details on the box's left edge (as sitting on the ground), look just like the box being carried by the 4 men in the next-to-last photo.

Having both vehicles and the box in the same photo suggests that the box is indeed quite large, as discussed earlier in Post #24.

In my personal opinion, this box was not sitting on the roof of the Jeep. No way. [Reasonable people might differ on this.]

Scary to imagine what it was like inside the Jeep during the roll-over . . .

Once again, hope the family is OK.

Travel safe.

Galerie Photos is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.leplacoteux.com/vehicule-...s-capotage-20/

PS -- Examining the photos is much easier on a real computer screen, or a larger tablet/iPad IMO.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is a screen capture of that second photo, as discussed in the previous post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS accident A 20 JUL 2016.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	590.3 KB
ID:	267320

Copyright 2016 by the publication, and used here as fair public comment of a newsworthy event.

(C) Le Placoteux Kamouraska/L'Islet

491, avenue D’Anjou,
Saint-Pascal, Québec
G0L 3Y0
Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Wow, it seems like that box (presumably including its carrying frame) weigh in at 150# before you start putting anything in it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One of the reporters has advised via email that he did not have any further information from the police about the driver's experience, or the original location of the grey box. Their Facebook page apparently has comments about the size of the tow vehicle etc., in case anyone wants to check there. I assume it is in French, but never joined FarceBook.

Stay safe . . .

FB link on this page:

http://www.leplacoteux.com/vehicule-...s-capotage-20/
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
I wrote to the reporter Maxime Paradis to ask if he had more details. Here is answer in French.

Bonjour M. Wagner,

Sur mes photos, on ne voit pas trčs bien si un support ŕ vélo était accroché sur la roulotte et je ne me souviens plus s'il y en avait un. J'ai pris les photos trčs rapidement.

En ce qui concerne la coquille, je crois qu'elle se trouvait sur le véhicule.

Merci de l'intéręt porté ŕ notre hebdomadaire.

Maxime Paradis
Journaliste - édimestre LePlacoteux.com
Tél. : 418 492-2706 poste 103
web@leplacoteux.com

Basically he is saying that he took the pictures rapidly and does not remember if there was a bike carrier on the Airstream. As for the shell he thinks it was on the car.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Every airplane pilot that I know, studies crash reports.

It appears that some have a problem with speculation. I get that. Facts and physical evidence are scientific. Speculation is usually a part of the reports. Although we have no report, photos do show some detail. Of course, eye witness accounts would sure help with determining cause.

To me it looks like both tires are badly damaged. It's unlikely both tires blew out at the same time.

Facts that we know

#1 The Tow vehicle was a Jeep
#2 The Trailer was an Airstream between 26 and 28 feet.
#3 The location of the accident.
#4 There was cargo
#5 The accident appeared to take place on relatively flat road.
#6 There was a curve in the road ahead of the accident.
#7 No one has to participate in this discussion
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I reasonably confident that the cargo and "the case" is as gator described. The manufacturer matches the name on the "rack" and the shape is correct. Now we don't know what was in it or if it had any bearing on the accident.

Also note that it appears the accident was at the end of an on-ramp. Could they have simply been cut off or merged upon?

In my opinion, many here are grasping at the cause being incorrect configurations or equipment choices when the cause could just be driver error.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looking at all the pictures several times it seems almost certain that the grey box was mounted on the frame on the rear of the trailer. Why else have the frame and platform there? Looking at the pictures from the box company that is where this carrier is designed to be mounted. If so that has to be a factor even if something else actually initiated the accident. Probably the rig seemed okay until something upset it and then it went completely out of control. So the lesson I will take from this, correctly or not, is not to hang a heavy weight on the rear of a Airstream.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Also note that it appears the accident was at the end of an on-ramp. Could they have simply been cut off or merged upon?
From the photos, I didn't notice an indication that this happened on an on ramp.

But I did see rumble strips. I don't know why rumble strips would be on an on ramp.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I feel sorry for any one that rolled a AS. as I rolled one on I24 at Nashville Tenn. in Feb. 1969. [very lucky slush on pavement but did not cause situation] I was very lucky as part of hitch broke letting AS be free of tv. Tv did 180 crossing medium strip heading back No. no damage or injuries but AS did 360 roll over and 180 heading back No. It is a very sick feeling to see As destroyed. In this situation nothing could be prevented by me. Hitch manf. was very helpful and covered all losses including replacement trailer. They also modified hitch design per my recommendation, so I can not say any thing bad about Reese. I still use Reese and think very highly of this brand. [Safety chains did not work if so would have been very bad for tv and me and family.]
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #39
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
From the photos, I didn't notice an indication that this happened on an on ramp.

But I did see rumble strips. I don't know why rumble strips would be on an on ramp.
From the video link posted in #20 above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quebec Rollover.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	267336
Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Rollover in Quebec

There was a grey box installed on the back of the Airstream standing on the black structure shown on some pictures. It looks like the weight of the box was seriously reducing the load on the ball which caused the sway of the rig and the lost of control. The load of the trailer on the towing vehicle must always be around 10% of the weight of the trailer. It is a safety advice.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote