Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I usually "drive" but I don't back. I also have the best driving record. My husband makes me crazy when he drives. He doesn't seem to know that there are these little signs on the side of the road with numbers that are very important. They tell one the SPEED LIMIT, which I'm not sure is a concept my husband understands. I know I am the Hyacinth in this duo, which may be the reason my husband lets me do most of the driving. When we get to the lake he becomes "Mr. Macho" because he can back the trailer and back the boat down the ramp to the lake. Things would be pretty boring if it was up to me. We'd be parked on the road and the boat would never get wet. Men are so important. I'm glad I have one of my own.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
My wife occasionally looks over at me and says, "You did that just to scare me didn't you?" I just reply, "Did what?"

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
My wife occasionally looks over at me and says, "You did that just to scare me didn't you?" I just reply, "Did what?"
Craig -

We don't even have a trailer yet.... but you are secretly my husband, aren't you?

(asta's wife)
Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It's an interesting thing - now that I mostly ride in the passenger seat I see a lot of other what I'd term "very married" men in the passenger seat and I wonder to myself if I look as terrified as most of them? Mind you, when I mentioned that to my snookielumps she was not impressed. I do notice that I have less to say about her driving habits now that this has been happening for some time and I'm unsure if it's that when I'm really afraid I can't make a sound, or just good ol common sense kicking in. I must admit she is doing much better after my coaching though.
Barry
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
.... when I mentioned that to my snookielumps she was not impressed.
Barry - Maybe if you called her something more ...um ... refined than snookielumps, she might be more inclined to drive in a more demur fashion.

Names like sweetiegookums, snookielumps, honeylovums and other terms of endearment make many women just plain nutty! She might be showing you that in her own unique and subtle way......?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
He doesn't seem to know that there are these little signs on the side of the road with numbers that are very important. They tell one the SPEED LIMIT, which I'm not sure is a concept my husband understands.
I believe that my husband thinks SPEED LIMIT is the minimum speed, don't most of them? Unfortunately, I am the one who has the most recent speeding ticket.... Long story ~ involves a ultrasound and lots of drinking water and 75 miles to drive... then there was the local yokle cop in the middle of nowhere that had his radar on ...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
This thread is too RICH not to throw in my comments...
As I write I'm just inside the AZ border on I-40 eastbound after a cross country drive to S. Oregon.
We've nicknamed this trip, "I survived highway 1" as we drove the northern stretch this past weekend from Leggett to the Golden Gate Bridge. Very cool highway for sports cars and not bad in the Honda minivan, but I'm glad the bus stayed home for at least that reason and the price of gas lately.
As I look at the odometer I note that I'm 4623 miles into the vacation drive, and Julie did manage to drive about 40 miles the day before yesterday... her total involvement.
BTW she flew out today from S. San Francisco on the second leg of her flying as she flew west to meet me.
Julie and I have a system.... I drive....she flies. Works for us and I get the vehicle, dogs, and me... out to where we start the vacation.
Works for us.... you might try it sometime...
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Thanks Barry, now my wife will not feel alone. She too has to tolerate my being a passenger from time to time.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
terms of endearment

snookielumps?...... that is just TOO good....we could start a new thread here....how bout "doll face"...snookielumps.....
norbylumps

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I must admit that Ive only called her Snookielumps to her face once......Sweet Baboo'ette is about as close as I get to cutsie names when she's within hearing distance - which is amazingly far it would seem......I value my life far too much to risk going beyond that.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Craig -

We don't even have a trailer yet.... but you are secretly my husband, aren't you?

(asta's wife)
Well, he was looking at the exact same trailer that I have. Does that tell you anything? Hmmmm, he and I must think alike.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
After being forced to ride shotgun due to a 24 hour bug while in the midst of our travels I found the best remedy to be a ballcap brim. I pulled it down over my face to avoid the temptation of a running commentary on why it might be best not to ride in the slipstream of an 18 wheeler. Yikes! We're still married.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Womin drivers

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. There is a lot of commonality among us male drivers. The sharing here has reaffirmed my belief that women really do share the same rib. They have the ability to keep us in line in spite of ourselves, and can tolerate most anything. I think it's the birthing experience that tempers everything else in their lives. My wife, on more than one occasion, has invoked that experience to explain why I have no right to complain about anything.

I've been in the car as a passenger with her, and I'm amazed we're both still alive. She has a Maxizma that she drives like a Cobra GT. I'm floored that I have more speeding tickets than she, but it's a woman thing.

She won't drive the Excursion with or without the Stream. On the plus side, she keeps us on our designated course in spite of my attempts to show her that the shortcut is not a cul-de-sac. Her observances of the road ahead have kept me from driving over silly people driving 35 in a 70, or someone's excess rubber left in the middle of the road, turning left from the right hand lane - we've all experienced these cautious drivers. When we arrive she is out of the Excursion so she can tell me where to go, and does a wonderful job.

Barry's post is my excuse for not asking my precious to drive the Excursion. I wouldn't be able to explain the smacking noise coming from the cab, or my red cheeks when I got out. She's the best navigator a guy could have, but I'd have to ride in the trailer if she were to drive. A mere safety precaution.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
MEN! I've owned Airstreams since the 70's and pulled them unaided by men for many miles. I also drive at least 1000 miles a month in my work and probably 40,000 miles a year showing dogs. My husband had never owned a trailer before marrying me . The last ticket I got was in 1986. We won't go in to my husband's driving record. My husband also sleeps when I drive, even pulling the trailer. To my great dissapointment, I cannot back; however, I think that gives my husband a sense of superiority. We are a team. Of course I bought the Toyota step-side to pull the trailer myself. I love it - Bob's a Ford man, but I sometimes give him a thrill and let him drive my sexy truck.