Old 08-15-2002, 08:40 AM   #1
Question Restore or Sell?

Have inherited grandfather's 1967 International Ambassador 24 foot. The local Airstream dealer has evaluated its condition and tells me it will cost at least $4500 to restore just the major components and systems. The overall condition is fair. I have no idea what to do as far as the value. Thanks!

DrKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas

Depends what your plans are, do you plan on going camping? if so you already have a trailer. Do the appliances work or does the dealer just plan on replacing them because they are old? if they work there is nothing wrong with continuing to use them. If your mechanicaly inclined you can do alot of the repairs yourself, get a service & owners manual to help you along. Just ask with any questions you have.

83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 09:40 AM   #3
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I would take another look at the trailer. What you have there is a fantastic unit. Wish I had one of those. If you like camping and outdoors, then keep it and fix it up. Fact is, a new one is over $40K.
If you are not into outdoors and camping, and don't have a suitable tow vehicle ( look in the forums, there are plenty of treads on tow vehicles) then perhaps it would be best to sell the trailer.
Check the running gear first, if that's ok, then you can start using the trailer, even if soe of the interior stuff isn't working right.
This forum can answer very many questions, like John suggested already.
If your dealer wants $4500.00 to restore the trailer, then you will end up with a great trailer for just the repair investment. Most of us spend this much on a mostly functional trailer, and then as much over time to get it finished and personalized. But it much depends on the overall condition of the trailer. Hard to judge without seeing it.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice! I probably don't have the skill it takes to take on a project like this. How can I determine a fair market value if I decide to sell?
DrKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unfortunately, that's not a simple question...

Check out Price vs. Condition section on the Vintage Airstream website.

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
If you just sell your Airstream you will probaly regret it for a long time. You have an opportunity to really have a great and unique trailer that is personally yours. At least that is how we think about our 1972 Overlander. We are almost done reburnishing it and so far it has taken 6 years. We have used it the whole time no matter what. It is now way more than a trailer to us. We didn't really know alot about fixing trailers but the help you can get is amazing and if you really want to do something you can.

mareinmn is offline   Reply With Quote