Old 09-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Adventure Advisor = salesman. LMAO, only in kalifornia.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Respectfully, I didn't mean to offend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Apologies for the recent sarcasm, I hope your skin is not thin. mandolindave's underlying concerns are worth exploring with your customers, although his tone could have been a little more supportive of your goodhearted inquiries IMO.
No need to apologize for me. I meant what I said. I realize that the printed word can be misinterpreted, given the lack of inflection, and facial cues, which is why I added a disclaimer at the end of my post.

As far as sarcasm, and taking off the kid gloves, on a scale of one to ten, that was about a two for me. I'm thinking a six would have gotten me banished from the forum. Point taken…I'll dial it down to a one, unless the original poster has a sense of humor and is curious as to what a ten sounds like….ha ha

Old 09-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
People sometimes seem to latch onto a dream... such as "living in an Airstream"...when they simply don't yet have the means to achieve it.

It would be an unusual homeowner that is very much the exception, rather than the rule, it seems to me, who would be interested in setting up full hookups to rent a spot long term to strangers.

They would then become landlords, with all those accompanying trials, tribulations, and liability issues.

It seems the idyllic dream of the young-and-not-yet-financially-stable...like backpacking across Europe, living in a VW bus and traveling the country, etc.

They want it all, and now, and want others to help them.

I could be wrong, but if it were one of my kids wanting to live in an Airstream on the cheap, I would direct them to the hard reality of financing any dream thru working and saving for it.

Most of us don't get dreams such as this in young adulthood, because we simply don't have the resources to fund them.

My 2 cents.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yup!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Maggie, I think? David is wants to help folks who already have an Airstream.

Young folks who spot an Airstream on the road, and get the great idea of saving a lot of money by buying a cool trailer, and a lot, to live on the cheap is a different story.

They might buy a used RV, spend a year and a ton of money fixing it up, or buy a new one and lose a ton of money driving it off the lot. Only to find out how much a well, septic tank, electric service, and communications service costs to install. Not taking into account zoning laws and winter camping issues.

When buying a small home might be about the same price, and you have a chance of being able to sell it without loosing too much money.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I took Dave's statement about a young couple looking as "wanting to buy", and needing an inexpensive place to set up to then live in full time.

Either way, this is a dilemma of the dreamers-without-financial-security...it seems to me.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Don't know how to rate this on the sarcasm level ????

I plan to buy a small home and turn it into a trailer.

( joking…..I'm kidding already )
Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Oh my goodness !!!!!

I think that I might have a weird sense of humor.

But I really crack myself up sometimes.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I plan to buy a small home and turn it into a trailer.

( joking…..I'm kidding already )
I was just reading an article about someone who did just that...built a tiny home on wheels for he and his family, that can go with them as they travel.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

I 've failed when I have to explain a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I was just reading an article about someone who did just that...built a tiny home on wheels for he and his family, that can go with them as they travel.

Maggie
Yeah many tiny homes are on wheels….But I meant buying an existing home and putting it on wheels. The joke being a trailer is not designed to be a stationary domicile, and a stick house is not designed to roll down a highway.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
And so the thread devolves . . .

Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #26
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Resources for renting land or place to park

BTW, welcome to the forum, glad to have you here waltzing happily amidst a garden of curmudgeons. Regarding this topic maybe you shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque, but here we are.

If your potential buyers are serious about full-timing in an Airstream, they're going to have to do that where they can park it at a reasonable cost. The Bay Area, by and large, isn't going to be one of those if they have a reasonable commute in mind. Neither is Seattle or Portland. There's more than local ordinances and zoning, btw. Never forget the all powerful HOA, which inevitably hates an RV in the driveway, even more than it hates rusty old cars on blocks.

So, where could they go with their Airstream? If they have the right kind of job (usually in Tech) they could go boondock on public lands (BLM) for some portion of the year, like many folks who wind up in Quartzite for the winter. I actually know an entire group of young full timers, many with children, who do exactly that and do it quite successfully because they've actually thought it through.

As Maggie suggested earlier, if they don't have financial security via a job that lets them work remotely then buying an Airstream and dragging it around looking for the place to live is a really bad idea. RVs and their tow vehicles are expensive to own and operate, even if the camping is free. If they get into this without enough capital and a plan to survive the experience financially, they won't. They'll wind up somewhere with a couple of flat tires or a busted-something-expensive, begging for money on GoFundMe so they can get back home again and park the RV at the "Mom & Dad Hotel" until they figure it out or sell the thing and rent an apartment so they can commute to their jobs.

So, let's also be clear about who's helping whom.

Selling a trailer right now helps you, right now, due to quotas and such. That's fine, I respect that.

OTOH, selling them a trailer right now may hurt them if they don't actually have a plan that has a chance of working.

Best wishes and again, welcome to the Forum.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #27
Adventure Advisor SF Bay

Fairfield , California
Thank you all for your input, the sarcasm is not offensive but I did forget how forums can be, LOTS of assumptions

I was basically just looking for other resources other than Craigslist to find long term living locations. Thank you to those that got that and gave valuable input.

The young couple that I talked about are already buyers, they are not "prospective buyers" they have the means and purchased last week but the spot they had picked out fell through so I'm trying to help them find something else.

OTRA15, thank you for your help especially, those other threads have a lot of great info. I'll try and contribute when I can to other threads but selling Airstream is a VERY busy job right now and we are the #1 dealership in the country. Basecamp is kinda like the new Iphone, everyone wants it because we don't have it! I'll give my thoughts on it soon, does look pretty cool though.

- David

p.s. My airdavid.com website isn't up yet, just bought that domain and working on it now. My background is ecommerce and tech so plan to use that to sell Airstream
Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Can I live in my camper... in your yard? I don't want to pay very much. I'll need to be close to your house so I can hook up to your sewer, and water, and electric. Most likely, your neighbors won't mind very much. If they report you, you might have to declare the income when you file, but you can write off the finders fee. Most likely, your insurance company won't find out, and charge you extra, ya know, in case I get hurt on your property and sue you. If you are not interested, is there a lot next to you that's for sale? Maybe I could buy it and live there…in my camper.

See what your up against? Then there is the zoning issues. ( you can research that because I'm too lazy get into that…but I'll give you two. The town I live in doesn't allow clothes lines, The county where my country home is, doesn't allow you to live in a trailer that is shorter than 50 feet )

Just thinking that most folks that can afford a really nice location, with pretty views, won't need the income, or want to give up their privacy.

Folks that would be willing to give up their privacy, because they need a few extra bucks, might not have a very desirable location to camp long term.

Remember all those annoying cliches? There are no free lunches, You reap what you sew, You get what you pay for

I'm sure you could find some nice places, but they might be in the middle of nowhere, hopefully not next to a meth lab, or a pig farm.

Hope you got a chuckle, and aren't offended by obnoxious sarcasm ha ha.
very good points...and entertaining as well...