Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Renting a Space To Work On And/Or Store Airstream?

I'm curious as to where you all store your trailers? Do the majority of you store them at your homes? Covered? Anyone use an RV Storage facility?

For those of you who have completed renovations, where did you do this work? Any essential features/functionalities of a "work space" I need to keep in mind?

Just researching how everyone else handles storage/work spaces before I taking any plunge. I can't store the trailer at my residence, so I've got to find other arrangements.

Does anyone located around the Houston area have advice? My current plan is to try to locate something off 290 out of the city but not so far out that it's inconvenient for me to make it over there and work. The 290 location was selected as it's Hill Country/Austin bound and I plan to do most of my weekend expeditions in that direction. Somewhere off of I-10 Northwest of the city should work in that case as well. I'm open to any suggestions.
fleurdenola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Look at the small city airports along 10. Hangars in some of these places are reasonable, most have utilities in place. Security is good and people at airports are usually great folks. Theres lots of maintenance talent there too.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Look at the small city airports along 10. Hangars in some of these places are reasonable, most have utilities in place. Security is good and people at airports are usually great folks. Theres lots of maintenance talent there too.
What great advice, thank you! I've got a private pilot in the family based out of Houston who could probably help locate a space in one of these, and I never thought to explore that avenue.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
As far as storage goes, there are several RV/boat storage places on the west side of Katy that are reasonable. There are also two massive RV dealerships Camping World and another one), who will store RVs/trailers on their open lots. All options just described are uncovered lots.

I am working on a shell-off renovation at my house, and I live in the Heights. Back yard is the size of a postage stamp, so I have had to get creative with the way I use space. There is no HOA to forbid my activities, and so far my neighbors have been tolerant. I find it very convenient to be able to step out back and work on my trailer for an hour or two each night. If I had to drive somewhere to do the work, this already slow process would take a decade. Yes, working outside in the heat of a Houston summer sucks.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I am working on a shell-off renovation at my house, and I live in the Heights.
Good to know. I am considering a move to the Heights in August/September and was thinking it would be possible to keep it on site there, but wasn't sure. The Heights is a quirky classy, so I thought an Airstream in the backyard would go over better than where I am now (Upper Kirby)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I would love to go in with someone to rent a small warehouse or Hanger for 4 or 5 rigs and provide work space here in the Houston are. I am on the SW part of Houston and store my 1976 Sovereign in garage type storage facility at Hwy 6 and 288. It works fine but no space for working. I have 2 Airstream's now and I am now looking for storage for the 39' motor home.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We restored our '56 Safari outside in our backyard on a 20x22 slab & in our standard 2-car garage. This made it a no-car garage for awhile, but it is do-able. We've since moved and are building a 30x40 pole barn for future renovation projects and on-site storage. But we went from a small city-sized lot to 2-acres, so we have the room now.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Winter storage question for Ohio

I am a new owners (I my Excella!) and I am thinking about where to park in winter now. We have high winds in the spring and fall> trees surround property>damage to AS>

So....store at an outside treeless facility? Pay the premium for an inside storage spot? I gather that the RV places that apply wraps over the vehicle are not good for an AS?

If you are not in Ohio, remember: snow, ice, melt, water, snow, ice (repeat for 3+ months)
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not to bust any bubble, but in my personal experience, hanger space at small airports usually has a waiting list for airplane owners seeking cover for their pride and joy. The primary item in the hanger has to be an airplane and a car can be there when on a trip.

Probably have more luck on renting a small warehouse in an industrial area.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mine has been stored a variety of places. There was an old airport near the house that had been decommissioned, I was there for a while until they decide to tear down the hangers and build a subdivision. I found storage for 6 months at another small airport a bit further away with the understanding that if someone wanted the space for a plane I would have to give it up. I also stored it in an old hay barn for about a year. Currently it is sitting in my backyard with the belly pan off and the tanks out of it.

I do agree that having it close to home makes it easier to work on. We are working on getting our survey and zoning mess straightened out, when we are done with that we are building a new 36'x50' barn that will have a center bay tall enough for the Airstream.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurdenola View Post
I'm curious as to where you all store your trailers? Do the majority of you store them at your homes? Covered? Anyone use an RV Storage facility?

For those of you who have completed renovations, where did you do this work? Any essential features/functionalities of a "work space" I need to keep in mind?

Just researching how everyone else handles storage/work spaces before I taking any plunge. I can't store the trailer at my residence, so I've got to find other arrangements.

Does anyone located around the Houston area have advice? My current plan is to try to locate something off 290 out of the city but not so far out that it's inconvenient for me to make it over there and work. The 290 location was selected as it's Hill Country/Austin bound and I plan to do most of my weekend expeditions in that direction. Somewhere off of I-10 Northwest of the city should work in that case as well. I'm open to any suggestions.
An old hay barn in Price, Utah, about 90 minutes from my house. No utilities but it is covered, locked, and cheap. I take the batteries home with me in the winter. The farmer is talking about tearing it down and building another one. I don't know where I fit in those plans. But I'll worry about that when it happens. This doesn't help you in Houston, does it?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote