Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
Rent/Lease/Borrow Airstream for Winter

I am new to the forums and airstreams in general. I was wondering how common is it for airstreams to be rented out for the winter from those in the colder states? I am looking to purchase an airstream but think it would make more sense to have a test run of sorts with the specifics before making a purchase. My plan would be to take it down to Florida for the winter as an example.

I also thought it would be a win/win as the person who would usually put it into storage would save that money and of course make a little during the winter months. I haven't looked into questions like insurance for example just wondering if this is something that happens at all. Thank you for any response or direction.
SCDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
USAdventure rents RV's; not sure about Airstreams tho.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might have more luck looking at someone in Florida who would rent you an airstream and set it up someplace for you.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Airstream2Go will rent just a trailer or a trailer+SUV rig for you to try out the Airstreaming thing. They have locations in LA, Vegas, Bozeman and Rhode Island.

https://airstream2go.com/

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

I think you'll find that most Airstream owners have invested enough money, time, and emotion into their Airstreams that they're unwilling to turn them over to anyone who's not willing to leave two quarts of their own blood for a deposit. No amount of rental income is worth the anxiety of wondering if it will be returned in the same condition it was rented out.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am reluctant to even turn over the keys to the service manager at my Airstream dealer, let alone a complete stranger!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just another data point: our Airstream will never be rented out. The only person that gets to use it besides me is our youngest son, who is the one that bought it before transferring it to me. My other children might get to use it after rather intense training.

Last 'stranger' that asked if it could be "borrowed" got told they had three chances: Fat, Slim, and None.

Nope, not enough money in the world to rent it. My attitude is, like what you see? Buy your own...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Despite being new to the forums and to Airstream in general, it didn't take you long to learn the consensus opinion of A/S owners concerning renting their units (think: family members), so well expressed by rmkrum and Protagonist. The retail rental option you were given was also spot-on, but is likely to be unrealistic from a cost standpoint for a long-term rental, such as for the entire winter.

I wanted to throw out another option for your consideration, and to garner thoughts from others on this thread: what about locating a used A/S being privately sold that you think you'd like to get, then renting it with an option to buy from the owner, particularly one who hasn't moved his unit, may need the money, and is facing diminished interest during winter months? You could identify such listings using the Airforums classifieds, as well as other sources.

In addition to seeking comments from SCDONOVAN and those already engaged in this discussion, I wonder if anyone has done this and would care to comment? Good luck!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Try this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...uy-169885.html
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
That's a really good idea, that's at the top of my list to reach out, thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
Very helpful thank you for posting that, I will check out the link.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As runswithdogs already took the time to locate the thread on this topic I would suggest you follow that link. Lots of good information. I did rent from Airstream2Go out of Bozeman last summer for one full month just to make sure I really wanted to spend 100k + on a new Classic and another nice chunk of change on the appropriate TV. Admittedly is was expensive but far cheaper to rent one than to purchase one and find out later that I hated it like a lot of people have done. If you are on the fence about buying one for yourself and you have never RV before I highly recommend renting from an organization that is set up to do so. Keep in mind that renting is much more fun in respect that you don't have to worry about things not working, owning...everything is now on you. So the rest of the story is that I did buy and I love it. Sold the big house and everything in it, the two cars and all the stuff and live full time in my Airstream and can't imagine ever going back to that lifestyle. It's kinda the adult version of running away from home, nicely.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

Poor Welcome for new comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Just another data point: our Airstream will never be rented out. The only person that gets to use it besides me is our youngest son, who is the one that bought it before transferring it to me. My other children might get to use it after rather intense training.

Last 'stranger' that asked if it could be "borrowed" got told they had three chances: Fat, Slim, and None.

Nope, not enough money in the world to rent it. My attitude is, like what you see? Buy your own...
This post would make me reconsider a AS just on Attitude alone. No way to welcome a new comer!
ActionJ-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
You don't loan your wife, chainsaw or Airstream out!
madpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiper View Post
You don't loan your wife, chainsaw or Airstream out!

Ya given but there are ways of addressing it other than attitude!
ActionJ-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Palm Bay , Florida
Tow vehicles

My wife and I are ordering a 33ft classic
My dilemma amount many is choosing the right tow vehicle to get the job done.
I am leaning towards an F250 xlt. Confused about axle ratios and gas vs. diesel.
I looked at the 2500 Silverado also.
Looking for the good and the bad.
Thanks
Airstream130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJ-2012 View Post
Ya given but there are ways of addressing it other than attitude!

It's not an attitude, it's a lifestyle. Last time I loaned out an expensive piece of hardware, it can back broken, and no apology or compensation was ever offered. It cost me hours and hundreds of $$ to repair that tool. I flat no longer loan out expensive stuff without coming along to be the sole operator.

Besides, at my current ripe old age, I have earned the right to a little attitude about certain things. NOT Loaning out expensive Airstream is one of them. If that offends, I'm sorry, but that's policy at my house...

Search the forums for a similar thread, and you will find that many, many Airstreamers have a similar opinion about renting or loaning out their precious AS. We are mostly willing to give tours and discuss Airstream topics endlessly, but I believe I'm being conservative when I say darn near NONE of them would rent out their shiny aluminum trailer...

There are commercial firms that are willing to rent out a nice Airstream and tow vehicle (at a nice high price!) to anyone interested in sampling the experience.

Professional curmudgeon, and that's how it goes. [emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
SCDonovan, welcome to the forums...it is a good place to learn some good info about RV lifestyle & Airstream brand.

I think A/S owners are more likely to widely travel than some other RV brand owners.

I don't have an Airstream to rent, but respect the knowledge & experience of this forum's members. I appreciate being a forum member, too

It may surprise you about the difficulty in finding a good campground in Florida in the winter. That is high season there, and more so the further south you go.

Already you are a bit late. If I was going this winter, I would have made arrangements before I left the CG in April. That's what I did for the last 4 winters.

You can usually find a few scattered nights...but it's sad to be in a good spot & want to stay, but they can only let you stay 2 more nights. And lucky at that.
Florida is very popular with RVers in the wintertime.

Good luck and hope you stick around.

Let's Roll !
Wolf. ��
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks for the advice, yeah we are currently looking at something we can tow so 21 feet or below and really wanted to test it out. Possibly using it as an outdoor oasis while at a family member's home and then extended outings as we gain more comfort and steam with the idea.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
I appreciate the honesty personally, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to rent/lease/borrow they paid a high dollar amount for and especially if they had a bad experience already. It would have to be the right person and the right situation for both parties, while a hand shake is good for a friend this transaction would be very similar to a lease with a landlord including a written contract, security deposit, etc.

I prefer brutal honesty otherwise I don't understand much
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks Wolf. Again really good advice. Our every changing plan is to set up at a family member's house and use this as additional space living and encourage us to travel a great deal while in FL. The reason this is a great comment is I had not even considered the RV parks and extended stays with people flocking to FL, learning more and more with each comment!