Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Remembering 9/11's Tenth Anniversary While on the Road

The "Fly at Night" (FAN) Airstream will be on embarking upon her shakedown cruise this week. On the tenth anniversary of 9/11, FAN will be parked at a RV park at the foot of a towering mountain.

The profundity of the location will be humbling.

I want to honour those who gave so much on 9/11. I have been trying to locate an American flag. Do you think I can find one in Canada? I wonder if Americans have the same problem finding a Canadian flag. I will probably have to print one off from the internet and make my own little flagpole.

This Sunday will resurrect the individual and collective memory. Many Canadians were also killed on that horrible day in September. A Canadian flag will be juxtaposed with the stars and stripes.

This photo is so hauntingly beautiful.......

On 9/11 I will place it on top of the propane tank cover with a rose from my garden and a candle.

One little light flickering in the wilderness.....
so many years later.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
ummmm.....my intentions are good, but I just thought of something. Lit candles wouldn't meld well with propane, would they?

Not to fear. Will use the battery-operated tea lights.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When it happened, I was in Denver, on a business trip with a colleague. I was shaving with the TV news on, turned up, and when I heard what was happening, at first I didn't believe it. I was sure it was something like the old radio broadcast by Orson Wells, "The War of the Worlds".

I stood there, with my mouth hanging open, in total disbelief.

We went to our meeting, and the people we were meeting up with took us to a restaurant for lunch, but no business was discussed. Lots more incredulous stares.

We stayed a couple more nights in our hotel, thinking that the airlines might start flying again, but the truth became apparent, and so we drove our rental car to Fargo, North Dakota from where we took a bus to Winnipeg, Manitoba. The next morning, Saturday, we were on the first flight out of the Winnipeg airport since the 11th. A lot of very nervous people at that airport, both staff and passengers.

That colleague and I don't work together any more, but we have talked every September 11th since, and this year will be no exception.

History won't forget this day, not ever.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote