Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Berlin
Send a message via MSN to Hagen
Regulations in Germany for Airstreamer

Hello Airstreamer Fan!

Only times again my apology according to standard for the bad English, but we work here with a translator. Now I would like to write times over the difficulties in Germany over the restoration of our Airstreamers. Which perhaps also some other members from Germany to confirm can do. Here in Germany there is two authorities the TUEV and DEKRA means. These two authorities ensure for the fact that in Germany the vehicles are in a normal condition. Each vehicles must every two years for examination there. Likewise these authorities are also responsible for which concerns the security of the electrical connection, gasanlagen and the fensterglas. First which happens to one in Germany, if one acquired a Airstreamer and for the road it liked to permit it is that one must renew the axle and the pole completely. Here no trailer or camper those gives to be braked electrically separated only mechanically or with air pressure and therefore the change. Also the electrical connection for headlight, stop light and signal light must be changed, because for example with us the signal light yellow and not red is as in America, but that is different from Land of the Federal Republic to Land of the Federal Republic. Likewise applies also to the gasanlagen in the camper, since there is a European standard in Germany. There devices may be taken only with the safety seal (GS) in enterprise. All devices this indication do not have, with exception of campers the one special permission or under inventory protection, do not apply that. That unfortunately does not apply however to Airstreamer from the USA. In Germany the gas units for campers must 30mbr pressure have and be equipped with a zuendsicherung, which is to prevent the inadvertent leaking out of gas. This happens in such a way, should the flame times go out with gas cooker or heating within 60 seconds the gaszufuhr is interrupted. That is to have been it times only briefly over so some difficulties with the restoration of a Airstreamers in Germany. But which one does not do everything for its hobby.

By Hagen

Homepage: http://www.Chevy-Van-Globetrotter.de.tf
Homepage: http://www.Airstreamer.de.tf
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Entschuldigen Sie bitte mein Deutsches, ich auch verwendet English to German translator

Mit allen, die Sie tun müssen, rüsten Sie Ihren Luftstrom für die Straße, Sie muß sie wirklich lieben aus! Und alle wir beschweren uns über unsere einfachen Wiederherstellungen....

Gutes Glück der Rest Ihres Projektes!

Quote:
Please excuse my German, I will use an English to German translator

With all you need to do to equip your Airstream for the road, you must really love them! And we all complain about our simple restorations....

Good luck with the rest of your project!
Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:03 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Ach Du Lieber ( Oh Dear!)

Zum Glueck muss ich diese Uebersetzer nicht verwenden. Habe in der Schule beim Englischunterricht schoen aufgepasst und fleissing Hausaufgaben gemacht.........

Fortunaltely, I don't have to use the translators. I paid close attention to English in school, and always did my homework.......

Anyways - reading Hagen's report of the German requirements for safety makes me agree with Shari; Hagen must reallylove the Airstream trailer and Americana to go through all the changes needed comply with their rules and regulations.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
So Uwe...

How did my internet translator do? Did I offend anyone? Is there a better one you would recommend?

Shari
Old 11-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Oha,
es waere einfacher ein Oberweserdampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaen zu sein, als einen Luftstrom in Deutschland durch den Tuev zu kriegen!

Oha,
it would be easier to be a captain for the Upper Weser Steamboat Company than getting an Airstream through the german inspection.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
TUV

Have any of you checked out Thomas Lasser's (I think that's his name) Airstream frame restoration from Germany? He had to rebuild a new frame from scratch, and put in hydrolic (I think) brakes. Check out his pictures on Airstream Photos .com! The work looks first class, torsen axles and all! I wish I could figure out how to translate.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
3Ms75Argosy ~

A few posts up I posted a link to an English to German (+ lots more!) translator tool. Here it is again:

Internet Translator Tool

It's really quite easy to use, just copy your message into the box and "click". It'll do all the work for you... However, Uwe will have to tell us how well it works

Good Luck!

Shari
Old 11-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Berlin
Send a message via MSN to Hagen
Thank YOU

Ohhhha!

Hello Airstreamer Fans!

Thanks for your active interest in my text over the regulations in Germany. Thought it would not have one was reminiscent in such a way finds. To the topic is still one to be brought in, since Germany to the European union be belonged the regulations further developed (intensifies). But prevents us to make not further. We know that it in the states and England more simply are such vehicles to be repaired. Achso, to which English which we cannot do unfortunately, we do not have in the school already watched out however at our time gave it English. We come from the former GDR and the foreign language number 1 Russian had been there, which we do not control also more. We hope it apologetic nevertheless our bad English and thank for your active interest.

By Dorit & Hagen

Homepage: http://www.airstreamer.de.tf
Homepage: http://www.Chevy-Van-Globetrotter.de.tf
Translator Englisch-German:):)
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Wink

Hi u all. Today I just got my 1979 Safari from USA via Germany, where it has been changed according to the regulations of the German TUEV. Since Germany as well as Austria is part of the European Union I hope there will be no need for further technical changes according to the Austrian TUEV. Right now my new silver-coach is standing in front of my house and is awaiting a kind of restoration of the interieur. Everything is okay, but u always can make things better ...
As soon as I have made photos of my Airstream I will put it in the net.
Best regards and have nice holidays,
Hans
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hallo Hans,
Gratuliere zum neuzugang und viel spass beim restaurieren. Als alle erst kontroliere deine bodenplate.
MfG
alex
Bubbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:46 PM   #11
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
collectible in FRANCE is a solution

hi there;
Sorry for my german, a couple of years don't get me to speak or to write in a good way;

Just to indicate than in FRANCE, we have the chance to ride the airstream with a collectible tittle . to get that, the caravan or other imported vehicles, have to be 25 years old minimum, collectible interest, or rarre, and been accepted as , by the French old vehicle association ( FFVE ) who delivers you this title . Of course, some restrictive in riding... you have to declare when you ride , if you gone away your region. But you can ride with all the genuine equipments... to you to invest in options to ride safety, to get your special license driver, to respect capacities laws....

So you'have'nt to rebuilt in new, your airstream .

NB; congratulation for your new airstream in Germany;
Mine is arrived in Belgium to FRANCE, last monday ( picture); After having deposit it, the boat has sinked in front of my city...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford&airstream.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1102  
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:04 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
brunoffrance

Your photo reminds me of what I remember of France.

I spent one year flying out of Chambley (near Metz) in 1961-1962. I spent more time in clouds there in one year than in all the rest of my Air Force career. My last visit to France was a week in Grenoble on business about 1993.

I loved your country and I would love to be able to explore it in an Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
me too about USA

Hi,
you'dl like to travel in FRANCE with your airstream because you'r american and me, I'dl like to take mine to ride again on the US roads because I love USA: How we can do ?
I've imported a piece of America... what a piece !...an airstream; As I've said to the prior american owner, it's a piece of the american dream in FRANCE, now, and the dream became a reality.

What a souvenir ,to have ridden with that to east coast..

See you soon on french roads

Bruno.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
me too!

Bruno,

I'd like to use your A/S as well, but will need to pass on the tow vehicle. Or maybe that is used for cigarette smuggling? Good cover, "medical wastes".

(Sorry for the American sense of humor, we are all friends here, right?

Chas
Old 12-23-2002, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ship sunk?

Bruno, I'm so glad you got the Airstream off BEFORE the ship sunk!!
Did you figure out where to buy propane gas in France? What else will you need to do to your trailer. I'm curious, how many horsepower and torque does your van have? I've been looking at the passenger version of the Mercedes "Sprinter" (imported and sold by Freightliner) in the USA. It's a diesel powered van. Have fun! Please post more photos when you have a chance.
Marc
Old 12-24-2002, 12:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
SO LUCKY

Bruno, I read the article about the freighter that sunk. 2900 cars and suvs were lost - most from BMW, & Volvo!! Glad yours was not among them.
Take care,
Marc
Old 12-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #17
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Merçi beaucoup

Hi everyone;
Merçi beaucoup to have red my little message and the story of my boat ...
You don't imagine how was my surprise when I saw it on the TV, on saturday, when I realise I have fetched it only three days before. The must was when my US shipping agent talk me about shipping assurance; I've decide to take an all risks coverage one if my Airstream diseaper on the sea and he laughted...

My van "MEDICAL WASTE" is my proffessional truck; I work for my own and i collect infectious waste from medical activities to be treated . I've made choice in this name because I wanted an american word and to afraid the french national waste groups, thinking I was a branch company of your Waste management company...

This is an European FORD TRANSIT, 15' for 120 cv , equiped with LPG engine . honesty, it is a bit limit to tow the 27' but enough. The maximun towing capacity is 1800 kg, and i think it's the weight of the 27';
i've equiped on it your famous square tow bar to put the one I've found in the airstream with the EAZ equalizer bars;

About "Mercedes", they have a great reputation in fiability but prices are too high, compared with FORD, but this is Mercedes, the great german company.

thank you one more time,

Bruno.