Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Recommendation - purchase sight unseen

Thinking about purchasing an Airstream in Melbourne FL and we are located in Manitoba Canada. We already called the private seller on few occasions and have seen multiple pictures of the unit. Everything sounds good but I wanted to cover all the basis and looking for advice.

What is the best way to proceed with the deposit, the paper work and then the final payment.

I'm not sure how we will proceed with the transportation logistics. That will be the next step...
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
There are a number of people who will inspect a trailer for you here on the forum. I HIGHLY recommend that you take advantage of their services!! Payment can be done by PayPal, even if you do not have an account. It is very safe.

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Buying sight unseen

There is a section on this forum where you can find trusted Airstreamers who will go look at the trailer and give you a full report on it's condition. It's on the main portal page on the right hand side.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Pictures are not always the best representation.
I would first see if you could get an inspector in the area to check it out fully ,then procede from there. He might even broker the deal for you for a small fee even.Find someone on the forums people are familiar with,or know someone reliable to be your agent in Fla.
It would almost be worth it to fly down personally to finish the deal and be prepared to transport then,or store till you do .Once the deal is made, it is your responsibility,so I probably wouldn't buy it till I figured out a quick way to take possession .Good Luck.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up A Forum inspector would be my first step...

Has anyone here on the Forum set eyes on it for you?, there are probably more inspectors in Fla than anywhere else....
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Arrow

We just went through this process in August, buying a trailer in Buffalo, NY. My wife did not want to commit such a large sum until we personally inspected the unit. I wanted to take cash, but my wife didn't feel good about the risk.

We ended up going to Buffalo, inspecting the unit, then having our bank transfer the money to the owners bank account. We instructed our bank to transfer the money, and the money showed up in his account, late the next morning.

You have the pleasure of conversion to USD.

I'd recommend picking up the unit yourself and get out of winter hell. It's a beautiful drive. one not to miss.

We love our AS,

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Thank you all. No, nobody has seen in on my behalf. I saw the "Airstream Inspectors" on the main Portal page and it looks like it's simply a listing of the site members by location... Using that list, do I simply contact a forum member who lives near the seller and ask the member if they would like to inspect an Airstream for me?

How much does this service typically cost? Is this a reliable service or is there a chance that the Inspector will buy the AS from under me?

Agreed, the transport logistics need to worked out asap.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
Thank you all. No, nobody has seen in on my behalf. I saw the "Airstream Inspectors" on the main Portal page and it looks like it's simply a listing of the site members by location... Using that list, do I simply contact a forum member who lives near the seller and ask the member if they would like to inspect an Airstream for me?

How much does this service typically cost? Is this a reliable service or is there a chance that the Inspector will buy the AS from under me?

Agreed, the transport logistics need to worked out asap.
Pretty much, you start contacting people in the area. Most will look at the unit for you for free or expenses incurred (gas and so forth). Realize that you are not getting certification from the inspector, just a friendly set of eyes to look the rig over. I would be very surprised if someone bought one out from under you.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Thanks everyone. Off to the Main page I go...
Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
White Pigeon , Michigan
Inspection

Hi; My names Bud J { airhouse} and I'd be glad to inspect for you. Call if interested.269 483 6075. I'm in Flordia. Have mine with me. Ok.
Airhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Is the trailer located at "land Yacht Harbor" in Melbourne?
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote