Old 08-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Receiver hitch angle

I'm currently having an argument with my Ford dealership about my factory installed receiver hitch. When I insert my weight distribution hitch into the receiver, the 2" square shank of the hitch (NOT the ball assembly) slopes downward (front to back) at a disturbing angle. When I insert the same hitch in any of my other trucks, the shank is in line with the chassis of the vehicle. My dealer says this is normal but I strongly disagree. The hitch assembly appears to be securely bolted to the frame and there's no sign of any deformation. My tow vehicle is a 2017 F-150 with the factory tow package (10,700lbs). Any thoughts from fellow Airstreamers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170801_132153.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	291077  

Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Another view of the receiver, from underneath, might be helpful. From the side, the bumper is in the way of seeing whether there is anything wrong with the receiver.

Side note, a selfie stick, held so the phone is almost at ground level and angled upward, makes low-angle pictures a lot easier on old bones like mine that don't like kneeling on the ground.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I agree that the angle the shank protrudes from the receiver is sloping downward, please take another photo of the shank with slight upward pressure on it, I'm guessing that the shank will "move" up and down thus changing the angle we are looking at.
More at issue is your head angle welded "fixed". I use the Reese weight dist. system and when changing vehicles, you must reset this angle based on static TV height and TT height. Yours is not adjustable and may not work with your new TV. Follow all instructions from the manufacturer when making this adjustment, it is CRUCIAL you do this right or your TT will sway all over the place.
Good luck and Happy Airstreaming!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Most shanks fit loosely as has been stated. If you get an anti rattle device you can raise the shank to verticle.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sure looks like the receiver is sloping down to me. I would not accept the dealer's answer.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
A slope down is not necessarily a problem. A slope up would not be either. However, both would be odd as most folks expect the receiver to be level as you do.

The issue to be concerned about is the receiver flexing. That keeps the weight distribution from functioning correctly and will ultimately lead to receiver failure. So as a starting point verify the receiver is rigid? Establish the amount of movement that occurs when you apply weight distribution?

Look under the truck as Pro suggests and take pictures from the side, bottom, front and back. That will give you a base line for analysis.

Seems logical to ask the factory rep what the receiver orientation should be. A quick check of the dealers lot would give you a general idea of what to expect.

Good luck with the investigation. Pat
Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Brian, I'm with you; I think the receiver slopes downward. Just my observation.
mike
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Fenton , Michigan
Looks like a down angle to me too.

As PKI said, I would suggest finding another 2017 Ford with the same tow package on the dealer's lot and try your hitch in the receiver of that truck to see if it has the same down angle.

Then I guess the factory rep.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Here's a couple shots from underneath... I think the tube was just welded sloping downward. There is a tiny bit of "slop" (rattle), but not near enough to allow it to ride level. I inserted a long piece of 2x2 steel and could lift the back of the truck off the suspension with no noticeable "flex". Not set up to measure the details.

I understand the issues with the ball angle on the welded Reese setup. My other TV (F-250) is essentially the same height, etc. as new F-150; difference is the slope of the "horizontal" shank. I only use this hitch with the antique Avion and it is set up with the anti-sway yokes. Tows great with the F-250.

All that aside, I will be visiting with my dealer on this and other issues (driveline "clunk") later this week and will try the hitch on other F-150s on the lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170802_063630.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	291126   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_063646.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	291127  

Name:	20170801_171510.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	291128  
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Santa Ynez , California
What if you wanted to use a extended load basket or a bicycle rack or a ? Should those be out of level? I think not.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
It def. slopes down, IMO either hitch is defective or not installed properly as receiver should be level never with down slope, even if no flex as stated. I would not accept Ford dealers answer why slopes down. Drive line clunk also a reason to worry as not normal even if dealer says it is. I would take to shop that specs. in trans and rear end work and have them check out clunk, if defect and dealer doesn't want to fix ph. NHTSA advise, they will send form to describe prob. Ford IMO is doing a lot of lip serv. to NHTSA about safety recalls etc. and not fixing as my safety recall is 9 mos. old with no parts or time line and NHTSA has been informed and emailed me form about this prob. so they are listening. Lip serv. saying Ford working on prob. [now 6 yrs. old no fix] to me about mileage nowhere near what adv. and trans. prob. and severe hesitation when stepping on gas, they will not fix even tho 2012 Escape has these prob. Bottom line sqeaky wheel gets grease.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Best of luck with the dealership! This doesn't look right to me either but I am no expert. I wonder if that angle doesn't present additional and unexpected loads on the receiver. Fairly sure that the receiver is made for Ford by another source so maybe get ahold of them?
At any rate request a written response to this issue and maybe they will take you serious!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
On my former f-150 the shank mounted straight out. Sounds like you talked to the wrong person at that dealership. You can call Ford Tech CS direct for further and hopefully correct information. Google is your friend looking up their number.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Brian, since this would be warranty work, try a different FORD dealer. Sounds as though your dealer doesn't know .......... about towing or is lazy.Check that he isn't charging Ford and NOT doing work.
mike