Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Colo.Dave

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2003 25' Safari
Parker , Colorado
Raising trailer on jack stands

It seems like a good idea to store a trailer (25' Safari) for the winter raised on jack stands or scissor jacks to keep the tires from getting flat spots. The manual describes the two jack lift spots behind the rear axle, but no other info. Since the two rear jack locations are the only ones, I would assume I could raise the rear carefully, one side at a time, and in addition, use the tongue leveling jack to lift and level the frame. Then drop the stabilizing jacks to firm it up. Any advice from the factory or experienced advice?
Thanks Dave Ingram/Colo
Dingram/Colo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dave Stabilizer jacks are just that. They are used to stabilize the trailer and are not designed or intended to support the weight of the trailer. I have seen people here who have raised their trailers up off the wheels and they ended up bending the frame by hanging the axles in the air. The weight of the axles and wheels caused the frame to sag. They also had problems getting the entry door to close and the slide out rooms to move. I would leave the tires on the ground and only put the jacks down to support the trailer. What`s cheaper new tires or extensive frame and shell repairs.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. You will no doubt get a lot of opinions on your questions, some will be pretty good. I'll throw in mine. Lot of bad things can happen to an Airstream jacked up with the leveling jacks down. Tires are cheep when put in perspective. I leave my tires on all the time. May take one off at the time, but at least one is on to catch a fall.
Good to have you aboard. I'm no expert nor have any factory sense.
Warm regards,

Joe
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
To support wasagachris, supporting the frame is okay, lifting the frame at those support points is not okay for storage.

It seems more viable that you take the trailer out for a spin every couple of months off season, to move the tires and exercise the torsion axles, than that you jack it up and artificially load up your frame.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If you want to unload your axles and tires why not jack up the trailer at the two jack points and place blocks to jack stands under the frame between the axles and then lower the trailer onto those. Leave the tires in contact with the ground and it makes it more difficult for someone to steal your wheels.
I would not put the levelling jacks down to prevent the possiblity that the blocks sink into the ground and leave the trailer supported by the jacks.
Mine always sits on the tires ready to go, even though I don't use it for about five months through the winter.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I assume, by your post, that you are talking about the jack stands manufactured for that purpose and properly rated for the trailer weight, placed under the axle plate which the axles are bolted to. These would bear the lion's share of the weight and the stabilizer jacks lowered to offer stability only just like when you're camping.

I think this is fine and is best for the tires as well as the axles.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
If you want to unload your axles and tires why not jack up the trailer at the two jack points and place blocks to jack stands under the frame between the axles and then lower the trailer onto those. Leave the tires in contact with the ground and it makes it more difficult for someone to steal your wheels.
I would not put the levelling jacks down to prevent the possiblity that the blocks sink into the ground and leave the trailer supported by the jacks.
Mine always sits on the tires ready to go, even though I don't use it for about five months through the winter.
Al
I am on concrete so I do put down the stabilizers for the possibility of instability in gusting winds. I also leave the tires on, barely contacting the ground with covers on them.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I think you have described a very good thing for your tires and axles. Since you indicated that the weight of the trailer would be on jack stands and the stabilizing jacks would be only for stabilizing and not weight supporting I do not see where any damage would occur. (As long as the trailer does not fall off of the jack stands or the jack stands do not sink into the ground) The method you described is exactly what I do except I do not have any stabilizer jacks. I place my jack stands under the axle mounting plates, leave the tires in light contact with the ground, and cover the tires for UV protection. You are located in Colorado, so taking the trailer out for a ride every so often might be thwarted by deep snow and drifts like I have at times in the winter.
I think you have it figured out well.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingram/Colo
It seems like a good idea to store a trailer (25' Safari) for the winter raised on jack stands or scissor jacks to keep the tires from getting flat spots. The manual describes the two jack lift spots behind the rear axle, but no other info. Since the two rear jack locations are the only ones, I would assume I could raise the rear carefully, one side at a time, and in addition, use the tongue leveling jack to lift and level the frame. Then drop the stabilizing jacks to firm it up. Any advice from the factory or experienced advice?
Thanks Dave Ingram/Colo
Test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3750958280.png
Views:	271
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	116959   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2920123396.png
Views:	198
ID:	116960  

apple123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingram/Colo
Thanks Dave Ingram/Colo
Ttttt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-868570838.png
Views:	241
ID:	116961  
apple123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Is it a bug? Is it a plane? No, it's... oh, wait... It's a bug!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave,

All you have to do is move the trailer forward or back every couple of months. I put old plywood pieces under the tires to keep them off the ground—it's supposed to be better for them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do it mostly for the axles. This stint of downtime is 5 months. It sucks but that's the way it is for us at this stage of life. Wife is a school teacher....no vacations per se for 9 months a year. I kept my old SOB on the tires always. Never had a tire issue with it with respect to flat spotting.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Gene, yes, that is all the tires need, but it must surely be good for the axles to take them out for a little exercise now and then?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingram/Colo View Post
It seems like a good idea to store a trailer (25' Safari) for the winter raised on jack stands or scissor jacks to keep the tires from getting flat spots...
hi dave, welcome.

IF the issue is simply trying to avoid flat spotting,

-INFLATE the tires to 10 psi over the sidewall max (60 for Cs and 75 for Ds) while the trailer is dormant.

-high profile tires like these 75 series are much LESS prone to flat spotting, especially if inflated.

as others have mentioned the scissor jacks are STAB jacks, used only to reducing rock/roll while walking around inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingram/Colo View Post
...The manual describes the two jack lift spots behind the rear axle, but no other info. Since the two rear jack locations are the only ones, I would assume I could raise the rear carefully, one side at a time, and in addition, use the tongue leveling jack to lift and level the frame...
YES one can use the factory designated jack points and the tongue jack to get air born...

this is exactly what the factory does.

but once it's UP there, placing reliable jack stands under the axle mounting plates and A frame would be useful.

screw/bottle jack stands offer the most adjustably but ratchet stands work too.

some folks use timber or blocks, but what ever is used make sure the BASE is solid and stable...

5 point support would be nicer than 3 point.

and IF u plan to do this, consider covering or removing the wheels while its UP there.

many many threads on this stuff, here is a good one,

with LOTS of pics n examples of steam'levitations...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...eam-18435.html

whizzo had to leave his unit in storage for ~2 years and used the UP approach...

and bob cross regularly raises his unit and covers the hubs...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...age-45963.html

considering that many new streams sit on dealer lots for months,

lifting probably doesn't do much over one season.

these axles probably take a 'set' very early in life and elevating them doesn't UNdo this...

while exercising is great for most living things and some mechanical bits,

the testimonials and recommendations to "exercise rubber torsion axles" are without objective basis.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...-ok-54812.html

airing UP the tires is quick/simple and helpful for the rollin' rubber.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Dave,

As dzn says, put rated jackstands under the rear axle's mounting plate. That will relieve weight off the tires and not stress the frame. Trick that I use is to lower the tongue to the ground/as far as it will retract then place jackstands under the rear axle mounting plates then raise the tongue jack until about level. This puts the majority of the trailers weight on the stands and still allows the tires to be in contact for added stability. Now with all the thefts here in TX, I also lower the stabilizers (I'm on concrete), partially to keep it rock-steady when used as overflow housing and partially to slow down a would-be thief. I've also locked the tongue jack handle so that from start to end, it now takes about 25 minutes to get it ready to move...kind of a pain but worth the piece of mind.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote