Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm with Bold Adventure. Unless you're working on someone else's without their consent, then it's your property to do whatever.
It was a great learning experience. If you quit halfway through it just becomes a discount project for the next guy or gal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Now, we have big dreamers that watch a 1/2 hour TV show, and think: "I can do that!"

Hey! we resemble that remark!

And our favorite RV restoration show is an hour long...
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I love seeing old trailers no matter what the brand being brought back to life. Repurpose and reuse.
Personal note, it is your property to do with as you please and no body else's business what you do. When somebody starts paying the bills then they can have some say so.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It's not asinine when you see how many trailers are for sale, because "I don't have the time of finish it".
Meanwhile the seller has gotten rid of everything that was inside it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I've spent over half a year in almost daily e-mail correspondence with a couple who bought a gutted Airstream that came with a pile of junk that used to be the interior. Mine is nearly original and only two serial numbers later than theirs. They are making amazing progress, and should be ready to camp in a beautiful Airstream in a month or so.

My job was to provide photos and measurements of my trailer's furnishings so that they could rebuild theirs almost from scratch. We've even had fun identifying the mystery parts they found in the junk pile.

The smart thing they did was to copy most of Airstream's design, modifying only where needed.

Bottom line, it's been fun, and I've made two new friends.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Dan I remember you doing the same thing you speak against? Why the change of heart? My 81 is still 90 stock with a few improvements.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
When did it become okay to start dictating what people do with their private property? Are we going to start assigning heritage status to these trailers and mandate their owner submit themselves to public hearings before they make changes?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
It's not asinine when you see how many trailers are for sale, because "I don't have the time of finish it".
Meanwhile the seller has gotten rid of everything that was inside it.
"I don't have the time" really means "I finally came to realize how far I am in over my head and I would like to bail out". Then they try to put a positive spin on it by saying they have done the preliminary work when in truth they have damaged the situation beyond recovery.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
When did it become okay to start dictating what people do with their private property? Are we going to start assigning heritage status to these trailers and mandate their owner submit themselves to public hearings before they make changes?
I don't think anyone meant to dictate, just meant to voice our opinions. Do what you please, I don't have to agree, and it shouldn't matter to you if I don't. Good camping or restoring.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
And they want top dollar for them gutted, still have frame a floor issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
And they want top dollar for them gutted, still have frame a floor issues
Look at it this way… If they get in over their heads and try to sell it gutted, it's worth more than if they try to sell it half-complete and you have to rip out all of the mistakes they've made before you can fix it right! You save in the long run.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm not going to fault the folks who 'think they can' only to realize it's beyond their capabilities, energy or otherwise. It's the folks who buy, gut and try to flip at a huge price because it's "ready for restoration" that drive me crazy.

There are too many 5 figure ads for this type of trailer. I've had a ball gutting and rebuilding but have no desire to start with a gutted shell as a "blank canvas"
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It's the folks who buy, gut and try to flip at a huge price because it's "ready for restoration" that drive me crazy.
True, that. Ripping out a serviceable interior is not exactly "value added."
Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Me thinks that too many people are too sentimental about the preservation of mass produced interiors...

If folks like these their trailer as designed for the masses that is more than cool, if they don't that is cool too!

I straddle the fence here. I did one rock stock, and another totally changed. But if my brother in law ever moves out of the stock trailer, I will gut it too. And too boot, i am going to paint the exterior, and it wont be silver... (i.e. Fake aluminum)

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
"I don't have the time" really means "I finally came to realize how far I am in over my head and I would like to bail out". Then they try to put a positive spin on it by saying they have done the preliminary work when in truth they have damaged the situation beyond recovery.
You said it.
I'd like to customize mine but it is very original and I feel like it needs to be preserved ..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #36
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As a cabinetmaker that has "remodelled" his 310 turbo diesel, I can say with all honesty that the winning approach for me was this......

I didn't bite off more than I could chew. I was very concerned that the job would get so large in a hurry, that I would forget how things went back together. My first remodelling was only the rear lounge; once I had put it all back together I felt better about tackling the rest.

I was also very cognizant of the fact that Airstream designed and built things a certain way for a reason. If I couldn't replace a part with a better, lighter or more efficient product, then the Airstream part stayed. All of my interior gables are Airstream stock as they are aluminum clad honeycomb paper board. I couldn't replace them with anything lighter, so I revinyled them with a 3M Di-noc Weave.

The big difference for me was not having to worry so much about weight distribution. I was anal about weight with how I built everything, but I didn't have to worry about WHERE the weight went. There is a lot more weight science to trailers.

I am a highly skilled tradesman, and even I would think twice about remodelling a trailer as there's a lot more to it than one thinks.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quit gutting AIRSTREAMS!

It isn't so much about skill as it is about the incentive to get the job done.

What gets done wrong, can be redone.

Procedure is not superior to the result. Do it, if it sucks, redo it....

In addition to this, a lot of people want to fix a bunch of stuff that does not need fixing, and they become overwhelmed.

An example would be doing a shell off when it is not needed, this would have added about two weeks to my 72 build. I was in a hurry facing a deadline to travel.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Dan I remember you doing the same thing you speak against? Why the change of heart? My 81 is still 90 stock with a few improvements.

Perry
OK, you want to tell me exactly what trailer I gutted to remodel to make my own? My safari I removed items as needed to fix dents and floor rot. The layout has not changed. On my Classic, I've done nothing past new towels and a backsplash and fix stuff. My Sov was half gutted already. My ambassador is being returned to strictly original layout.

FINALLY: I never said "keep everything original" or "preserve the past". I really couldn't give two shits if you have a campfire inside your trailer.

WHAT I SAID is basically consider your skill set before you elect to go the route of complete demolition.

Guess what? forget it. Have at it. Can somebody sell me a gaucho?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lol, people worry way too much about what other folks say and think.

Just do your thing, be opinionated, but back your opinions while ENJOYING the banter.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I think it's good this subject was brought up! I get the feeling that a lot of people could benefit from reading the OP. I would think very carefully before I gutted my '73 because it would be impossible to re-do most of it without adding a lot of weight to the trailer. The fake wood walls are about the strongest material for the weight that I've ever seen! It looks like a balsa wood core with Formica bonded to both sides and when I cut a hole into a wall the first time I was really impressed with how strong and light this stuff is. I just don't think I could improve the trailer much without adding weight even though I admit the material doesn't look as good as real wood. I guess the factory thought that they had to go to real wood to get the prices of the newer trailers? Or maybe the balsa/Formica stuff cost more? Anyway, I will leave mine alone as much as I can, it's working good so far though I made a few improvements since I got it in '84.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote