Old 07-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #1

Questions

For two days I've been reading (as a guest) the many intelligent comments posted on the Airstream site. Finally got up the nerve to join. Don't own an A/S RV or TT--but hope to. But first I must decide if I can handle the challenges. Have a couple question that you all may be able to answer. Here goes:

1) I'm a single female (widow-55). I've about decided that the Bambi 16-foot would best serve my needs. BUT--what vehicle would best serve my towing needs?? I currently own a Honda CRV (2001).

2) Would I be able to single-handedly handle the hitch/set-up needs and the black-water hook-up?? Or would more brawn than I'm capable of be necessary?

Have been really impressed with the helpful folks on this forum. Thanking you in advance. :-)

Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Welcome Ramona!

I'm glad you've found lots of helpful information here...hopefully, you will continue to find the answers you need to make this decision!

With regards to hitching, unhitching and set-up of your future trailer by yourself, I don't think it's too much to handle. As long as you are willing to get a little dirty once in a while while learning, of course, it can be a bit overhelming at first, just so much to remember...and all new at first. Just realize, it gets easier and more routine the more times you do it. But, brawn is not a requirement...

As far as a tow vehicle, you have more options with a Bambi than with a larger trailer, however, I don't think your Honda would be suitable. I'll let someone else address this issue in more detail. In the meantime, you may want to read through the "Towing Forum" while waiting for others to respond.

Good luck...you go girl!

Shari

Old 07-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Welcome!

Uhhhh the CRV will not be up to the task. Your owners manual should have some max tow ratings. You would need something in the 4k range to be safe and about 500lb of tounge wieght.

As far as hookinh up... Should not be a problem. Electric tounge jacks are available. The worst part would be the leveling bars and a longer pipe is extra leverage so again not a big problem.

The wrst part about hooking up is getting the hitch lined up. That's a practice thing.

As far a tow vehicle, on the smaller size a Blazer S series or the new Trailblazer would be a good choice. Honda doesn't really sell a vehicle that makes a good tow rig. Ideal a rear wheel drive vehicle would be better.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Welcome Ramona!

I will say that as long as you can learn how to do something new, you can do it. You just need to find a willing individual to teach you. There are many "free wheelers" out there just like you. BTW free wheeler means you are single for some reason.

The Bambi is a good trailer, but you will want to be sure to get some of the upgrades. New Bambi owners correct me if I am wrong, but the power tongue jack is optional I belive.

As to the CRV, it will not be up to the task. But since you are already comfortable with a small SUV moving to a bigger one should not be hard. A Honda Pilot with added trans and power steering cooler is rated at 4500 LBS and is a nice upgrade.

The 16 foot CCD or 16?19 foot bambi would be OK, but the Big Bambi is on the edge of the tow rating.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Definitely get a power jack, takes alot of the work out of hitching. As for the weight distributing bars, with the power jack, once the tongue is attached to the ball, you can lift the rear of the vehicle back up about 5-6 inches, and the bars then are very easy to hook up, no brawn needed. Alignment of the ball to the tongue is toughest part, and that just takes practice. Only brawn needed may be if you opt to carry a generator along for times where there is no electrical hookup.

As for the black water hookup, again no brawn needed. Just practice and taking your time, don't let others waiting hurry you.

I pull my 19' Bambi with a Land Rover rated at 5500 lbs (Bambi is 4500 lbs full) and I wouldn't want to pull with anything less.

Anyway, I say go for it. No reason why a young, 55 yo woman can't go it solo. Have fun!
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #6

Thank each and every one of you. Your imput is so valuable. Just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. But then, feel I'm already in over my head before I've even begun! Hate to have to invest in a new towing vehicle. In fact, love my CRV. But I suspected as much. Again, thank you. The Airstream crowd appears to be a very intelligent group (again, as I suspected)!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Hate to have to invest in a new towing vehicle. In fact, love my CRV.
You could always get a M/H and tow your CRV

I know, I know, it's not the same...

Shari
Old 07-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
[i]
Anyway, I say go for it. No reason why a young, 55 yo woman can't go it solo.[/B]
You would be valuable on the diplomatic front...lol
Old 07-23-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Why, thank you Ramona. But seriously, I come from that place that says you are only as old as you feel, and as a member of the greatest generation ever (baby boomers!) and approaching my 56th this weekend, I say you are young, lady. Again, have fun!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:29 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ramona,

I am unsure your CRV can deal with towing an Airstream. I lie, I am sure.... it isn't.

I am also unsure they have started to build the 16' Bambi. I think all that is being built as a 16' is the International CCD.

If going 16' is your thought, I'd trade the CRV for a Blazer with the V6 and tow package or something else with a bit more juice. I am unsure any Honda has a tow rating up to the task of the gross weight of even the 16' CCD. Perhaps maybe the Acura MDX, but also I am unsure even that can.

55 is only a speed limit. Not a limiting factor for going camping!

Eric

PS- Glad you joined and stopped being a guest!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Go Ramona Go!!

Having an AS is such a great way to enter conversations with people and, as a single woman, know how people respond to me when I whip the Safari into place, unhitch, hook-up and settle in. Pulling and backing a trailer will become more comfortable as you do it. Learning new things will make you feel younger.

Rick...you married?

Niki
Old 07-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Ramona,
We have a friend in our local WBCCI unit that is a widow and is 78 years old. She just bought a new 27 foot Airstream motorhome and has driven it everywhere. She's alone up in Canada now after going to the International rally in Vermont by herself.
You are never too young (or too old) to go on the road.
Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Quote:
Rick...you married?
Yes, to a beautiful, young 50something lady.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Questions

Greetings Ramona!

Welcome to the Forums!

Don't let being single deter you from enjoying an Airstream travel trailer. There is no reason that a single person can't handle anything regarding towing a trailer - - there are MANY who tow solo all of the time. In fact, there is an Intra-Club within the Wally Byam Caravan Club International that focuses on the unique needs of singles - - The Free Wheelers. The Free Wheelers conduct seminars every year at the International Rally to help acquaint singles with the techniques that can make trailer towing and RVing easier for the solo trailerist.

For instance, hitching will be much simpler if you have your coach equipped with an electric hitch jack. A trailer hook-up mirror is indispensible for aligning the ball and coupler - - utilizing this device, many Free Wheelers can get aligned as quickly as a couple using hand signals.

I agree with the others who have posted regarding towing an Airstream with your CRV. I suspect that its trailer tow rating is below 2,000 pounds which would rule out even the Vintage Airstreams.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin

P.S.: I am a Free Wheeler and have towed solo for more than 20 years. One hint that I might pass along is that it is beneficial to have a good relationship with the technician who services both your tow vehicle and trailer - - keeping both well-maintained and charting their service history will help to insure more relaxing, trouble-free towing. My current tow vehicles bot have in excess of 110,000 miles and are still going strong.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote