Old 07-24-2003, 06:16 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona
Thank each and every one of you. Your imput is so valuable. Just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. But then, feel I'm already in over my head before I've even begun! Hate to have to invest in a new towing vehicle. In fact, love my CRV. But I suspected as much. Again, thank you. The Airstream crowd appears to be a very intelligent group (again, as I suspected)!
Hi, Ramona! Welcome to the world of Airstreams! I concur with the advice given you in this thread... You'll be surprised how easy it is to hitch, tow, and travel in an Airstream. I agree that your CRV isn't up to the task though.

One thing I'd suggest before getting into a rush to go trading it off for something else... find your Airstream first. Although you currently are interested in the Bambi (or 16' CCD), you might find as you research things that the 19' Bambi or even a 22' Int'l or CCD, or even the 25' Safari strikes your fancy. We have a single woman in her late 60s in our WBCCI unit who travels solo with her "Camper Kitty" in a 25' and does it with panache!

Since you're considering trading your CRV off anyway, don't let an initial choice of tow car limit your choice of trailers. There are lots and lots of options available to you. Take your time, shop around, and get what will suit you best. And, of course, ask lots and lots of questions!

Good luck in your pursuit of Airstream Nirvana!

Roger

Old 07-24-2003, 06:44 AM   #16

Well, classy begets classy. With A/S being the classiest brand name, it's apparent that it has attracted the classiest enthusiasts! And I mean that. I go on different forums (pets, news, politics, etc.) and never visited a site where participants are evidently so well educated and articulate. You guys can even spell...lol !!

Your advice really inspires me. Loved the example of the lady in her 70s who is doing so well. Unfortunately, I'm limited by my wallet as to how fancy or large an A/S I can get--particularly if I must swap out my Honda for a heftier towing vehicle. (Did play Florida's Lotto, yesterday; even with crossed fingers and toes, didn't win. [Of course odds were greater that I'd be attacked by an alligator than winning Lotto!] But I keep daydreaming of what an A/S package I could put together with a million or two bucks...)

Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona
Well, classy begets classy. With A/S being the classiest brand name, it's apparent that it has attracted the classiest enthusiasts! And I mean that. I go on different forums (pets, news, politics, etc.) and never visited a site where participants are evidently so well educated and articulate. You guys can even spell...lol !!

Your advice really inspires me. Loved the example of the lady in her 70s who is doing so well. Unfortunately, I'm limited by my wallet as to how fancy or large an A/S I can get--particularly if I must swap out my Honda for a heftier towing vehicle. (Did play Florida's Lotto, yesterday; even with crossed fingers and toes, didn't win. [Of course odds were greater that I'd be attacked by an alligator than winning Lotto!] But I keep daydreaming of what an A/S package I could put together with a million or two bucks...)
RV's can be finaced as a second home. Your can take out LONG payment plans.

As for the Motor homes....I suspect there will be one up for sale very soon not far from you. It's a older Argosy but the owner has been doing quite a lot of work on it and just purchesed a second Argosy solely becuase they wanted a different floor plan. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum.

In the long run it might be cheaper then buying a new Bambi. THe CRV would happily follow it any where.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
More options

Ramona, don't limit your search to only new Airstreams!

If you are a Honda lover and want to stay in the "family", get a Pilot (yes, admittedly much more expensive than the CRV but less than most big SUVs) and look for a vintage Airstream. The Pilot can easily tow any pre-1970 Airstream shorter than 21 feet.

Even fully restored and with gleaming polish, those models will cost a lot less than a 16-foot International CCD, I can assure you!

And of course, there's the undeniable class of being a Vintage Owner!

-- RL
Old 07-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I was looking at Honda CRV's 4 years ago. I stopped looking at them when I saw that the towing capacity was only 1,000 pounds. It wouldn't even pull the tent trailer I had at the time.

They really are a nice vehicle, but not for towing. Check out this site. The reviews are subjective, but the specs are a handy way to compare check out wheelbase, towing capacity, weight of the vehicle, engine size, ect.

http://www.nctd.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Hi Ramona,
I am a single woman that usually travels with a
friend. I am pretty new to this but so far so good.
I do all of the trailer stuff by myself-hitching etc.
The first time I towed the trailer was the first time
I had towed anything. Thanks to all of the info and
support from forum members I ventured out of the
driveway!
I did lots of research on tow vehicles and hitches.
I got rid of my beloved 4Runner and got a Tahoe.
I didn't want to but I think it's a very good idea
to have a really good tow vehicle. I know I am
as safe as I can be and to me thats the most
Important thing. It was an extra expenditure that
I didn't plan on. I'm sure you can find something
not too expensive especially if you look at used SUVs.
I hope you also consider a vintage Airstream. I have
a beautiful Caravel that I can manage very easily and
I love it. (Airstreamcaravel has one for sale right now.)

Heidi
Old 07-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
I would also get a set of wheel chocks to put behind and infront of each tire. You don't want your Bambi rolling away when you unhitch it.