Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
In my Bambi II I replaced the non functioning LP fridge with an electric dorm style fridge for the reasons mentioned above. We do not really boondock and in my experience, even in the Texas heat the fridge would stay quite cold while driving as long as it was kept closed. We never opened it until it had been plugged in and running for an hour - just in time for happy hour :-)
In the FC, I opted for a new ($$) LP fridge which has the benefit of being able to boondock and/or run on LP while traveling.

BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Mandolinedave answered your question a few posts back. Once you go 120V only, you have given up the ability to camp without hookups. The suggestion about going solar is a good one but one that will probably cost more in the end than installing a new Dometic.

Resale value is also a consideration. I would never buy a trailer with a fridge that required me to always be plugged in.

So, as in all things of this nature, your best decision will be the one that best fits your camping style. Going electric is a good choice for some folks, not such a good choice for others.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I have always been impressed by the propane fridges. I am only guessing, but I think that they might cost less to run than an electric fridge. ( even though most times you pay a set amount for electric). I kinda wish I had a gas fridge for my home. They make industrial gas fridges.

Anyway, under the category of reinventing the wheel…Why did they put gas fridges in RVs in the first place?
To answer your question about home use, between 1933 and 1957 there was a company named Servel that produced gas home refrigerators. There are also gas air conditioners. The gas central air units were popular in the 60's although price forced them out of the market. Hard to believe but with better equipment gas air conditioners are back into the market.

Interestingly enough in both cases the refrigerators and air conditioners are based on the same technology as the RV fridge. The Servel refrigerators were popular for cabins or homes with unreliable or no electricity. All of the Servels have been recalled due to the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning due to dirty burner situations which affect the burner combustion quality in an enclosed space.

Obviously with RV's being used in boondock locations and the high power needs to operate the heater source, gas is a very attractive alternative. I travel with the gas on in my refrigerator. For those who feel that your refrigerator can hold proper temperatures during 8 or 9 hours on the road, get a low cost outdoor thermometer to place in the fridge that you can monitor with a base unit. That's the only way you will know if you are keeping the temperatures in a safe range if you don't use gas or don't have a 12 volt option.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote