Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Federal Way , Washington
Quartzsite boondocking

My wife and I are seriously thinking about boondocking on BLM land in Quartzsite this winter and would like to hear from anyone who has recently experienced that hippy happy life.
talltales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltales
My wife and I are seriously thinking about boondocking on BLM land in Quartzsite this winter and would like to hear from anyone who has recently experienced that hippy happy life.
Driving by there occasionally, it looks like a low standard sort of place. I can only imagine boondocking near there, maybe 10-20 miles north or northeast, and then drive to "town" to take advantage of the many RV focused businesses.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
boondocking Quartsite

Hello we boondocked for a while a few miles north of Quartsite near a place called stone cabin friendly people nice place to park when we were there,there was 4/5rigs plenty of flat places to pull onto we were there in March we were in a 1982 airstream motorhome very peaceful never saw no hippies ride easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltales
Normin storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey TallTales...

I did a quick Google search of "Quartzsite, AZ, Boondock" and got a bunch of hits, some of which are below for you check out...there are tons more to look through...

We have gone through Quartzite at the peak season (late Dec/Jan) when the big gem and mineral show/swap meet/gathering happens. It was pretty wild...we have never seen so many RVs in one place at one time and lots of traffic congestion. I's a strange little place and somewhat of a phenomenon that happens. There are some RV parks with hookups, and a LOT of boondocking. It's not our cup of tea, but if that's what you're into, then this could be quite an experience. Lots of RVers seem to enjoy it a lot. I'm with Uwe...I'd rather be off a little ways from there and drive in to take it all in...

We went thru when were headed up to Buckskin Mountain State Park (AZ) north of Quartzite near Parker, AZ...and Cattail Cove State Park just a bit further north of Buckskin Mt. They are both right on the lower Colorado River on the AZ side. Lake Havasu is up the road a spell as well. We usually spend a week from Christmas thru New Year's split between those two parks...plan to be up there again this year... We'll keep a look out for other 'Streamers!

TB

The Desert Phenomenon of Quartzsite, arizona

Quartzsite, Arizona

Quartzsite

QUARTZSITE THE DRY CAMPING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD Photo Gallery by ravenoaks at pbase.com

RV Campgrounds in and near Quartzsite, AZ.

Quartzsite Arizona AZ Campgrounds RV Parks - AllStays Guide
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quartzsite is nice but it can get old. If you get the urge to try another location check out the BLM in Yuma. With Yuma, you get a variety of venues and the advantage the city shopping without the traffic and other issues of QZ. In Yuma, RV's tend to cluster in groups in one of the many available areas. At QZ it can become a mass of RV's stretching for a mile or more. Where we camped in Yuma our spot sat up a little and we had a good view of the valley below. The other advantage of Yuma is decent TV reception although Qz had improved the last time we were there.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Done Quartzite at the peak time - sort of like Burning Man in terms of being a large, sudden gathering of the clans, but totally unorganized and very, very commerical. Still, we now know first hand about Quartzite, but saw no particular bargains. Not just RV vendors - a lot like going to the slice-and-dice area of a county fair. Almost all of them disappear at end of the short season.

Doubt that it would be particularly interesting or unique off-season.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote