Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quality of new... sigh...

First let me say I have never owned an airstream, but I have always wanted too (big time), and have reached a place in my life when I can afford one. I am only interested in buying new and am in the Bay Area CA.

My daughter is eight, my wife is on board, and so I was off to the races.

This site is by far the best community I have ever seen, and when I first started my AR research this site amplified my desire, I felt like I was about to be part of a new family. It really is incredible I must say.

I am in my 40's and still have to work full time, so time is very valuable, and I can not afford to waste it.

After pouring over this site and reading countless issues with new AS, I have decided I just can not waste my time. I was hoping that the extra AS $$$ was going to buy me a (for the most part) hassle free experience, but there are big indications that is not the case.

My closest AS dealer is a five hour drive, so fine for yearly work, but not if I have too many issues. I have read that warranty work is best done by the mothership, which for me is a 5,000 mile road trip so not an option at all.

The stories of people buying and having issues to resolve, which for some reason seems an excepted normal, is just not what my hard earned $$$ is for IMHO.

I know the internet is a *bad news* filter meaning people will tend to post more when they have issues then when they do not. So this might be in play here?

Sigh... I want to be an AS owner, but I just can not get past some of the quality problems I have read. Am I missing something? Am I crazy to think that a ~$75k purchase should come with piece of mind?

As you can see, this is my first post, not the one I was hoping to make, but I am sure you can understand why I am making it. I am hoping I am wrong here, maybe this community can adjust my thinking, or better yet AS themselves can comment, but right now I am not buying. So let this be my first post, I am hoping AS reads this forum and sees the effect bad QA has on bottom lines.
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF.

I suggest you copy and paste this on the contact email @ airstream.com.
Airstream, Inc :: Contact Us

Include your contact information so that a company Representative can get back to you.

You may be surprised either way, and that might help you make a decision for your RV purchase.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Good idea, done, and if/when I hear back I will update this thread, thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dave, nothing hostile, just curious, what's the point of your post?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
Hi, I have had several rv's and there is no such thing as a hassle free rv. they go down the road, and bump around, things happen, I have been very happy with my airstream .
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Welcome!
In all probability if you picked any other brand of rv the issues you raised would likely be the same. We looked for months and what we found is that these same issues were magnified exponentially since there are more white boxes than AS.
We purchased an AS. Quality, durability and "looks" were the deciding factors. It's not very often you can purchase anything made in 1975, hookup and bring it home, do some cleaning, replace bedding and curtains, then take it camping a week later.
We found some issues, but nothing major. We have a dealer 3 hrs away that has worked on ours before. All their work has been outstanding.
We could have bought newer or new, but we have no debt and wanted to keep it that way. We will be over the next several months or more continue, little by little, to make it ours.
Chris
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Welcome to the Forums

We have a 2006 that we are the third owner of: first owners used it 6 times and decided they didn't like camping. Second owner bought it for summer living space while he flew contract assignments in Alaska but found other lodging, so we were the beneficiaries of 7 total trips on a then 5 year old AS

I would encourage you to go back and read the "problems with new AS" threads and I think it becomes apparent which ones are on here because they want help with something and which ones are on here because they want to complain.

Should one have certain expectations for the price of a brand new AS... most certainly. But arguments of quality components aside (I happen to concur that Thor/AS should be putting top of the line components in at the price), this is a handmade RV, with interior and exterior design that you cannot find anywhere else and with a pretty incredible history of vintage AS still on the road.

Wouldn't even begin to presume to tell you how to spend your money, but I think you have to carefully weigh the posts on the issue of problems with new AS's.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Bycrom,
You have one option that may work for you. Find a good RV repair shop and use them for your AS inspections and repairs. Their experience and skills should be way higher compared to a dealer (regardless what the dealer tells you they are not in the repair business). They will explain what needs to be done and send you to the dealer if it is a warranty.
I have 2010 FC I bought new, 28 kMI. Never been at the dealer, fixed all things myself or with the RV repair guy. This way I was very happy with the results. I "wasted" maybe $500 this way but maybe I gained thousands, never a problem on the road.
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I think Dave's idea to contact Airstream with your concerns is an excellent one. Take some of the issues you have found here, and develop a list of questions. Ask if they have done anything to address those concerns. Considering the cost, I don't think this would be out of line in any way. Airstream does read the forums, and occasionally participate, but it's rare. As another poster mentioned, whatever the state of Airstream quality, it still beats most other RV's.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums, bycrom...You're correct that people with problems tend to post more about their problems than people without problems post about their joys. And of course, there are lemons out there. We bought our 06 new and have had very little trouble with it. Before that we owned a small motor home which was OK, but the quality was nothing like we found in our Airstream, and we have never regretted the decision to move to an AS. Its warranty issuers were minor. It's not true that good quality work can't be done anywhere but the Mother Ship. You just have to find an RV place that understands your needs and you can work with...if it's a warranty issue, Airstream will probably OK the work to be done locally since you are so far from a dealer. A wise RV tech once said to me, as I lamented problems we were having with the motor home: "People forget that we drive these things down bumpy roads at high speeds...things WILL shake loose for break and we will need to be repaired. It doesn't matter what model or brand it is. It's just the nature of the beast."

It's a big purchase, for sure. Will there be some things that need to be dealt with? Probably. Will they be insurmountable? Probably not. Will you enjoy your Airstream? Almost assuredly. There are far more folks here on the Airforums who love their Airstreams than those who wish they had not bought one.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
bycrom,

First of all it's not a five hour drive from El Cerrito to Los Banos. I did the drive from Fremont to Los Banos on Friday, about two hours. Add another 30-45 minutes from El Cerrito.

I bought my new 2012 A/S in October back East, brought it home to the Bay Area and have been using the heck out of it. The dealer in Los Banos, Toscano has one of the most impressive service departments I've ever dealt with, RV or otherwise. I've had two warranty issues, both resolved to my satisfaction and neither of which was serious enough to talk about.

Speaking only for myself I'm satisfied that I got my monies worth with my new Airstream. My first RV was more expensive, had a great reputation and I found it to have major QA issues, the Airstream has been much better, the service has been better and my contacts with Airstream have been great.

I can't imagine taking my trailer to Ohio for service, when the warranty expires I may or may not make the drive to Los Banos or I may find a quality RV shop closer to home.

You can spend over a million dollars on a gee-wiz 45' motorhome and hear the same negative whining that permeates this forum.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sorry you have been so soured on AS by some posters on here. I have never when camping been told by other AS owners they were sorry about there purchases. In fact I have never had another owner ever complain about anything except minor problems. Of course these people were all out camping and enjoying themselves, not sitting at a computer nitpicking. I ask you to go to a WBCCI rally and talk to people before making your decision. I think you would enjoy the conversation and comradery. Remember not everything on the web is as it seems, some have an agenda, either pro AS or not. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom
First let me say I have never owned an airstream, but I have always wanted too (big time), and have reached a place in my life when I can afford one. I am only interested in buying new and am in the Bay Area CA.

My daughter is eight, my wife is on board, and so I was off to the races.

This site is by far the best community I have ever seen, and when I first started my AR research this site amplified my desire, I felt like I was about to be part of a new family. It really is incredible I must say.

I am in my 40's and still have to work full time, so time is very valuable, and I can not afford to waste it.

After pouring over this site and reading countless issues with new AS, I have decided I just can not waste my time. I was hoping that the extra AS $$$ was going to buy me a (for the most part) hassle free experience, but there are big indications that is not the case.

My closest AS dealer is a five hour drive, so fine for yearly work, but not if I have too many issues. I have read that warranty work is best done by the mothership, which for me is a 5,000 mile road trip so not an option at all.

The stories of people buying and having issues to resolve, which for some reason seems an excepted normal, is just not what my hard earned $$$ is for IMHO.

I know the internet is a *bad news* filter meaning people will tend to post more when they have issues then when they do not. So this might be in play here?

Sigh... I want to be an AS owner, but I just can not get past some of the quality problems I have read. Am I missing something? Am I crazy to think that a ~$75k purchase should come with piece of mind?

As you can see, this is my first post, not the one I was hoping to make, but I am sure you can understand why I am making it. I am hoping I am wrong here, maybe this community can adjust my thinking, or better yet AS themselves can comment, but right now I am not buying. So let this be my first post, I am hoping AS reads this forum and sees the effect bad QA has on bottom lines.
A new AS can have issues -- just as a new Bentley can have issues. My PanAm and Safari Sport had some issues. You cannot expect 100% total quality control -- even for your 75K -- Sorry. Your MAIN challenge is your location; however, five hours to your dealer is better than 5k to the mothership!! If you really only want new, you know what's best. At least you can get stuff fixed under warranty. You can also use Camping World for minor issues. I prefer 2-year old used models because the original owner has dealt with the shakedown chores and the big initial depreciation of the AS. However, save some of your AS budget for stuff you'll need after buying the trailer. Airstream's are like adopting a
Ew and demanding teenager. Do Not Buy Too Small! I quickly found 22' to small and 34' just right!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I believe there are some legitimate quality concerns posted on the Forum. If you look closely you will see that some people are having problems while they are camping not sitting at their computers. To dismiss all of these people as "whiners" is counterproductive and disrespectful. A forum is a place where you meet to verbalize your experiences both good and bad. The free exchange of information is esential.

Dan
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider
bycrom,

First of all it's not a five hour drive from El Cerrito to Los Banos. I did the drive from Fremont to Los Banos on Friday, about two hours. Add another 30-45 minutes from El Cerrito.

I bought my new 2012 A/S in October back East, brought it home to the Bay Area and have been using the heck out of it. The dealer in Los Banos, Toscano has one of the most impressive service departments I've ever dealt with, RV or otherwise. I've had two warranty issues, both resolved to my satisfaction and neither of which was serious enough to talk about.

Speaking only for myself I'm satisfied that I got my monies worth with my new Airstream. My first RV was more expensive, had a great reputation and I found it to have major QA issues, the Airstream has been much better, the service has been better and my contacts with Airstream have been great.

I can't imagine taking my trailer to Ohio for service, when the warranty expires I may or may not make the drive to Los Banos or I may find a quality RV shop closer to home.

You can spend over a million dollars on a gee-wiz 45' motorhome and hear the same negative whining that permeates this forum.
Hey (everyone) and xo1rider,

Thanks so much for the reply, I meant 5 hours total driving, coming home counts :-) Your post being from someone who has worked with what would be my dealer is well received. After reading it made me realize I need to take a drive down there and give it a look, talk to them, etc.

I really do hope this all leads to a post showing my new AS....
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We love our AS. We purchased it a little over a year and a half ago. The previous owner only used it 3 times (his wife just didn't like camping). As far as we can tell, he has no QA problems nor have we. We really enjoy our trips and everyone we have met along the way. In fact we do more entertaining in our AS than we do at home. Hope you decide to get your AS and that we meet up with you on the road to hear of your fantastic adventures in your new TT.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm in a similar situation - in my 40s, both of us work a lot. Here's my suggestion: find a good used trailer, and then find a good RV mechanic (maybe even one who has worked on many Airstreams) nearby.

We did this, buying a lightly used 2007. The thing isn't perfect, and I've had it to my local shop multiple times. But we love using it. We're working through the problems and doing upgrades, as an engineer with a credit card is wont to do.

I stress buying well-cared-for used because the problems I've encountered are just a bit more tolerable at the $32k we paid. If I paid the $51k (MSRP new in 2007) or $62k (the MSRP for a new 2012 version of the trailer), I'd be spitting nails. And I'd probably be posting a lot of angry posts on the forums. (And it's easier to tow the trailer 1 hour to the shop I trust rather than 2.5 hours for warranty work to the dealer that I don't.)

There's no perfect RV. They all need work. A great quote I read here when I was just starting to shop was "Don't expect owning an Airstream to be like a Japanese car." The QC just isn't there yet, industry-wide. That said, based on a lot of reading, probably the best option if you want hassle-free RVing is a Casita or a similar fiberglass "egg" - but they're tight for a family of 3...

You need to decide if the experience is worth the expense and hassle. We've met great people who are fellow Airstream owners - but then again, we met great people when we owned our T@B as well. If you really want to do it, then give it a try. Just take some steps to help with the cost and the hassle.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I believe there are some legitimate quality concerns posted on the Forum. If you look closely you will see that some people are having problems while they are camping not sitting at their computers. To dismiss all of these people as "whiners" is counterproductive and disrespectful. A forum is a place where you meet to verbalize your experiences both good and bad. The free exchange of information is esential.

Dan
I totally agree. If I were ever in the market for a new Airstream, I'd want to hear all sides of the issue, and then make up my own mind. It would appear that the OP has already done some good research, and is asking for some advice. In my opinion, that's what these forums are all about.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
I totally agree. If I were ever in the market for a new Airstream, I'd want to hear all sides of the issue, and then make up my own mind. It would appear that the OP has already done some good research, and is asking for some advice. In my opinion, that's what these forums are all about.
Agree, an informed decision is best!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
By', you have 2 questions—the posts on this forum and whether Airstreams are made well.

Some people buy new trailers and have few or no problems; others, us included, have many. The dealer was awful. We eventually took the trailer to Ohio, twice, (1,400 miles each way) and made it part of a trip. There were many issues of poor workmanship, low quality parts and design. The things not fixed under warranty I have fixed and I continue to upgrade cheap parts and make this our trailer, designed the way we want it. That's the negative side.

The positive is the basic design of the trailer, done decades ago, is good and it tows well. It looks and feels cool—that's why people want them. There is this Forum for Airstreams and it is a resource for information.

Thor Industries makes mediocre and worse RV's and Airstream is their premium line, but it appears to be average amongst RV's. There are better quality trailers, but they don't look cool and don't tow as well. Like has been said, these are not Japanese or even American cars; RV standards are low, so whatever you buy, you may be disappointed. This is not a good thing, but unfortunately, it is reality.

Like many suggest, look at ones several years old, well maintained and with upgrades. If I knew what I know now, I would have looked for one like that, but was ignorant about RV's. Many problems get solved under warranty, so the tendency is that trailers several years old have had a lot fixed. But there are also persistent problems that have to be solved some day—leaks are common, for example.

Comments on the Forum: there are those who have had bad experiences and they will tell about it. There are those who prefer happy talk and can come down hard on someone who has had real problems. Perhaps the happy talkers haven't had problems. Maybe they just like to discount anyone who has. They may say the same people complain all the time. And there are some people who haven't had a boatload of problems, but can see the design defects and cheap materials used in places. I may not be an engineer like Tom, but I guess I look at things like he does and want to fix what is done badly.

If you really want one of these trailers, check them out. You don't want to buy another brand and everytime you see an Airstream feel regrets. It is best to make sure you know how you feel about all of this. There are forum and club rallies and you can go to them and talk to people about their trailers. Check them out at dealers and stop people at gas stations or elsewhere with Airstreams and see what they say.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote