Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Bait and switch!?

Carol -

Sorry to hear of your big time upset with the new trailer. Is there a possibility of a 'bait and switch' at the dealer. Happens quite a bit with cars & dealers - why not TT's?

You must want to really (*#$@$#%^ somebody about now!!!!!!

Stay calm, nail 'em and get the trailer that YOU WANTED!!!!!!

Best of luck!

Axel

Old 04-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Carol -

I would contact the Airstream factory directly (there was a woman there in sales - I can't remember her name - that gave me info. about my trailer order) and ask why they switched on you -- I'll bet they didn't and it was someone else between you and the factory.

Don't rely on third hand info. Go directly to the source. And once you find out who made the unauthorized switch, raise holy hexx.

John

Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I received this from Airstream in response to my e-mail today.

"Airstream strives to upgrade and update our products on a daily basis. We had been getting several complaints on the Status interior in the Front Bedroom models. It was noted that with the dinette and bench seating area joining together that the striped fabric on the dinette seat against the taupe fabric of the sofa was too contrasting and not very appealing to the eye. Therefore, we took our dealers comments under advisement and made a running line change a couple months ago on this color scheme. Obviously, you nor the dealer were familiar with this change.

I am working with (the dealer) to try to satisfy your request for the striped cushions. I have told him that new cushion covers could be ordered in the striped fabric should you decide that is the direction you want to go. I ask that you continue with the scheduled pick-up of your unit and if you should decide when you see the unit that you want the cushions in the striped fabric, we can get them on order for you and we can have them shipped to you within a couple weeks."

This is the response I have composed thus far but I am sitting on it, trying to wait out my intense fuming!!!!!!!!!!

"The order was expressly written to have a striped dinette and a beige lounge to insure no variance or confusion. I have waited weeks already and I don't like to take posession of a unit that is not attractive or even resembles the startus interior as represented by Airstream that I ordered. The decision was already made by me when I had to change from forest sage. I don't think Airstream should take carte blanche with customer's orders. Decisions to counter tops were integrated in the package and my choice. White and beige and no contrast or interest or varying fabric lacks luster. If this unit were on the lot I would pass it by.

I have bought housewares to match the interior that I ordered and have spent many hours planning and relying on my interior choice. It is such a blow to finally get my long awaited unit and not be happy with it. Disappointment was not what I was expecting to feel."

I don't know what to do at this point. I have a perfectly good 2005 Classic that has a beautiful interior. I was hoping to be wowed at the time of releasing it as a trade-in.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #60

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I received this from Airstream in response to my e-mail today.

"Airstream strives to upgrade and update our products on a daily basis.

I have bought housewares to match the interior that I ordered and have spent many hours planning and relying on my interior choice. It is such a blow to finally get my long awaited unit and not be happy with it. Disappointment was not what I was expecting to feel."

I don't know what to do at this point. I have a perfectly good 2005 Classic that has a beautiful interior. I was hoping to be wowed at the time of releasing it as a trade-in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are willing to send you the seat cushions covers that will satisfy your order. Since there has been concern about the contrast, my gut feeling is the concern came from feedback from potential buyers to the dealer. After all everyone has their own tastes and if the trailer sits on the lot and is hard to move because of the fabrics, then I can understand why the dealers have input their concerns.

My feeling is you do have a win/win situation here. If the trailer is already in transit I would accept it with the stipulation that new covers will be ordered. Secondly for your time and trouble, you want to keep the covers that you don't like. Once you get your preferred covers, remove and store the ones you don't like. When you go to resell your trailer you will have a fresh set to install that may either overcome an objection to your original choices or maybe something that will take care of the wear and tear that occurs over time.

We are storing our original bed spread, not because we don't like the color, but we don't think its very practical or comfortable. The day we sell or trade our Classic, that original bed spread will be placed back on the bed and for all intents the bed will be back to its original fabric scheme.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
NY , New York
I guess the old saying rings true, "to each his own." We had ruled out the Stratus interior because of the contrasting seat cushions, but when we got to the dealer, much to our delight, the Stratus that he had on the lot was of the one color variety. So delighted we were in fact that we bought it on the spot. Jack has the right idea... get the new covers and keep the old ones, this way you can always revert back to the more popular color scheme when you trade it in or sell it.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Ok here's an update. I am going to pick up my unit Tuesday. New cushions will be UPSed to me. I have to say once again Airstream is long on customer satisfaction and turning around frustration.

There is one enlightenment and one mystery. NO notation as to my preference to striped dinette and beige lounge was made. I realized production changes could and would likely happen at some point which was why I stipulated my preference to begin with to avoid any "nasty" surprises.

Airstream said no notation was made, dealer said it was made but disregarded. I tell you I don't really care which at this point. As wrapped up in this and ready to blow as I was, both dealer and Airstream has turned frustration into customer satisfaction. So to be fair (now that I am calm[er] again) it has been my experience that Airstream will bend over backwards to address all customer concerns in a very friendly manner to boot. And not an easy job when you go toe to toe with Airstream owners with high expectations. I think there is more than just a little of, "I paid this much and I want everything to be wonderful." But trust me, it will be. They have legions of dedicated employees who strive to make it so.

Jack, excellent idea about those cushions being replaced. Thanks all for listening and when next you hear from me I will have become a happy camper!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Carol-- don't mean to stur the pot but you're easier pleased than me. the principle of the thing would have me walking. I always hate to start a deal off on the wrong foot. ---Pieman
Old 04-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
At least they KNOW who she is!

Pie -

Hey, at LEAST they KNOW! who Carol is.... AND, Carol ain't happy, then the dealer don't get the $'s and the trade....

Sounds like sound economic buying power to me. Customer is KING!

Spent several years living in Europe and as the customer, you AIN'T nobody. SUPER frustrating coming from here, the system is just set up different 'over there'.... sorry to say. When in europe, then do as the europeans and take it! or leave it. Old iron curtain countries are coming to the US/ CiK! system with SERIOUS gusto - must like those $'s!?

Carol, I say that if the deal is OK to you, then all the power to you! and don't let ANYONE off the hook.

Peace

Axel
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #65
_

. , .
hi carol and others

don't make happiness ride on the build or appearance of the the airstream.....it is just tooo easy to be heartbroken.

never show up at delivery expecting to take delivery.....
it's not yours till ya buy it.......
so don't wrap so much emotion into it ........yet....
make a list...the things that need fixing, changing and so on....
stay over night IN the unit.

sign the paper work the next day IF your list of fixes contains no deal breakers....

i agree with jack, you will have 2 sets of cushion covers now and can archive or rotate or mix or whatever.

take a camera and shoot pics of every detail that needs attention....
this is great documentation of issue....
when words can only convey emotions...

have a great delivery experience and keep us updated.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
We have a 2006 Safari and it's had a few issues. Lots of cosmetic stuff like drawer handles that are stripped, screw covers (wood-like pegs) that popped off, plastic panels separating at the silicon joints. Velcro mirror tape that un-taped itself. Mirror screw that fell out. Many, many more. Then we had the more interesting problems. Fridge not plugged into AC -- that cost us a fridge rull of food to fix. Hot water heater that was set waaay to high and created a major black scorch on the side of the trailer. Currently our fridge does not work on AC and our air conditioner blows the breaker every once in a while. That's what I get to fix THIS weekend. Personally I think it's a P.O.S.