Old 01-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Lightbulb Putting my trailer undercover

Since I found a leak in my trailer, I decided it was time to put up a cover to park it under. I bought one of those metal framed carports with a vinyl tarp roof. We assembled it this afternoon and had the trailer under it by nightfall. It barely fits, in fact I had to lift up a leg to slide the trailer under the front edge because it is barely tall enough. However, the solution is good - it just needs some modifications.

So I am thinking of putting a booster under each leg. Maybe a piece of 4x4 post (which I have a bunch of in the shed). I also need to anchor it down - in fact I'm a little nervous about leaving it unanchored tonight, but it's too dark out there now to do anything about it. Luckily we don't get much wind out here so it should be ok, but I'm definitly planning to have it tied down by tomorrow. I'm thinking we might use pound-in fenceposts and pound one in next to each leg and bolt them together somehow. unfortunately the ground it's on is too rocky for screw in anchors.

I'll have pics tomorrow. If anyone has any good ideas for anchoring it or boosting the legs up, let me know now!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I am looking at something like that for my Caravel too. So hope you get photos up soon. Here in the North East we get hard winds so anchoring is important. I would dig out all four corners down a reasonable amount. Then pour concrete slabs with tie downs anchored right in the cement. You could pour the slabs as high as you need it for clearence. Of course this would only work if you didn't need to be able to move the cover.

whistler

Old 01-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Steph,

If you use the 4X4 posts to raise it you will amplify the wind lift you are concerned about. Right now it would be hard for the wind to get under it since the AS is filling the space.

I would drill holes into the end of the 4X4 sections and using some type of adhesive or fastener anchor the legs into the wood. This could be a cross drilled hole that passes through the wood and the upright post allowing a screw or bolt to hold them together. Additionally you could attach a piece of flat iron to the bottom of the post that extends to the outside of the structure and place rocks/blocks/or planters on top of the iron to hold the cover down.

This makes it movable and allows for tear down if necessary.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
COVER

Wish I had a picture, what I use is:

A metal pipe 1" dia. (or 1 size larger than the leg pipe) cut to 4/5 ft long. Put this in a 5 gal bucket. fill bucket 3/4 full with quick setting concret. Once the concret is firm slide the cover legs into the 1" pipe sticking out of the bucket. You can drill holes in the pipe for any height up to the top of the 1" pipe and use this to bolt thru an anchor pin (I tie the top side cover rail to the bucket handle as the anchor).
You will need one for each leg. Since you all ready have the cover up you could make these up before pouring in the concreat.
You can later move the buckets should you take down the cover also fill the last 1/4 of bucket with dirt and plant flowers in the buckets.

Garry
Old 01-23-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Simple solution

Acquire (3- 4) 10 feet sections of EMT conduit from local HD or Lowes.
Also acquire, Set Screw coupling that fits conduit.

Last but not least, they sell a thumbscrew in the hardware section that is the same size as the screw that comes in the coupling. Remove setscrews and replace with thumbscrews.

Conduit should be one size larger than frame assembly.

Sink a three foot section of conduit about 2 feet in ground leaving 1 foot exposed.

install set screw coupling on conduit. now insert frame into opposite end of coupling. tighten thumbscrew.

Voila!

Smily
Old 01-23-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Stephanie - I've been thinking along the same lines as you. I still need to finish polishing before I put on my AC and then I'll know just how much I need to raise the cover, which is still in the box. As far as anchoring the cover, I was thinking that I would use the weight of the trailer as the hold down by fabricating some type of flat metal plate with tie-down holes that I could park the wheels of the trailer on top of. I really can't use anchor posts and rope as my trailer is parked 3 feet away from my neighbor's property.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

trailer cover

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast, where we are susceptible to Tropical Storms and Hurricanes, I have seen several different methods of tying down tents, canopies, etc.
The rocky soil you have does present quite a challenge.
Depending on how many legs you have on your cover and how much ‘lift’ Mother Nature will cause on your cover, a 5, 35 or 55 gallon plastic drum filled with water provides quite a bit of anchoring power. Using this type of ‘anchor’ allows you to easily move it [after you drain it]. Be sure to add a little bit of bleach and keep it ‘sealed’ to it to keep algae from growing in the water.
Another method is to acquire 2 pieces of angle or channel iron, or even an ‘I’ beam and have it run on either side of the cover. Drill holes and use a shackle to attach the tie down.
For additional reinforcement, I have seen folks run light steel cable through the tubing that supports the fabric of the canopy, though this may be ‘overkill’ for your area.
You don’t state what type of material your canopy frame is, but presuming it is either round or square tube, you should be able to take that information to a metal fab shop and have them simply make an extension that would slip in above what ever type of ‘footer’ the manufacturer supplied [if any.]
I have several other ideas, but this is already too long a posting, right?

This is my FIRST post to this forum, so please forgive me. I have read most of the FAQ’s, but have not seen whether we can email each other directly. I could give more ideas and more details if anyone wished. And, I don’t want to violate any forum rules by posting my email address here.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Talmage, you don't have to worry about getting scolded on this forum, unless you get WAY out of line (like being rude)! Unlike some forums I've been on, where the moderators can get kind of cranky, we're all here to share info and help each other out. After all, some 'streamer might be searching this forum a year from now and find this post and need the same info!

Here a picture of the canopy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	4538  

Old 01-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
And another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	4539  

Old 01-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
You guys all have such good ideas, I'm going to have to go think about it while I'm at work today. The frame is made of round tube, about 2" I'd say without measuring it. Each leg has a plastic foot that bolts to the bottom of the leg. The foot is about six inches across, and has 3/8" holes in it all around.

As for height, I think if I could even raise it just 6 or eight inches it would be enough to get in and out easily. Nothing is touching now that it's centered under there. The main problem was that the front of the canopy had to be folded back to keep it from catching on the vent covers, and my husband brought it in at a little bit of an angle, which is why I had to lift the front corner to keep it from touching. Backing it in was a pain - I tried it and finally hopped out of the truck in frustration and had Dave do it!

Either way it rained like a son-of-a-gun last night, and the trailer is dry and happy this morning - - I'm on the right track!

one more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	4540  

Old 01-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

Is that the side of your garage in the 1st picture? And, is this the designated spot that you park your Airstream?

If so, I would consider the earlier suggestion of pouring concrete at the four corners with a steel ring set in each, to tie down to. I might even look into pouring a concrete pad to park the trailer on all the time and eventually build a permanent roof over it.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use the above mentioned method...I filled plastic pails 2/3 up with concrete, with a plastic pipe centered in them, then I slid the poles from my shed into the plastic pipe, drilled a hole and bolted through the 2 parts. It has been up through some serious wind here....although this is NOT KANSAS (Dorothy)....and has held up surprisingly well.

My thinking is I did not want a permanent structure, and the vinyl shed cost me a ridiculous 20 bucks on closeout.
My motorhome fits nicely with a bit sticking out at the end.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

hi stefrobrts. good idea with the canopy. we are located in boring oregon. my sister-in-law lives in battleground. we just covered ours with a huge tarp, but we need something better. how much did this cost?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
The canopy was $179 at Fred Meyers. I've seen them on sale cheaper, but of course I waited until it was full price to decide I had to have one I was told by a guy in Seattle with a Caravel that he got one at Costco and his Caravel fit perfectly under it.

Definitly don't leave a tarp on yours because it'll get all scuffed up and you'll be kicking yourself later!

I would like a permanent structure eventually, but we haven't decided where to put it, and because of setbacks, easements, and wetlands on our three acres, we have to decide carefully where to place it, so temporary seems like a more immediate solution.