Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I wish I had 3 acres!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think I could ever go back to a neighborhood now that I've had a little room to stretch out!

I stopped by the Depot on the way home and looked around a bit. The thing that most caught my eye was deck piers, which are 12" square concrete footings, with a mounting plate on top for 4X4" posts. I think one of these under each leg, tied together by 4X4s laid across each pair, with the plastic foot mounted to the wood would be very heavy and stable, but could still be disconnected and moved if necessary. It will lift it up about a foot.

We'll pick some up this weekend and give it a shot. At $5 each, if I don't like it I'll only be $40 down the drain (and I'm sure I could find another use for them somewhere around here). I'll post pics when we see how it goes.

When we set it up yesterday the hardest part was hooking up the trailer to move it out of the way while we assembled the carport. It took about half an hour to get it on the ball. I guess we're out of practice. The part that was really hard was putting it under the cover and unhooking it again. Once we had it hooked up I just wanted to hop in and go somewhere. Oh well. Spring is coming soon (I hope).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #17
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Steph:
If the pipe is 2" you might think about addiing extensions using 2"PVC pipe and couplings. It looks like it might be PVC from the photo.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #18
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Putting my trailer undercover

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
Since I found a leak in my trailer, I decided it was time to put up a cover to park it under.
Have you addressed the leak itself?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:28 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
The frame is metal, and it's pretty sturdy, not the whimpy stuff. I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve drilling it because I think it would probably eat up a few drill bits if I have to go that way. We're going to pick up those piers today and give that a shot.

I haven't addressed the leaks yet because it has been raining pretty constantly so I can't get up there to re-seal anything. That's why I wanted to get it under cover so it could dry out, then I can determine what to do to repair any water damage inside and re-seal around the vent pipes, marker lights, and roof seams if necessary, and hopefully get it all back under control.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
When I redid my marker lights I used a blob of butyl tape that is used for mounting thermal windows,etc. in the wire hole as well as a new grommet. It seals great and remains soft,unlike caulking. Plumber's putty works as well. As for the rivets, a liitle Vulcem, but remember the electrical grounding is through the rivets .
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Steph---we were in a simular situation. With almost 5 acres the B&Z regs wouldn't allow a permanent type structure, so we used one of those tarp systems, along with putting in 3-4x6 treated posts on each side & then mounted the tarp legs on the posts. We also then added some cross rails to the sides & tops of the treated posts for strength. Enclosed the sides with tarps & now have the unit under cover. It is very easy to move in an out & also allows access for loading & unloading while under cover. As an added bonus I use the inside top cross members for access to the roof. We have had it this way for the last several years & It has worked fine ----so far. You may not want to go to this extreme, as the costs were a little more with the posts, etc. But if the city screams I can say it's not permanent. If the camera doesn't freeze up, when I go outside, I'll try to take a pic.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
A.E.> I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of how you built yours up. If the current setup moves in the wind, I think putting posts in would be my next move...

Ok, here's a pic of it with the deck piers with 4x4x8 posts mounted horizontally. The feet of the cover are screwed down to the wood. It's VERY heavy now, and I'll be surprised if it moves. I'll keep a close eye on it. It lifted the canopy up high enough there shouldn't be any problem getting it in and out now.

Chester the Dal supervised our work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy4.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	4565  

Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Steph ---24 hrs & 2 foot of snow later I finally have apic & will try to attach it. Remember the way the package is wrapped doesn't mean there isn't a jewel inside. Like I said this set-up works fine for us. Inside I have put cross pieces in & use them for access to the roof. Doesn't matter if it's raining, etc if loading or unloading.
Best,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storag #3.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	4587  

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 01-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
steph --if you look at the center of the top, you can see the center of the tarp frame. Also in the summer the front is left open, so we have easier access, etc. Hope this helps for ideas. BTW, that's the Mr. Ernest T. Turbo in front, probably thinks we're going, but for now that's just wishful thinking.
Best,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storage#1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4588  

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 01-27-2004, 12:13 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, I think Mr Turbo's going to have to wait for the spring thaw - you guys have really got it deep! Luckily we don't have that sort of weather to contend with, just rain rain rain. It's usually pretty well over by July though Thanks for the pics, You've really got that thing framed up pretty good.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Past Practices -

I used a similar canopy system over my boat for three years, or until the silvered tarp began to degrade into trash. I moved the frame to the coast last year and bought a new tarp with new ties and have yet to put it back together. Now we have an AS and this frame/tarp are coming back to town and set up in the storage yard. I like the 5 gal bucket plan and concrete since the storage yard might like it moved after we go. Ours came from HD and was on closeout at about 95$. The new tarp could be reodered from the company. I haven't checked the height but with the boat I could walk on deck without problems and the boat was on it's trailer.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
We've had some of the worst windstorms in the last few days that I have seen the whole four years we've been here. Trees were falling down all up and down the road, but our canopy stayed in place just fine. Not to say I wasn't standing outside in the driving rain at 2am watching it to make sure!

The only problem is that the feet are pretty well planted but the top leans back and forth with the wind. So today we tied it down by running cables from the top corners down to fence posts pounded into the ground on one side, and into an existing 4x4 planted in concrete on the side by the garage. Now it's solid as a rock, no motion at all, and I can have some peace of mind and sleep through the next windy night!

Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm a Believer

OK Steph. With your story of the wind storm and how your anchored canopy stayed put, I'm sold on the idea. I've had a canopy for over a year now, still in what's left of the box. I just need to get the AC on and I'll put up the canopy. Steph, can you take a close-up shot of one of the feet of the canopy with the wood and the concrete base so I'll get a clearer picture of what you did? Thanks.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote