Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
purchasing new Airstream

We are ready to purchase our first Airstream, and are preparing to send bid requests to several dealers. As there are only two in Michigan we are planning to send bid requests to dealers out of state. However we would like to not have to travel any farther than necessary.

My fist question is: has anyone dealt with the two dealers in Michigan and how would you rate them?

My second question is: Where is the best closest dealer to southeast Michigan?

Price is of course an issue but quality of customer service is equaly important.

Any advise anyone has to offer would be appreciated.
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Wecome to the forum and I wish you good hunting for your new AS. Being way out here in CT I can not help you with dealers in your area but I will throw in my 2 cents. Research their service department whoever you go with. I feel service is worth a little extra in the price of a unit if it is great service. Don't forget, you have a two year warranty and will want to feel good about the people working on your AS. Please keep us posted!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogfox
We are ready to purchase our first Airstream, and are preparing to send bid requests to several dealers. As there are only two in Michigan we are planning to send bid requests to dealers out of state. However we would like to not have to travel any farther than necessary.

My fist question is: has anyone dealt with the two dealers in Michigan and how would you rate them?

My second question is: Where is the best closest dealer to southeast Michigan?

Price is of course an issue but quality of customer service is equaly important.

Any advise anyone has to offer would be appreciated.
I can't offer you actual experience, but if you look into it, you'll see that Woodland in Grand Rapids has been an Airstream dealer since the sixties. Must be doing something right. Actually, I have heard good things about them. You might drop a line to Carol (WheelInterested) and see what she knows about them. There used to be a dealer in Southgate, but looks like they got out of it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Michigan RV Dealers

I have only had dealings with Woodland Travel Center in Grand Rapids. Both of my A/S's were purchased there. I'll put it this way, I will only do business with Woodland. The Carlson family owns this business are very honest people. One of the sons, Craig Carlson, is over the service department. He is the best in my book. Our latest purchase was a 2007 Classic 34' SO and they gave us a great deal. My last A/S a 2005 Safari 30' LS had to have a rear panel replaced and when I picked it up it looked brand new. Woodland even does custom work on vintage units. Woodland, not Airstream, will always do any work that I need. I feel like I am visiting old friends when I go by. Can you tell I am prejudice?

Good luck with your decision. If I can be of further help just let me know.

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome, and good advice above...

Welcome, and good luck with your search... You can also search here now for key words in tab above like "buying" and "discount" and "Purchase" and see other threads on similar subjects...

What I believe you'll find is that some dealers are very aggressive, some less so on pricing, and some run service departments as source of quick profits only from captives, while others are in it for long term relationships...

Many of us would pay something extra for relationship with dealer we can get to with good service reputation, and many dealers now understand that doing good service at reasonable prices is part of recipe for long term survival and reputation. You may choose to be aggressive in purchase, but decision should be made consiously. It is actually a national market, now, and you might find real aggressive deal from dealer over 1,000 miles away (they KNOW they won't be worrying about your warranty problems...). Several of the active internet marketing dealers might be valuable to at least decide whether deal closer to home is reasonable or not...

Finally, try searching on dealer names and see what you find, and consider private messages to some of the members who posted to get details that might not be appropriate for public version of Forums..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
dealers

Call 800-378-5883 and ask for David Tidmore, he will make the drive too Weatherford, Texas worth your while.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote