Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Very cool! Good luck on your project! A couple of things as food for thought... we have a Bambi that my husband restored and did a complete shell off and worked on the frame, etc. A couple of things we didn't "think" of 10 years ago when we worked on it... make sure everything you put in that might someday need repair is fully accessible! My husband put in a couple of places where he could work on the black tank, etc. if problems should arise that weren't there to begin with... but one thing we did was use the same plan as the original for the water lines. We did install pex instead to avoid freezing issues, however, we did have a leak in a joint of the pex one severe winter even though we thought we had drained and blew out the lines... it was the place that was nearly inaccessible. Hubby had to take out the refrigerator and part of the cabinets to get to it!

Our original water lines (pipes) run along the outside wall of the trailer...I would recommend making them closer to the inside if at all possible, much easier to get to turn on turn off valves and repairs. Whatever you do, think how you can access things later when repairs are needed. That way you won't have any repairs!

Looks like a great project and it will be fun to watch it progress! Here is a link to the long thread my husband made when he did the complete restoration of our Bambi... he has lots of photos and explanations of things he came across and how he managed them.... in all your spare time you might scroll through it! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

Enjoy, and hopefully we will see you on the road in the near future!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Enterprise , Alabama
I did notice the one black/grey tank. the reason behind that ( I learned from reading the original manual) is because back in the day they use to just dump the grey water strait on the ground. the plan is to put the bathroom in the front and a full size bed in the back. keeping all the water and LP lines FWD of the axles. I spent today removing the white aluminum corrosion and covering with an anti corrosion paint. a lot of work ahead. I'm hoping it won't be too much to handle. If anyone is in the south east Alabama area I wouldn't mind some help.
linscott_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Enterprise , Alabama
Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Enterprise , Alabama
doesn't really show the work, but I used lock tight rust converter and a anti rust primer. after looking at the structure, I've come to the conclusion I cannot pull all the floor at once due to the support to the shell. Am I correct in thinking this? I think i should put up supports or something.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Enterprise , Alabama
here is some of the side panel i did today
Old 07-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Enterprise , Alabama
Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member