Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Talking PROUD NEW OWNERS of a 1974 International Overlander

YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Well, we finally have our AIRSTREAM! I went and paid for it today and will tow it home tomorrow. Just sitting here reading the Owners Manual and The Service Manual.... a lot of info!
One question, the former owner couldn't find the keys to all of the outside access compartments. How can I get these? Do the locks need to be changed (OUCH!)? Hopefully the former owner will find them!
Thanks,
Anna and Greg
P.S. Hope to have pictures for you soon. Also, we need help coming up with a name for her.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Congratulations on your new to you coach. We had the same year and model for a couple of years. On most of the Airstreams made in the 70's the outer compartments all used the same key and there was not much varation of keys between trailers. Your best bet is to find a older airstream dealer and see if they have a box of misc. keys, most do. The locks may have a number stamped into them that could help you in locating keys as well. One other option is to take it to a rally and ask if anyone would be willing to try their keys in your locks. If they work see if you can "borrow" the working ones for an hour or two and run to the store and have some copies made.

Hope you enjoy your new to you Airstream!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to take lots of photos tomorrow. Get photos of it (her?) where it sits before you leave. That's always a nice one to start an album. You'll be amazed how much you've done and learned (some of it the hard way) by the end of a year.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Question Now what do we do?

Okay, so we made it home safe and sound, but now what?
I thought I knew a little bit about Airstreams, but I now realize that I know absolutely nothing.
How do we get it up and running?
How do we turn on the lights?
If any one could give us a crash course on Airstreaming I would be greatful!
Thanks,
Anna
Old 11-09-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Congratulations on getting your Airstream home.

The AirstreamForums can be your crash course. Do searches on the subjects you are interested in.

If you can't find what you are looking for or need clarification, break your questions down into seperate Thread Posts instead of asking 10 questions in one post, and post them in the appropriate Forum subject category. This way people can respond to each question. To many questions and answers in one post tend to get muddled and overwelming trying to sort the replies out.

If you did not get the Owners Manual/ Service Manual, these can be obtained for a small fee from :

Helen Davis at Secretarial Services
PO Box 484
Sidney, OH 45365
(937) 492-8885

Good Luck and congratulations on your "New to You" Airstream;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As far as coming up with a name...do you have any ideas yet?

We named ours "Maxwell" after the original owner. We were fortunate to have all the orginal paperwork with the trailer so it was easy.

Shari

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone. We are going to have to read our owners manual from cover to cover. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks !!!
-Anna