Old 11-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Propane grill question

We brought along a Coleman road trip propane grill. I have the hardware needed to run a propane tank line directly to the grill.

I know the grill is designed to use the portable propane tanks, but was told you can use full-size propane tanks to provide the fuel.

Last night I set it up to use for the first time. It operated perfectly for a few minutes and then shut off. The propane tank is full, and is operating other propane things such as the propane campfire set up (so I know it's not the propane tank)

Now it will not late at all, but again when I set it up to another propane appliance, it's supplies propane perfectly.

Any idea why this will not work? I am imagine it's the regulator or something with the hose but I'm not sure.

Can I do anything on this trip so I can use it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415280516.464361.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	886.6 KB
ID:	225848

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmmm, mine works fine with 20lb bottles as well as my AS 30# bottles.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
However, I can tell you this, if you open the bottle quickly, and the line is lower than the bottle (on the ground), and is long (yours appears so), you can get liquid propane in the line instead of vaporized propane....especially if the bottle is full or near full.

Disconnect the hose, after shutting off the bottle and open the grill knob. Let all the pressure off the line and let it sit open for a few minutes.

Hook everything back up and open the bottle VERY slowly, to prevent liquid getting in the line.

Also, on another brand of grill I noted a reduced flow after about 30 seconds of use. It works fine with 1 lb bottles, but seems to have an over-pressure situation with my 30# bottles. I am not sure I understand why, but I have to have the 30# bottle just barely cracked open to get a full BTU flame with that grill. I tried a new regulator and it does the same thing. It's like it has over-pressure protection in the regulator. It runs full flame for a bit, I hear a "valve" close, and then it runs at about 1/2 flame. If I "starve" it for fuel by just cracking the bottle valve open, it works fine.

Maybe someone knows how 1# bottle delivery differs from larger bottles. I can't see it, but it is different.

Hope this helps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
I have had propane lines freeze in cold temps.
Try a less than full? Tank?
High altitude will effect the burning of propane as well.
Try setting up in the sunshine keep the lines from freezing.
Good luck!
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This is a perennial problem with Airstream Interstates that have a built-in ASME propane tank.

For an Airstream trailer with DoT propane cylinders, is the line running to your grill coming off the cylinder on the high-pressure side of the regulator (line to the grill between regulator and cylinder) or on the low-pressure side (regulator is between the line to the grill and the cylinder)?

If your line running to the grill is on the low-pressure side, the problem is most likely that you're regulating the propane flow twice, once at the cylinder and once at the grill, resulting in too little propane flow to stay lit.

In order to use the grill hooked up directly to the Airstream's propane cylinders, you may have to replace the grill's regulator with a non-regulated propane connection fitting.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Protag....I think you're thinking backward. Hooking directly to the AS TANK (bottle) should require no change in grill setup. Hooking to an AS low pressure line fitting requires a grill fitting with no regulator (in most cases).

Some items require a step down regulator (rv stoves, for example) but I have not heard of any outdoor grills that require it.

HOWEVER, OP seems to state he is hooked to a "full size" bottle, not AS low pressure fitting.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Protag....I think you're thinking backward. Hooking directly to the AS TANK (bottle) should require no change in grill setup. Hooking to an AS low pressure line fitting requires a grill fitting with no regulator (in most cases).
I thought that's what I said in my next-to-last sentence, but my last sentence was wrong. Thank you for the correction.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I thought that's what I said in my next-to-last sentence, but my last sentence was wrong. Thank you for the correction.
I figgered it wasn't what you said...but what you meant.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Yes, here is my bottle: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415288111.105946.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	225859
Old 11-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
I too have a Colman propane grill. I purchased a 20-ft. long hose that goes between the 40# airstream tank and the grill. The hose hooks directly to one of the tanks that is not being unitized by the airstream itself. The grill is hooked to the propane tank directly. That is to say hooked in before the regulator. I would open the valve pressuring up the hose and stove. The grill would light but soon go out. Closed the valve and reopened numerous times with the same result. One time when opening the valve I heard a distinct click sound coming from the tank. Then I realized the tank has a build in emergency shut off system. If propane leaves the tank to fast a valve automatically shuts down the system not letting propane escape. If one of the copper airstream propane lines were to to be severed the tank would automatically shut down. To remedy the situation I would open the propane tank valve very slowly pressuring up the 20-ft hose slowly. So try just cracking open the valve slowly and see what happens.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Old 11-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanderson View Post
I too have a Colman propane grill. I purchased a 20-ft. long hose that goes between the 40# airstream tank and the grill. The hose hooks directly to one of the tanks that is not being unitized by the airstream itself. The grill is hooked to the propane tank directly. That is to say hooked in before the regulator. I would open the valve pressuring up the hose and stove. The grill would light but soon go out. Closed the valve and reopened numerous times with the same result. One time when opening the valve I heard a distinct click sound coming from the tank. Then I realized the tank has a build in emergency shut off system. If propane leaves the tank to fast a valve automatically shuts down the system not letting propane escape. If one of the copper airstream propane lines were to to be severed the tank would automatically shut down. To remedy the situation I would open the propane tank valve very slowly pressuring up the 20-ft hose slowly. So try just cracking open the valve slowly and see what happens.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Same result - nuthin. Works Great with this silly little propane tanks that are disposable