Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
When I picked up my brandnew AS, fuses where missing, lightbulbs not working, rivets popping, outlets not working, hinges falling off and windows not opening. And I still have to slam the door to get it shut and wake up everyone around me leave alone the others in my trailer...

Don't get me wrong I love my airstream but it's anything but perfect and QC is questionable

flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #30

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
I found this video of the building of an SOB, Jayco or something. Take a look at the quality (or rather, lack thereof) built into that unit. The sad thing is that this looks like a promotional video!

I watched it and it made me very, very happy that I have an Airstream. Video Player

I'm not a fan of SOB's. Not because of the quality, but rather the fact that I can't distinguish one from another. They all look alike to me.

However I don't understand why one would blatantly label SOB's as crap. I've read each post in this thread twice, and watched the video twice as well and quite simply I don't understand your logic.

Are you saying this because of the construction methods they use, the speed of assembly, or the materials? Just because something is assembled in a different manner doesn’t make it less worthy than our Airstreams. And as many have stated on this very forum, Airstream has more than their fair share of quality issues.

I’m glad there are other RV manufacturers still in business, and I hope the 15.3% unemployment rates the Elkhart area is experiencing gets better soon for everyone’s sake. Because if families can't afford to buy SOB's, then they probably can't afford the premium prices of an Airstream. Guess which brand stand to lose if this should this be the case?

As for being courtesous.

1. Remember that many here also own SOB's

2. I wouldn’t state something here that I wouldn’t be willing to say in person to the nice SOB family camping next to us.

Would you?

Off the soapbox

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I have had all kinds of rvs over the past 25 years. Trailers,class c and a motorhmes. For the money, winnebago/itasca give great value for the buck with some serious safety benefits others ignore. In the end, a motorhome is a hoot, but full of rattles and odors as they accumulate birthdays, not to mention the mechanical challenges of an aging drivetrain alongside huge dpereciation as they approach 75k miles. Almost all had sme sort of delamination or interior quality.

Despite the initial let down on corrosion, the Airstream in rerospect over the past 2 years and 22k miles of towing has exceeded expectations. Reliable, well insulated and a source of pride on the road and in the driveway. Currently traveling on a first time east coast run and looking at over 15k miles of towing between now and April, coast to coast. I have great confidence she will be trouble free, and yes some clear coat is peeling, but in the end an incredible value. If business picks up, a pan american is planned and that should speak volumes,
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
SOBs = Crap?

Hi, If I couldn't afford an Airstream, I would more than likely own an SOB. Other than the wooden body frame used on some of them, most all of the appliances are the same as Airstream. People in SOBs have just as much fun camping as we do, maybe more. There has to be a trade off in what you get for your dollar. I have seen brand new SOBs for about one third the price I paid for my Airstream, and I didn't pay list MSRP.

SOBs Crap? They can walk all over their roofs without fear of major damage. They even come with a ladder to do it with. They can carry a motorscooter or several bicycles on the back without worrying about body or frame damage. [still have to watch tongue weight] And almost any RV repair place will fix anything on them. Can't say that with my Airstream.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
We've owned two Airstreams and have loved every minute in 'em. We just sold our latest in order to get a MoHo - something larger than our Classic 'Stream.

Our new RV is an SOB, that is, not an Airstream and I can tell you that a Foretravel is not crap - they are very well built. Funny thing is, everything else to them, is an SOB and their forum discussions, to some degree, are not unlike those in the Airstream forums. It's all a matter of perspective...
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Foretravel is an excellent brand!

I think the OP was essentially talking about the cheaper RVs that we see around here by the dozen. White sided, slapped together, zero QC.

For the most part, people get what they pay for. (For some people, though, they get what they've got only because it cost a lot.)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
With regards to the idea of making a school bus into an RV.... It was done by BlueBird - check out their vintage Wanderlodges. You will not find a sturdier motor home anywhere! Unlike almost all other motor homes, a Wanderlodge can actually sustain a rollover without going to pieces; thanks in great part to their school bus lineage.

toddster is offline   Reply With Quote