Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
If it is Big Foot then you are correct, a great design and durable is the operative word. Have they survived the storm? I heard trouble was brewing for them.
No, unfortunately, they are now gone... another victim of bank panic and horrible exchange rates. My poor Bigfoot is now an orphan...

Livin' large in Juneau AK!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
No, unfortunately, they are now gone... another victim of bank panic and horrible exchange rates. My poor Bigfoot is now an orphan...

Roger
Roger...on the BF web site they have a note that the assets were purchased out of bankruptcy in Jan 2009 and the new "owners" are trying to sell the assets to someone that wants to "re-start". Probably won't go anywhere...but you may want to look Tom R in Two Harbors
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I think like Dakota's dad......whatever it takes to get those people out there and get the kids out doing something besides sitting in front of the tv with the xbox. Some of those SOB's are beautiful....even though I don't want one. I get to keep my feet planted though, my dad has a big 5ver I get to work on all the time! I'll be at his house saturday morning for the next round....
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Our Jayco is still in great shape after many miles and 6 camping seasons. It cost a fraction of what I similar sized AS would cost. Yep, I hope to have an AS sometime soon, but I will not knock an SOB either. They offer a lot of value to families that want to spend time together camping. If we had to depend on AS for that, well, most folks would have to stay home as they could not afford it. Also, from what I read on here. AS trailers have more than their share of problems and shoddy workmanship. Heck they are made my Thor who's rep in the SOB world is somewhat less than stellar.

BTW, that is a bummer about Bigfoot, them seemed to build a nice Rig. I also like Arctic Fox trailers and would likely go that route if I was to stay in the SOB world. However, I have a rather strong Airstream itch that I need to scratch (similar to the diesel itch that a scratched a few years ago!).
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Those guys in the video were flat moving.
-------------------------------
The corners on other brands give more
head-room and vertical storage. It is the
corners that seem to be their undoing also.
Those exterior corners!
-----------------------------
I am convinced that a vintage school bus
could be converted to an RV....been thinking
about it a while now....the wife told me
"you are NOT getting a school bus".
A school bus has rounded corners and uses
some serious rivets. They sorta have airstream
qualities. Parts would be easy to come by.
The view would be awesome...from the inside.
Would you dislike me if I pulled up and parked a school bus
next to your beautiful Airstream?
------------------
Let us be considerate toward other people and thier feelings.
If we do not...then false pride can turn into an ugly arrogance.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I'm amazed 6 hrs and out the door. Last schedule (last yrs Tour) I think Airstream was at about 13 or 14 a week. I'm so fortunate,my father had all SOB's,he got along just fine. For him and my mom its was all about campin. That's what it should be about,campin and having fun.
I watched both of the above videos, neither are what my wife and I watched that made up our mind on what brand we wanted to purchase. I think it was a 1/2 hr video at least and I think it was on a PBS channel and it was much more in depth and more detail.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
We had a '89 Coleman pop-up before the AS, and I thought it was very well engineered and constructed, for what it was. It had a space-saving shower in it, which is what gave me the idea to do something similar when I remodeled the AS. Those pop-ups have a lot of clever ideas in them, too bad they're not bear-proof.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Do people restore other brands the way they do Airstreams?

From the construction video I've seen, the "SOBs" look to me like they're built to be used for 7-10 years, then basically tossed in the trash. Airstream's construction allows renovation, so there's no reason an Airstream couldn't be on the road for decades. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
When I picked up my brandnew AS, fuses where missing, lightbulbs not working, rivets popping, outlets not working, hinges falling off and windows not opening. And I still have to slam the door to get it shut and wake up everyone around me leave alone the others in my trailer...

Don't get me wrong I love my airstream but it's anything but perfect and QC is questionable
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #30

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
I found this video of the building of an SOB, Jayco or something. Take a look at the quality (or rather, lack thereof) built into that unit. The sad thing is that this looks like a promotional video!

I watched it and it made me very, very happy that I have an Airstream.

msnbc.com Video Player

I'm not a fan of SOB's. Not because of the quality, but rather the fact that I can't distinguish one from another. They all look alike to me.

However I don't understand why one would blatantly label SOB's as crap. I've read each post in this thread twice, and watched the video twice as well and quite simply I don't understand your logic.

Are you saying this because of the construction methods they use, the speed of assembly, or the materials? Just because something is assembled in a different manner doesn’t make it less worthy than our Airstreams. And as many have stated on this very forum, Airstream has more than their fair share of quality issues.

I’m glad there are other RV manufacturers still in business, and I hope the 15.3% unemployment rates the Elkhart area is experiencing gets better soon for everyone’s sake. Because if families can't afford to buy SOB's, then they probably can't afford the premium prices of an Airstream. Guess which brand stand to lose if this should this be the case?

As for being courtesous.

1. Remember that many here also own SOB's

2. I wouldn’t state something here that I wouldn’t be willing to say in person to the nice SOB family camping next to us.

Would you?

Off the soapbox

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I have had all kinds of rvs over the past 25 years. Trailers,class c and a motorhmes. For the money, winnebago/itasca give great value for the buck with some serious safety benefits others ignore. In the end, a motorhome is a hoot, but full of rattles and odors as they accumulate birthdays, not to mention the mechanical challenges of an aging drivetrain alongside huge dpereciation as they approach 75k miles. Almost all had sme sort of delamination or interior quality.

Despite the initial let down on corrosion, the Airstream in rerospect over the past 2 years and 22k miles of towing has exceeded expectations. Reliable, well insulated and a source of pride on the road and in the driveway. Currently traveling on a first time east coast run and looking at over 15k miles of towing between now and April, coast to coast. I have great confidence she will be trouble free, and yes some clear coat is peeling, but in the end an incredible value. If business picks up, a pan american is planned and that should speak volumes,
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
SOBs = Crap?

Hi, If I couldn't afford an Airstream, I would more than likely own an SOB. Other than the wooden body frame used on some of them, most all of the appliances are the same as Airstream. People in SOBs have just as much fun camping as we do, maybe more. There has to be a trade off in what you get for your dollar. I have seen brand new SOBs for about one third the price I paid for my Airstream, and I didn't pay list MSRP.

SOBs Crap? They can walk all over their roofs without fear of major damage. They even come with a ladder to do it with. They can carry a motorscooter or several bicycles on the back without worrying about body or frame damage. [still have to watch tongue weight] And almost any RV repair place will fix anything on them. Can't say that with my Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We've owned two Airstreams and have loved every minute in 'em. We just sold our latest in order to get a MoHo - something larger than our Classic 'Stream.

Our new RV is an SOB, that is, not an Airstream and I can tell you that a Foretravel is not crap - they are very well built. Funny thing is, everything else to them, is an SOB and their forum discussions, to some degree, are not unlike those in the Airstream forums. It's all a matter of perspective...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Foretravel is an excellent brand!

I think the OP was essentially talking about the cheaper RVs that we see around here by the dozen. White sided, slapped together, zero QC.

For the most part, people get what they pay for. (For some people, though, they get what they've got only because it cost a lot.)

Lynn
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

With regards to the idea of making a school bus into an RV.... It was done by BlueBird - check out their vintage Wanderlodges. You will not find a sturdier motor home anywhere! Unlike almost all other motor homes, a Wanderlodge can actually sustain a rollover without going to pieces; thanks in great part to their school bus lineage.

http://www.vintagebirds.com/
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote