Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OP , Kansas
Probably Sacrilege - Rockwood Mini Lite?

As gorgeous as the new airstreams are they are pretty pricey. Anybody checked out the Rockwood Mini Lites? For lightweight trailers similar to the Airstream Sport Series they look pretty nice in the brochures and I wondered if anybody has any actual experience with them or knows somebody who owns one. Here is a pretty nice floorplan for 2 people at 22' and 4323 lb GVWR (the Rockwood Mini Lite 2104):

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...es=Mini%20Lite

Still trying to figure the whole lightweight trailer thing out and scheming on the right trailer that fits our needs, desires, and (unfortunately ) budget.

Chuck Brown
cbrown210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do you have to go new?

I have a 94 Sovereign. 21 Ft. and 3900 lb. Same floorplan as a new Airstream. Less expensive that your alternative......AND....its an Airstream. Look around the used market....you will be surprised. This is a good time of the year to search too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

Vintage Airstreams (25 years or older) are much lighter and usually more economical than new ones...

Check out this Vintage Trailer Spec section on Airstreams's website for additional information ~

Also, this Vintage Archives photo gallery and this Vintage Trailer Weight Chart

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Excellent advice by Melody Ranch. Here is a glimpse at how I put together my two rigs. I bought my '93 34 footer on Ebay a few years back for $19k. To date I have changed out the tires for $600, replaced the brake magnets - another $300, and swapped out the batteries. Does it need more work? Yes, I would like to put in a new floor and re-upholster the goucho and dinette seating. The point is I have a perfectly functioning and roomy Airstream for $20k+/-.

My '64 Trade Wind was purchased a few years back for $2500. A friend called me and said it was listed in his local PennySaver. I called the seller and made the purchase the next day. I have installed a new axle and tires for $1200. New floor and upholstery was another $1200. New battery and charger - $250. And that's it. A perfectly functioning 24 foot rig for $5k.

Stay away from plastic white boxes. They are usually crap and won't last. Good luck with your search for your Airstream. It is out there and waiting for you.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
From what I saw, that Rockwood is $22k MSRP new, but you can find them marked down to $15k online. It's a nice floorplan, I agree, but I'd rather go for a Trailmanor myself if I wasn't now wedded to aluminium.

There is some patience involved in finding an used Airstream (I took 14 months to find what I wanted), but it would seem to me that you could get a very nice used Airsteam for that price.

Used 2008 17' Sports appear to be priced near the MSRP for the Rockwood - it's not as good of a floorplan as the Rockwood, true, but it is an Airstream. You could probably find a used 2008 22' Sport for a few thousand more. Some 19' Bambis also hover in the $25k range. And that's not even considering vintage...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
There are a number of new lower-priced and light-weight designs out there that are very attractive. Some are junk and will fall apart in six to seven years, but there are a few of them are really nice and look like they're really well thought-out, designed, and constructed. The key is the construction methods and materials. Check out the Starcraft Star-Streams. I had the opportunity to look at one at US Adventure RV in Davenport IA the other day (while I was slinking around the Airstreams). I was very impressed with the construction and design, particularly as an ultra-lightweight.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
this interesting looking fiberglass euro-styled rig is mentioned in this months Trailer Life. $30-35k.

Galileo RV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galileo.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	92197  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown210 View Post
...Still trying to figure the whole lightweight trailer thing out and scheming on the right trailer that fits our needs, desires, and (unfortunately ) budget.

Chuck Brown
hi chuck

sorting out personal needs, budgets and factoring on the side, desires...

it a good approach.

big rv show in kc over the winter and lots of examples to view.

typically mark downs on ALL brands are 15-25% off msrp and nearly new used are even better priced.

modern streams aren't LIGHT in any size, when compared to other products or the same size.

and often have MUCH LESS storage capacity, holding tanks and LIVABLE SPACE.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...lan-58749.html

most new streamers are sucked in by the LOOK

and experienced streamers know they tow pretty well and can almost always be repaired, from any era.

there is some neat stuff and some well built units made by other vendors.

your best approach is an open mind and LOTS of looking.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
A guide for life

Our resident philosopher...2Air" is right again....
"your best approach is an open mind and LOTS of looking".
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OP , Kansas
Great info. I have checked the classifieds on this site and they are by far the best I've found. I like that 73 23' Safari that is advertised now. Problem is, it is a 73 and in PA and I am in KS and I'm not about to plunk down $9500 site unseen. Nice 75 25'Tradewind in St. Louis too. I'm going to keep looking and planning on going to the RV show here in KC in Jan.Appreciate all the great feedback from this site. It rocks! I'd love to have a '95ish Excella 25'. I'm going to checkout the TrailManor and StarCraft. Again, thanks for the info. In a way, the hunt is part of the fun.

Chuck Brown.

2Air - great name!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Chuck, we were researching for a few years and had around 10-15K to spend, it was either a new pop-up/expandable, or a restored/refurb Vintage, we purchased one 2 weeks ago and are confident we made the right choice for our family. A 1966 Airstream Tradewind. Super condition inside and out, so they are out there ya just gotta be patient and wait for the right fit, you'll know it when you step inside it. We wanted one to grow with our family. One important factor was that the Airstreams tend to hold their value better. As many Airforum members told me "it will speak to you". good luck and let us know what you decide! As someone mentioned above, the RV shows are coming around wintertime, that is a good place to see them all, kinda a one stop shop.
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Hi;

Don't know if this will help with your decision but for what it's worth...We bought a TrailManor 2720SL 4 years ago and liked it a lot. The sig other wanted an Airstream but we couldn't pull it with our SUV. We liked the TM layout.....but....the sink was too low, the bathroom sucked and climbing up into the bed was a pain. Two years later we bought a real tow vehicle and traded the TM for an Airstream. We love it.

sinjin
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Light weight or not, that will catch alot of air travelling down the road.......I look around myself,,,,,,,,

but..........

.....just ain't the real thing......

I think the aerodynamics with the AS is a huge factor, and the personal value another. There's no way I could find a 31 year old SOB and be able to hook up n go.

Good luck in your hunt....

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
We had a very nice 2006 trailer with the same layout as the one you are looking at. Very pretty, plenty of storage-but the dinette cusions bottomed out when we sat on them and the end of the bed was always in the way, too close to the door. We were contemplating some kind of fold-up couch to replace the bed when a hailstorm made up our minds for us. While the '66 Globetrotter has issues of its own (all age-related, just like me,) its much more comfortable. Also people wave when you pass by....
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
If you really want an Airstream, really, look and you will find one. Be patient we were and we found exactly what we wanted, love it! (4 years, Whew!)

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown210 View Post
I'd love to have a '95ish Excella 25'.
LOL. I'd like to have one of those too - like that floorplan a lot. Watch though - they're rather heavy.

This link might be helpful - a list of trailer lengths and weights up to 2002.

Quote:
I'm going to checkout the TrailManor and StarCraft. Again, thanks for the info. In a way, the hunt is part of the fun.
Take a look at the Trailmanor Elkmont, their hard-sided "upright" (it doesn't fold) trailer. Very very lightweight, made of all composite materials (it won't rot), and a similar floorplan to the Rockwood. Just not the prettiest trailer on the road...

There is fun in the hunt - maybe that's why so many of us keep at it even after we bought a trailer.

Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Also make sure you check out the NADA blue book values on the used units... many if not most of the trailers advertised seem at least 30% over "book" ... good article in this regard in the new issue of AS Life.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Also make sure you check out the NADA blue book values on the used units... many if not most of the trailers advertised seem at least 30% over "book" ... good article in this regard in the new issue of AS Life.
I read that too - the regular eBay column in Airstream Life spends a lot of column space on comparing sale prices to NADA.

But that author is wrong. I hate to admit that, because I'd like to buy an used Airstream for NADA values, but it certainly appears that most of them sell for quite a bit more than book value. I don't understand the disconnect, but trying to find, say, a 16' Bambi CCD for the NADA price will end in nothing but frustration.

Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
So true!! Ours was within the NADA range, and we drove halfway across the country in a weekend to get her, after BEGGING the seller to hold off two days. While we were there looking they got three calls from other interested parties, so I guess sales for "book" are a bargain. The real issue afterwards is that insurers will only cover up to book value unless you have gotten agreed value coverage.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OP , Kansas
Seems like the ones that are 25' and shorter are commanding a higher price in the marketplace. I watched a couple I was interested in on EBAY recently and they both went higher than I expected based on my <apparently unrealistic!> expectations. I bought my Eurovan Weekender on EBAY but it still had 2 years of factory warranty left and I purchased from a VW dealership rather than an indivdual. Seems like a real leap of faith to by a unit from an unknown party based soley on pictures and more so the higher the value. On a lower end unit, you know the worst case scenario is not that bad but on something like a late model where the PO conveniently forgot to mention something like a corrosion problem that they couldn't get rectified by Airstream, you've got a mess on your hands. Still looking here. If push comes to shove I'll just camp in my EV Weekender for another year or two. I can't go without my trout fishing and I'm not going to sleep in a tent. Too old and grumpy for that. Again, appreciate all the feedback.

Chuck Brown