Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
If you really want an Airstream, really, look and you will find one. Be patient we were and we found exactly what we wanted, love it! (4 years, Whew!)

Bill

Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown210 View Post
I'd love to have a '95ish Excella 25'.
LOL. I'd like to have one of those too - like that floorplan a lot. Watch though - they're rather heavy.

This link might be helpful - a list of trailer lengths and weights up to 2002.

Quote:
I'm going to checkout the TrailManor and StarCraft. Again, thanks for the info. In a way, the hunt is part of the fun.
Take a look at the Trailmanor Elkmont, their hard-sided "upright" (it doesn't fold) trailer. Very very lightweight, made of all composite materials (it won't rot), and a similar floorplan to the Rockwood. Just not the prettiest trailer on the road...

There is fun in the hunt - maybe that's why so many of us keep at it even after we bought a trailer.

Tom

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
Also make sure you check out the NADA blue book values on the used units... many if not most of the trailers advertised seem at least 30% over "book" ... good article in this regard in the new issue of AS Life.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Also make sure you check out the NADA blue book values on the used units... many if not most of the trailers advertised seem at least 30% over "book" ... good article in this regard in the new issue of AS Life.
I read that too - the regular eBay column in Airstream Life spends a lot of column space on comparing sale prices to NADA.

But that author is wrong. I hate to admit that, because I'd like to buy an used Airstream for NADA values, but it certainly appears that most of them sell for quite a bit more than book value. I don't understand the disconnect, but trying to find, say, a 16' Bambi CCD for the NADA price will end in nothing but frustration.

Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
So true!! Ours was within the NADA range, and we drove halfway across the country in a weekend to get her, after BEGGING the seller to hold off two days. While we were there looking they got three calls from other interested parties, so I guess sales for "book" are a bargain. The real issue afterwards is that insurers will only cover up to book value unless you have gotten agreed value coverage.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OP , Kansas
Seems like the ones that are 25' and shorter are commanding a higher price in the marketplace. I watched a couple I was interested in on EBAY recently and they both went higher than I expected based on my <apparently unrealistic!> expectations. I bought my Eurovan Weekender on EBAY but it still had 2 years of factory warranty left and I purchased from a VW dealership rather than an indivdual. Seems like a real leap of faith to by a unit from an unknown party based soley on pictures and more so the higher the value. On a lower end unit, you know the worst case scenario is not that bad but on something like a late model where the PO conveniently forgot to mention something like a corrosion problem that they couldn't get rectified by Airstream, you've got a mess on your hands. Still looking here. If push comes to shove I'll just camp in my EV Weekender for another year or two. I can't go without my trout fishing and I'm not going to sleep in a tent. Too old and grumpy for that. Again, appreciate all the feedback.

Chuck Brown
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chuck, go to the Portals page and look on the right a little ways down and you'll find inspectors willing to look at Airstreams for sale for you. I'd still want to look myself and sometimes the best ones go fast, but inspectors can be a real help.

I don't know what I'd do now knowing what I've learned, but I suspect I wouldn't buy new because of the QC issues. 2air recommended I look at '90's models—not as heavy and lots cheaper—back when I was trying to decide, but I decided I didn't want to be fixing up something I didn't know enough about. But with the cheapening of the brand, buying new seems silly because in two years after the warranty runs out, you'll be fixing things anyway.

But Airstreams look good and tow easily. Other companies have better floor plans and quality. Good luck—hard choices to make.

Gene
Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We currently camp in a 2008 24ft StarStream by Starcraft. We really enjoy it, and it has lots of storage for 2 people. That said, when the AS is renovated, we'll be selling the StarStream and moving on up. Our Airstream pulled like an absolute dream (and that was in poor condition with the original axles) compared to any other SOB we've ever owned. The StarStream pulls better than anything else too, but the AS is better. Since we like to travel, we'll stick with AS when we get her done.
So, if you wait a couple years, there'll be a used StarStream for sale........

Kay
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A lot of people have posted on various threads in the past year that they will not buy a new Airstream because of QC and corrosion issues. They say they will look for a used one in good condition and I expect some buy another brand with better quality control.

I don't know if Airstream mgt. gets this—by not making a big change in direction, they are compromising their reputation. Reputation ruined is very hard to get back, and reputation spreads across the planet very, very fast on the internet.

Gene
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I wouldn't buy new because I'm cheap and all RVs depreciate quite a bit initially. I'd rather have someone take that initial hit and work out the teething pains.

But I wonder: are the alternatives to a late-model AS that much better? I've been daydreaming about the "next trailer" from my Argosy 6.0 Minuet. Something with a fixed bed (which I wish we had) while keeping a dinette and front panaromic windows.

So when the time comes I could 1) buy a 5-year old 23FB or 25FB for $35k. I'd have possible filaform issues, so-so interior quality, etc. But it would have known resale.

Or I could 2) buy a older trailer and restore it. Thing is, most of the Argosy restorations I've seen wind up being $25k-$30k in parts plus a pile of time I don't want to spend. No matter what they say on the VAP, that money isn't likely to come back out when resale appears.

Meanwhile, there aren't many alternatives on the market that offer short (25' or less) high-content upscale trailers with a low profile and stylish styling (sorry, but we like an attractive trailer.) Maybe Earthbound will make a shorter trailer, but who knows. Plus there is the good side of the strong AS club and forum network...

Not saying there is an answer (and I apologize for the slight diversion). But I can see how AS still sells trailers, despite the growing murmurs of discontent...

Tom