Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Pro pride hitch questions

Our airstream will be outfitted with a pro pride hitch and have a few questions if anyone is familiar with it.

1. How much pressure are you supposed to put on the weight distribution bars?

2. A few videos I've seen show using a drill to raise and lower them. What size socket are they using?

3. Does the hitch install only one way (to the trailer) regardless of the tow vehicle? Meaning is it just the stinger adjustments that vary from Tow vehicle to tow vehicle?

4. Backup mirror helpful?

5. Any other tips?

Thanks everyone!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You need to spend the time reading this thread and look at the YouTube videos.
The unofficial pp users guide... - Page 72 - Airstream Forums
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The suggestion to read the Unofficial thread is a good one! It's a lot of reading but well worth it.

Quick thoughts on your questions.

1) really depends on your tow vehicle's recommendations about restoring weight to the front axle after adding the trailer. You can assume minimally you want to apply enough to return the front fender to original height but the most accurate method is determined at the scales (lots of threads on cat scales here as well).

2) it's the same as your stabilizers - I think a 15/16ths but I don't remember off hand

3) I'm not sure I understand your question. Sorry

4) yes, or camera. Helpful but not necessary.

5) read the unofficial user guide thread :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
3) Yes, the hitch installs on the trailer the same way no matter the tow vehicle. The only thing different might be the weight rating of the bars, the amount of pressure on the bars from the jacks, and the adjustment of the stinger, or draw bar.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
1. As mentioned it depends on weight you want to distribute. The beauty of the adjustment jacks is you can adjust it so very easily, according to load that day, or even a gas stop just to tune it a little using a tape ruler at the wheels wells.

2. It's 3/4". Use the provided wrench, your stabilizer speed handle, or a drill. Or a combination. I use drill or stabilizer wrench to take up the slack until tight, and the wrench to snug it in.

3. Possibly. I just eyeball it. The really important thing is to align the stinger straight into the box (don't even attempt a an angle to the head box), get real close and set the height with tongue jack so the stinger is a maybe an 1/8" high, set the box at the saker tilt as the stinger with one or the other jack adjustment, and back in.

4. Maybe, never needed it.

5. Read the thread referenced by Isbrodsky. Again, hitching is about alignment. Unhitching is easy if you measure and write down your unhitched truck front wheel well height, and use the tongue jack to match that measurement again before trying to drive out of the hitch.

You'll develop you own procedures with use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote