Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Porta-Bote - anyone tried one?

I have a 10' Porta Bote and a 5 hp Tohatsu gas engine. I wonder if anyone has attached their Porta Bote to their Air Stream and how? I have a 2008 Special Edition Safari 23FB. And if so, where do you store the outboard?

Thus far, I have been able to transport the Porta Bote in the back of my 2007 Ford F150 King Ranch. It fits fine fully put together, even with the tonneau cover down, but not so good because I cannot turn safely with the trailer attached. Thus, I do not take it when I use the trailer.

Mert

Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We had a guy in our unit that mounted the flat boat on the road side of his motor home. It sis not look that nice but it served him well for many years. I have a Yakama rack mounted on the top of my cap for my full length box and put my kayaks or canoes up there. They are out of the way and I usually do not try to take them off when the trailer is attached to the truck. Yakama does offer a set of extension bars which will allow you to extend them to the curb side of the truck and then slide the boat over there and then backwards off the rack without interferring with the trailer.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hi Mert, I recognize you from PB forum. We carry our PB on top of our truck with Thule racks...very easy actualy.
I slide the boat into the bed, climb in the bed, then push it up onto the roof racks. Very easy and our boat is much heavier-14'!
When loaded up we have bike rack on a front hitch, 2 kayaks and a PB on top, 8hp merc in the bed...you get the idea...it all fits!

I'll see if I can find a pic.

Oh yeah-welcome to AS Forum!

Edit; Mert, look at this post for some ideas/pics
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...e-36096-2.html

Bill
Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I haqve a 2500 hd with a shell. I carry the pb either inside the AS (30 ft) or put on top of the shell with the seats in the truck. I have the mounting brackets for the PB if you are interested 1/2 price plus shipping. Couldn't find a good location without covering up the h2o or the furnace or h20 heater. Oh, my 6 hp goes in teh back of the truck. I have seen people modify a bumper mounted bike rack on the front of the tv and carry the ob there.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

My biggest problem is that I don't have a shell but a tonneau cover. And I cannot afford to purchase a shell just to tote around the Porta Bote. Perhaps, I could go the dealer that installed the tonneau and see if they could do some type of modification so that it would fit level on top of the crewcab and tonneau cover.

I do have a backup system. It is a small Avon inflatable but it is over ten years old and only can use an electric motor. Dangerous if you get caught out in the wind or if you don't carry and extra battery to get you back. The Porta Bote is the greatest.

Mert
Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
I would not attach anything to the outside of my Airstream. if it was SOB...ok, but drilling through the skin, and attaching to the frame is asking for trouble.

I am sure you could do it...it is technically possible.

Porta-Bote's are awesome though. We have camped with folks that had them, and they are sturdy functional boats. We hava a canoe that we carry on top of our Durango.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
rack

Look at the ladder rack that contractors use. You could devise something similar with wood or pipe; but the cost would likely be tha same if the rack was purchased.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Mert, you are over-thinking this. Buy 2 Thule bars and mounts and put it on your roof.
You can find thule/yakima stuff on craigs cheap...

Bill
Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Bill Tex:

You are right, I am overthinking this. Will go to Dick's Sporting Goods and and get a price. Have seen this product on their shelves but never really looked into it. Mert
Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Check out eide boat loader | We Put Fun Back In Fishing. for an interesting loading idea for TVs.

I am going to build a rack for my pickup for my 13' sailboat. I'll post some pics when I get her done.