Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Please help me understand what these numbers mean

Hi Everyone,

I have to admit that I am the worlds biggest novice at this, and I need some help figuring out what the following numbers mean:

I am about to purchase a 25' International CCD. The Airsteream price sheet shows that this model is 6,300 Lb. GVWR and has a 6,000 Lb. axle system. At the bottom of their sheet, it says that the factory weight without options is 5,270 Lb. and the additional allowable weight is 596 Lb.

Here is where I am lost. What is the difference between the 6,300 Lb GVWR number and the 5,866 factory weight option? What is also the purpose of the 6,000 Lb. axle system weight? What is the number that I should use to figure out if my truck is capable of pulling the trailer?

Thanks again,

Josh
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:52 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Josh,

I too had the exact same questions as it seemed kind of off to me too. The only real numbers you need to worry about is the GVWR, which in this case is 6,300lbs and the hitch weight of 750lbs. The fact that it's a 6000lb axle system means that the axles are rated to hold 6000lbs total (maybe 3k each). The rest will be sitting on the tow vehicle. So you need to pay attention the 6300/750 numbers and make sure your tow vehicle can take on both. Mostly though the hitch weight is only a real concern if the hitch can take the weight, but you never know, there are some folks out there using Intrepids to tow HUGE Airstreams!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
6300# is the maximum amount the trailer can weigh, no ifs, ands, or buts.

6000# is what the axles can carry, no ifs, ands or buts.
Keep in mind that 10 to 15% of your gross trailer weight (6300#)will be on the hitch, and the other 85-90% will be on the axles.

Those other numbers can vary, depending on options. I would go with a vehicle that has at least a 7000-7500 pound trailering capacity for this particular trailer. Make sure it can handle up to 1000# of trailer toungue weight.

The best thing to do is scale the trailer with full water, propane, to see what it ACTUALLY weighs. Then you know how much additional "stuff" you can put in.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:55 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Use 6300# to figure out whether your truck can pull it. It is best to have 20% to 25% excess capability in the truck to give satisfactory towing performance (mountains, etc).

The 6000# axle weight is not a real important figure at this point.

As to the arithmetic, I can only say that Airstream must have a broken calculator somewhere because over the last 2 years I have seen a number of calculations that don't add up (including my own trailer). I think that they juggle the numbers and tend to mis updating some of them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Axle weight

I agree the important issue is GVWR. To do the math, if you're interested, you can also deduct the weight of the axle, brakes, wheels and tires (and half the weight of the springs, shocks and hardware) from the GVWR to determine the axle load. So don't worry about the rating of the axle, by the time you subtract the hitch weight (600-750#) and all the unsprung axle weight (about 300#?), you are well below the allowable carrying capacity of the axle.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for all of the great information. If 6,300 is the number that I should go off of, I belive that my truck will be capable of towing this trailer.

I have a 2003 GMC 1500HD which is capable of towing 7,700 lbs.

If I add 20% to 6,300, I come up with 7,560. If I deduct, 20% from 7,700 I come up with 6,160.

What do you all think?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No problem

You have plenty of towing capacity with that truck. My 5.3 Z71 took my trailer over Raton Pass with no problem at all. The 6.0 in the HD is tuned for a lot more torque than my 5.3.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that I should be more than OK pulling the 25' CCD.

Josh
Old 09-30-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
josh

you'll do just fine, my '00 2500 silverado is the equivilent of your 1500HD.

i tow a 29 foot excella that has a 6900 lb gvw.

you might end up wondering why everyone else is going so slow!

john
Old 09-30-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I too have a new 25' International, and I pulled it to the NC mountains last week with a 2003 Chev 1500. The steep grades of 8% caused the truck to downshift and rev a bit, but those were steep grades. Otherwise I was able to run 65 to 70 MPH easy. BTW, which model did you buy?
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:33 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2004 25' International CCD.

I believe when you asked what model I had, that's what you were referring too.

In terms of a tow vehicle, I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD.

I was glad to hear that your trip was successful.

Josh
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Yes Josh, that was my question. I saw you had written that in your first message, but I had not read it properly.

Your truck is an HD, so you should do even better than I did.

I am 35, and this is my second travel trailer, first Airstream.

I hope to be able to use this one more than I was able to use my first one, but I can assure you that any time spent in the CCD model will be awesome.

Do you know when you are getting yours or where you will go first? Fell free to share.

FYI, We went to the Atlanta RV show last weekend just to see all of the other trailers out there, and nothing came close to making me regret the decision to move up to an Airstream. There simply is no comparison, especially with the CCD models.

Andy
Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

I am currently in China on business and will be back towards the middle of the month. As soon as I return, I will be signing the contract. The dealer has told me that I can expect to see the unit in December or January.

Because I have been in China for so long, I will not have a lot of time to go on a trip immediately. After I pick up the unit, I will probably do a quick run to Las Vegas because I have clients there. From what I have heard, Circus Circus has a decent RV park.

I am glad to hear that you were very impressed with the CCD. I am definitely looking forward to getting it. The one thing I may do is customize it a bit. I am in the furniture business and we specifically manufacture wood veneer products.

I will of course have to wait until taking possession of the unit, but I was thinking about removing some of the panels and putting a sharp looking veneer over them. Of course, this may look totally goofy along with the CCD interior so I will just have to wait and see.

What do you think, could the CCD use some dark, rich woods in the right places?

Josh
Old 10-02-2003, 04:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Wow, you really get around!

I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA and besides one 3 week vacation covering Italy, Austria, and Amsterdam, and one to Costa Rica, I have never left the South Eastern US.

One of my goals is to travel the mid west, etc. to see more of our country.

As to wood in the CCD, unless yours is different, I can't picture it working. Everything is either black, white, or a solid flat color. Mine has blue cushions and white over-head cabinets with orange inside.

The only wood look is the floor. The main attraction for us was the fact that the trailer didn't have all of the wood and usual upholstery that you see in other trailers.

So far, the main thing I have added is colorful throws and throw pillows to play on the bright color scheme. I added some purple, orange, and yellow.

I had at least 6 people come to see the trailer while on the first trip. One couple had an Airstream, and promptley told me that I had to join a club.

You had better get used to it. These things get the attention they deserve.

Andy
Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

Unfortunately, I travel a bit more than I'd like to admit.

I think you are definitely right that the dark woods will not work in the trailer. I was just thinking that a deep dark highly polished wood in various places might make certain things stand out. I have seen the woods used in other Airstreams and to be honest with you, I was NOT a fan. The type of dark woods that I am talking about would most likely seen in a classic steak house or martini bar. I'm sure you know the look I am talking about. Nonetheless, the bottom line is that you are right and it just wouldn't look right. Colorful pillows and some other accessories are the way to go.

Regarding the interior color, I am going with Hazard Orange. For some reason, it just grabs me and I figured why not. Let me ask you this. What color are the seats on the sofa? From everything I have seen, they look gray. Can I assume that the couch seats do not match the dinette seats? One more question, how would you rate the mattress that comes with the unit? I prefer a softer mattress and this is one of things that I have been a little worried about. I know that I can always purchase a variety of beddings to make it softer, but I wanted to get your opinion.

Regarding attention, I always seem to somehow gravitate away from the norm. One of my toys is a 2001 Plymouth Prowler with 900 miles. It's such a fun car to drive, but the problem is, everywhere I go, someone wants to ask a question. I don't mind, but I always know when I take it out, that I will be out longer than expected because I will be having a few conversations :-)

I hope that all is well.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
I have got figure out how to put pictures on this site. Last time I tried, the site said it was too large. I will work on it.

My sofa has light gray on the bottom and black for the back cushiond. The table has blue cushions which are a one-piece construction. They snap in place.

I think you might find the mattress a bit firm based on what you wrote, but I like it. I did add a cover, but boy is it a tricky bed to make up in that corner. You have to be a bit creative. I'm not sure you can do it and look graceful at the same time.

Andy
Old 10-02-2003, 06:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Okay Josh,

I think I figured it out. Go to my profile, and then my photo gallery. You should see one picture of the truck I use, and one of the interior's front section.

Hope it works. It really is hard to describe the true beauty of one of these units.

Enjoy,

Andy
Old 10-02-2003, 07:09 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

The unit looks great. I am really looking forward to getting mine. Thanks again for all or your help.

Josh
Old 10-02-2003, 07:24 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Your welcome.

This forum seems to be great for getting info.

I know you will love yours to.

Andy