Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
Texas Cajun :-)

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Talking Please help ID 1950ish Airstream

Hi! I've checked the photo archives, looked at many threads on this forum and could still use some help to ID this Airstream. It does not have the plate by the door. I think it looks like a mid '50's Flying Cloud. I had a '57 T-20 Avion with exactly the same front window configuration. Sadly this one has an AC unit in the rear window. A little 'spit and polish' will go a long way with this one. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. She's going to be my winter project :-) "aluminum addiction" strikes again! ha, ha. THANKS!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Looks like a 26 footer to me - either Overlander or Romany

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #3

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Looks like a 26 footer to me - either Overlander or Romany

Ken
Hey Ken...why do you think 26'? I thought it looked long too. My Avion didn't seem that long and it was a 20'. I am going Thursday to possibly purchase. One of the few in my meager price range. Any other ideas? What's a "Romany"? Never heard of that one. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
54 still had the slot style tail lights.
58 all were mostly 7 panel ends and most dual axle.
No whale tail (California thing).
So it has to be a 55-57 Ohio built Cruiser/overlander.

I'm leaning towards 55 because it doesn't have the real small window on the street side in the center bath like most of the earlier models. Its a rear twin center bath judging by the window placement. The windows are a double stack and most 56's were a single. 56 looks to be the year where the rear bath center twin was becoming more common.

Like Ken said "it might be a Romany." According to Vintage Airstream there was only 10 made and only in 55. It could very well be one with the extra windows the way they are.

Well after re reading the description of the Romany I do not think it is. It sounds like that was a model more set up for boon docking and other then the Reefer stack there is no indication of a LP water heater. No indication of 12v systems. 50's most coaches with 12v system had battery boxes under the front windows. I would think the Romany would have that and not electric water heater unless my interpretation of this statement is wrong.

Quote:
he Romany name used on a few loaded trailers is a term used to describe Gypsy's - and was probably an Ohio marketing ploy to appeal to the romance and adventure of traveling".
"Loaded" to me seems like set up for Bood docking and lack of LP water heater door seems to counter that.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:10 AM   #5

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Hey 59toaster THANKS for the great input. One more question I forgot to ask...what kind of brakes would this thing have? If it needs new brakes and bearings repacked any idea of a fair price range for that kind of work? I've seen some recent posts where the brakes alone were around $200. Any advice greatly appreciated. It's been a while since we've owned a 'working' Airstream. Sort of forgot what the routine is with these beauties. Also any idea what this one might weight? Checked the weight chart but no'55's listed. Closest thing could be between 2950 & 3450 lbs. My tow limit is Class 2 3500lbs. Thanks again!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roze
Hi! I've checked the photo archives, looked at many threads on this forum and could still use some help to ID this Airstream.
Could it be a 1953 Cruiser (25-26 ft long)? It kind of looks like mine. The original rear lights on these are so small (read-unsafe), yours could have been replaced over the years. The sink looks like a modern replacement also.

Here is a picture of mine:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...cat/500/page/1

Good luck with your project.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roze
Hey Ken...why do you think 26'? I thought it looked long too. My Avion didn't seem that long and it was a 20'. I am going Thursday to possibly purchase. One of the few in my meager price range. Any other ideas? What's a "Romany"? Never heard of that one. Thanks!
Roze: Next time you visit this trailer, write down it's serial number from the small plate by the door. Post it here on the Forum and we can identify the trailer more precisely by its serial number.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #8

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Hi Fred and others. Thanks for the quick responses. The problem about the serial number... there is no plate by the door. Are there any other locations where the serial number might be written? Think the current owner is not an avid "Airstreamer". Seems to be a nice, hard working fella who is unloading this one to get a bigger he can take on job sites. Couldn't tell me much about it but very willing to try. I'm hoping to speak with him tonight. Will try to get more info then. Y'all are great! Please keep the comments coming. Hey dmreilly... yes it does look like yours on that side. Any other photos you could post for comparison? Peace, R
Old 09-29-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hi Roze. Congrats on your new baby. When I first saw your pics, I thought sure you had bought the old abandoned Cruiser I mentioned on THIS thread.
But no, I passed by it again 2 days ago and it's still sitting there looking all forlorn. They look almost like long lost twins. You should come up here and buy this one so you can have His and Hers trailers.
The serial number is stamped on top of either member of the tongue rail. You'll probably have to do some scraping and cleaning to find it.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #10

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Hey thanks Rog! Your 'find' sure does look exactly the same of curbside doesn't it? Same rear window thingy. If I could travel easier I'd be up there to check out the lost in the woods AS. But as of 2.5 years ago I have a new 'boss'. Her name is Dakota and she's the bees knees but VERY demanding :-) Hubby and I just love her to pieces yet somehow we can't find much time for just flying off to somewhere type road trips. FYI... I thought for SURE I would be buying this one tomorrow. Now there may be an issue of length. Could be it's too long. The owner is dealing with a family illness right now though so had to cancel the viewing tomorrow. Oh well.... will keep ya posted. God Bless!

Tags