Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
@irstream

2006 22' International CCD
park city , Utah
Picking up first trailer this month what do i look for during the final walk-through?

I am going to pick up a 22' CCD international this month, my first RV of any type and I was wondering what to look for when they do the final walk through before delivery.
Also was wondering what you would suggest as far as equipment I will be needing (i.e. power cables, hoses wheel chocks ect.).
Also I will be pulling it with a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1 ton with the Cumings motor and was wondering if there was a need for a equalizer with this combo. I am ordering a Hensley brake controller and was wondering if that is the way to go as well.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
@irstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

I think there may be a new trailer acceptance checklist you could find by searching for delivery and dealer and checklist and inspection...

Some of the best advice is to plan to spend the night at the dealer and test stuff they could fix in the morning if it doesn't work.. There are stories of leaky showers, crimped wires for TV/Audio, inop outlets and stuck fans, etc that are much easier to deal with at the selling dealer than from home...

The basic items you want to check should include each of the primary systems:

1. Plumbing - Shower and sink faucets and drains and leaks and hot/cold water and water pump
2. Heating - Furnace thermostat and propane supply and heater in A/C if equipped
3. A/C & Fans - Ability to operate and blow cold/cool air and open and close vents, plus bathroom vent and stove hood vent
4. Electrical - Charging and battery and lights and outlets all around
5. Cooking - Stove and microwave
6. Refrigerator - Cold on 110V AC power and on propopane, and ability to switch back and forth in Auto mode...
7. TV Antenna and connections and radio/music including antenna
8. Wheels and tires and brake operation
9. Windows and screens including opening and closing for leak tightnenss
10. It might not be possible to check sewer hoses and valves and water tank indicators and fillers, but that would be good idea as well..
You should add whatever interior cosmetic details match your expectations, as often loose or missing rivets, mis-aligned blinds or mismatched doors might be found...

If all these are good, it is probably worth pulling home...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
@irstream

park city , Utah
thanks for the info! also would live opinion on 2 6v batteries vs. 12 v

Thanks for that great list of stuff to look for. I will print and bring with me!
I was also wondering what your opinion on batteries are. I had negotiated to have them swap the single 12 v for a pair of 6v. golf cart batteries in series. I have been told they will hold a longer charge and last longer.
Does anyone have any experience with this setup or was i better off with the 12v single it came with?
again, thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up 6 volt in series

Good choice - these will give a lot more capacity and are very receptive to solar.

The equalizer hitch is a smart choice - improves control and ride - weight distribution is important. Get one that has variable ball height.

Great TV - go anywhere, any time, any weather
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi @irstream, and welcome to the forums

enjoy that new trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @irstream
I was also wondering what your opinion on batteries are. I had negotiated to have them swap the single 12 v for a pair of 6v. golf cart batteries in series.... was i better off with the 12v single it came with?...again, thanks!
you would be 'better off' with 2- 12v batteries (agms) in parallel....

more options for mounting and EXACTLY the same amp/hour capacity as 2x6s...

also the added mass of 2 golf cart batteries will affect tongue weight significantly.

IF one 6v dies you are screwed. also the factory charge unit is an issue....

lots of battery threads here so read 'em....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Also see if your dealer can offer you a hookup site at the dealership itself. You can shake out a lot of issues from that first overnight. We didn't pay for the trailer until we spent the first night, and any issues were fixed right then and there. It beats bringing it back. Use the shower and all the fixtures. You will catch any leaks at that time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Forum member Road King Moe did a thread about outfitting a new trailer. It's 3 or 4 years old now but it's still timely. I don't have the link to it but maybe someone else does.

Congratulations and good luck with your new toy.

I found the thread!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Wow, a new 22' Airstream buyer. What a nice purchase, this is akin to buying a new home. I wish could make the same purchase.

But, I love my old Airstream, even though it has a thousand things that needds to be fixed, ..if I were buying new AS trailer...I would say your Dodge 1 ton tow vehicle is a top choice and it should give you many years of service. An under powered tow vehicle is a strain on everyone, you, your wife, the people behind you, and everyone you encounter. With a 1 ton tow vehicle, your in great shape for years to come, you can tow a mountian grade at 70 that rig.

When you buy your AS Travel Trailer, if you can, pay for your travel trailer purchase with a credit card.

It will give you leverage in any disputes of sub-standard equipment / workmanship / performance that may araise.

If you pay in cash or by check, they have your money immediately, and they maybe less inclined to listen to your complaints about things not working properly.

When you receive your trailer, it maybe a good idea to camp near the factory for a few days to check out your trailer.

If you find a problem, it is just a short drive to the factory with factory trained experts to fix the problem. There is nothing like a "mom's look", when she has spent thousands of dollars on her dream trailer, then she looks at a service tech, and wants to know why her trailer does not work right, to get things fixed.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
@irstream

park city , Utah
thanks for all the great feedback

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am really looking foreward to picking up my trailer. I live 15 miles from the dearler here so I will hopefully be able to find any problems quick and get it back down there for fixes. I already did my own walk through the day I decided to purchace it, and found some trim (cosmetic) issues and a problem with the fridge latch not keeping the door closed! I made a small list of the items I found (i'm kind of picky) which are being repaired before delivery, and I have talked to a few people that have purchaced through the same dealer and they are supposed to be really receptive to warranty claims so hopefully anything I fail to catch right away can be corrected easy! I looked at alot of trailers and even though they are a bit more expensive, I really feel confortable with my Airstream purchace, and one reason I really liked the Airstream is also because of the great Airstream cominuty out there, good product attracts good people I guess! I also know it will last forever!
Thanks for all your advice, I am sure I will have a ton more questions to post in the future so thanks for being patient in advance for all my newbie questions!