Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Phoenix , Arizona
"Phoenix" (forum member) could use your help...

My dad, who goes by "Phoenix" on this forum since 2004 (*rivet-master with 2400+ posts) has a terminal illness and is likely facing his last birthday on August 24.

Can you find it in your heart to send him a quick birthday card?

The Backstory;
Over the years, my mom & dad have enjoyed immensely the friends they've made on this forum, in fact their last Airstream trip (in their 2005- 19ft Bambi / Safari) at this time last year went across the AlCan Highway, up through Alaska to Denali, and then home, with my dad being diagnosed the day after they returned.

Here's a picture of their tow rig which they've shared on the forums;

This message comes at a difficult time for my family, and I know that my dad's connection to this community of enthusiasts gave him an amazing resource of assistance and information, which he worked hard to reciprocate over the years. Phoenix is probably best known for his 2015 thread on "Tire Failure Poll"which has over ~28k views and speaks to his engineering background and willingness to help others to prevent roadside problems. His technical nature comes through in the posts I've perused, and if you knew my dad (*which many of you do...), you'd know he is soft-spoken and low-key, having led a quiet and private retirement. In fact, the purchase of their Airstream was to fulfill my parents dreams to explore North America in their retirement.

Which is also why I think a slew of post cards and birthday wishes would really cheer up my dad and mom at a time when they really need it most.

I registered today to give thanks to the members of this community who brought so much entertainment and knowledge to my parents to help them live out their dreams. If this breaks a board policy, or is deemed by the community to be inappropriate at all, reply here and I'll gladly remove the post.

If you can take a few minutes to send a quick postcard or birthday card, I know it would really raise their spirits;

Skip & Kathy Wong
4441 W. Poinsettia Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85304-3505

In closing, my dad and I talked about these forums over the years and his engagement about the trips shared, projects undertaken and problems solved by the members here were a constant source of pride and excitement in his life.

I want to thank each of you who've read this far, and will check back intermittently on this thread. For privacy reasons - and to respect my dad's wishes - I won't go into too much detail, and appreciate your sharing of this with people on the forum who may know my dad. (I'll also remove the mailing address after his birthday for security purposes.)

Thank you all, and God bless you.

LongDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Roger and Wilco!

SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Iím so sorry to hear that your dad Phoenix isnít doing well. What a lovely thing youíre doing for him. It will be an honor to send a card for his birthday. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

May we know your name? Itís ok if you donít want to share that - I just wanted to know....

PS - about your security concern, I think the vast majority of forum members are decent, trustworthy folks. Maybe one way to do something like this without sharing an address would be to open a PO Box at the local Post Office and collect all the cards there. Still - itís a lovely gesture - Iíll be sending a card along with my prayers. Best to you and your mom and dad.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Mailed today
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #5

Phoenix , Arizona
My name is Thomas,

Thank you so much for showing your support for my dad's contribution here over the years. I've gotten a few PMs and hope this is enough visibility to create a flow of cards to my dad leading up to his birthday on Aug24. I sure hope so,
Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
I will be mailing out the card tomorrow. I think that was a wonderful idea, and I hope the cards lift his spirits. Your Airstream friends, Ron and Brenda.
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #7

Phoenix , Arizona
Cards are starting to come in!

Thank you to each of you who've sent a card for my dad. It is REALLY appreciated,
Old 08-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Card sent today. We're all wishing them the best.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Forgot to attach my pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_114737~2.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	350095