Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs down Petro no longer sells to the public!

I stopped at the Petro truck stop on I-285 in Atlanta on my way home this afternoon and the security guard refused to let me into the back area where the pumps are. She said as of 1/1/06 Petro no longer sold to non-commercial vehicles. She showed me a three page memo that had a one sentence paragraph on the last page that said no four wheeled vehicles except those driven by CDL drivers or operated by a certain company would be permitted into the pump area. Is that legal?

I guess I'll have to find a new place to buy diesel fuel when traveling!
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Can you still buy diesel at the front stations? I could not find anything on their website about a change.

Flying J's, Travel America's, Thorntons, Speedways, Pilots and many many more all sell diesel to both commercial and consumer patrons all day long. I'd bet they would be happy to have your business.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Can you still buy diesel at the front stations? I could not find anything on their website about a change.
This particular Petro doesn't have a front station. It only has a restaurant in the front. All of the pumps are behind the restaurant inside the chain linked fence. If there were other pumps, they aren't readily visible from the street. There is a sign that indicates the entrance for cars, but the time I tried that entrance it led to the restaurant parking lot and a parking lot behind the restaurant that I presume is for employees.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
just slap a magnetic sign that says something like bob's plumbing or minne's moving on the door and tell them to let you in!

john
Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just spoke to them, and they said the reason for this change was:
1- They don't offer gasoline.
2- Their pumps all have the large truck nozzles that won't fit in diesel car and light truck fuel filler necks.
They have also had a couple of problems with persons in cars darting around and behind moving trucks, and there was concern someone would get hurt.
This only affects the truck stop you visited.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I just spoke to them, and they said the reason for this change was:
1- They don't offer gasoline.
2- Their pumps all have the large truck nozzles that won't fit in diesel car and light truck fuel filler necks.
They have also had a couple of problems with persons in cars darting around and behind moving trucks, and there was concern someone would get hurt.
This only affects the truck stop you visited.
The #2 statement is untrue..On my Suburban, which is diesel, the very same nozzle fits both the bigger trucks as well as on mine..Throw that dealership out..lol
At least if it's just this one..then it's no big loss..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Big nozzles fit my Ford F350 too

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
While I realize you are upset about this new policy at this particular Petro.... the first thing that popped to mind was a very uncharitable and flip comment.... Get your CDL!!
There is a reason it is called a TRUCK stop, and Flying J's are called Travel Centers. FJ's are clearly after a market segment the others don't care about.
Let's look at it from the other side for a moment.... many drivers of four wheelers (even if those 4 wheelers sometimes have up to ten wheels!) have no concept of courtesy, or how to act around big trucks. They have no idea where a semi's blind spots are, no idea about turning radius or stopping distances or many other things about trucks. If they are towing something, many don't know how best to handle their own vehicle, much less make allowances for others! Bluntly, they are rude and in the main, unskilled, and in the way! I doubt any Airstream owners are guilty of this sort of thing ... its always those SOB's! They spoil it for everyone!
A truckstop caters to commericial drivers by providing a safe, hassle-free place, decent food, and FAST service!
Now, to be fair, not all drivers shun four wheelers for those reasons, at least, not all the time! VBG!!
Another reason non eighteen wheelers are banned from areas of some truck stops is hookers! They do not want hookers crusing the lot looking for action, disturbing drivers trying to rest or whatever. I've seen hookers go so far as to subourn a driver and 'borow' his tractor by providing free full services to him, to be able to access the back, secured lot! Saw it, reported it, then notified the leasing company the truck belonged to! Can you imagine getting my phone call; "Hello, this is Elizabeth Diestler, leased to Warren Transport out of Waterloo, Iowa. Do you make it a policy to rent your units to hookers? I thought I'd ask because of what I observed early this morning....." It was actually pretty funny! A very long, very funny story, too long for here.
I have got to say that Petros in the southeast are on my list of places to stop. From what we saw in November going to Charlotte and back, they have slid a long way!
I am sorry for your bad experience, but thank you for letting us all know what to (not) expect at that one!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
The #2 statement is untrue..On my Suburban, which is diesel, the very same nozzle fits both the bigger trucks as well as on mine..Throw that dealership out..lol
At least if it's just this one..then it's no big loss..
ciao
53FC
Ditto on my F-250. In fact, there is room to spare. As for #1, my truck is a diesel and I told the security guard that I was there to buy diesel.

This was only my second stop at a Petro. Or any other truck stop as far as that goes since I purchased my diesel F-250 in April. The first time was in November when I purchased a tank-full at this same Petro and got one of their Petro Passport cards. I happened to be in the area again today so I checked to see if they have a front station and they don't.

I have a great respect for the truck drivers of our country and give them a wide berth on the highway and interstate. I purposely stay out of the right two lanes on the interstate so that I am not in their way on their gravity acceleration on the downside of hills and they aren't in mine on their gravity deceleration on the upside.

BTW Cedars. If you didn't pay close attention to my log-in name it is "Minnie's Mate" as in my WIFE is Minnie Mouse i.e. We are a Disney family and I am Mickey Mouse AKA Minnie's Mate on a Disney forum. And I assure you that the young female security guard didn't confuse this middle-aged salt-n-pepper (mostly salt) bearded man with a hooker.

And as far as being upset or it being a "bad experience" I'm not and it wasn't, I just took my business elsewhere and paid the same price for diesel at my local Chevron station as Petro was advertising on their interstate sign. In fact, the local BP, and Phillips 66 also had the same price as Petro advertised. So I would have been doing them more of a favor with my business than they would have by selling to me since these three stations, plus several others that generally have the same price as these three, are more convenient on a daily basis. I just happened to be near the Petro yesterday and today whereas I am normally not.

And as far as uncharitable and flip remarks or any patronizing remarks, we don't need those on this board, thank you.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
BTW Cedars. If you didn't pay close attention to my log-in name it is "Minnie's Mate" as in my WIFE is Minnie Mouse i.e. We are a Disney family and I am Mickey Mouse AKA Minnie's Mate on a Disney forum. And I assure you that the young female security guard didn't confuse this middle-aged salt-n-pepper (mostly salt) bearded man with a hooker.

And as far as uncharitable and flip remarks or any patronizing remarks, we don't need those on this board, thank you.
Ummm. Thought I had been non gender specific...
Having seen "Granny" hustling the girls, having seen men of all ages pimping the girls.... ummm, ya can't tell by looking sometimes. And you could have anything or anyone, or several of each, in the back of the mo-ho or TT!
These are things that don't occur to most people...
As for the flip or uncharitable remarks..... well goodness! Please define for me, at what point 'flip' becomes offensive to you.
I've been on both sides of the truckstop issue... both as a driver, and as an RV'er. As a driver and non-rv'er, I used to shudder when those things started moving around... I fondly remember one fall as the snowbirds were heading south, and we were running down the eastern seaboard..... one of our chief amusements was sitting in rest areas or truckstops and watching them try to manuever! We had great time critiqueing performances! Try is the operative word here! As an rv'er, we make sure we give clear signals of intent, give lots of room.... we talk the lingo, and are welcome at most places because the secret handshakes we give proclaim us as members of the fraternity.
Here's the difference, and the problem, between MOST rv'ers and professional drivers; most professional drivers put between 80 and a 100 THOUSAND miles a YEAR driving those rigs. MOST rv'ers don't put that many miles on thier rigs in a lifetime!
What's really funny are the reactions as we back into a tight slot at say, a rest area or 'travel center'...... Several times we've had a commercial driver come by and comment .... you've done that a time or two, haven't you? Or, Say, how long you been off the road?
I did not mean to patronize you, merely give you some food for thought about the change in polic. Frankly, I don't care if Petro never allows any kind of four wheeler in the back lot! My money spends best where its appreciated!

Elizabeth