Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you travel with pets?
yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Pet problems?

How many of you travel with pets? I've got a few years before I spend long periods travelling, so probably will have 1 or 2 less pets than we have now. We presently have a dog, parrot and 4 cats. I've seen mention of pets occasionally, but nothing specific. I haveen to campgrounds such as the state parks in CT where no pets are allowed in the camp section but are in the picnic area. Most private parks I've been to allow one pet per site. What is the general experience and view of folks out there? Do many of you have pets that travel with you?

The wife and I would both miss our kids if we had to leave them behind on the long trips.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It depends I think on the size of the camper in your case. For us, our dog is about 70lbs and works well in our 19' Bambi. Just back from the Midwest rally, I think there were almost half as many pets as people.

I think that if you plan to travel with a bunch of pets, that a bit larger unit might make it more enjoyable to all. Also make sure you have room in the car for your pets, I am not sure it's a good idea for them to ride in the trailer (if that is what you get) while in motion.

As for pet rules, they can vary widely per park. More times than not though, the rules are there to stop folks from running an animal farm at their campsite taking away from the enjoyment of others using the same campground. Being a responsible pet owner whereby not having the dog(s) barking, tearing through the campground and not picking up after them are some of the largest casues of issues since we've been camping as kids. Cats being somewhat self contained, as long as they are quiet as well as the bird(s), most folks could care less.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Cats don't travel well at all. I'd plan on finding somebody to watch for them. They would be miserable once out of their normal enviorment.

Dogs are no problem.

Parrot might be interesting LOL.

I have had a couple birds. The Conure we had went everywere with us. We hand fed him as a baby so was quite use to travel. We just kept him clipped so he couldn't fly and he sat of a towel on the seat back and floor and did fine. My Ex had very long and currly hair. Bird could not been seen unless you were looking for him or he poked his head out. He had a black head so blended in with the Ex's brown hair as long has he green body was covered up. He was a riot to take places. He was very well mannered and usualy very queit. He was a small bird so that did make it a lot easier. We have snuck him into a couple Steak and Ale's hehe.

If you have a big bird like Blue and Gold or African Grey it would not be as easy.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cats

Quote:
Cats don't travel well at all. I'd plan on finding somebody to watch for them. They would be miserable once out of their normal enviorment.
It depends on the individual cat. For instance, Manx are usually good travellers and are sometimes companions of truck drivers.

I have an American Bobtail that loves the trailer; she spent 49 nights camping with us so far. While in motion, she is on a leash on the backseat of the truck with just enough slack to sleep on the console between us. The reason for the leash is that she likes to ride on my left shoulder the way she did as a kitten and she is way too big for that now. When stopped, her usual place is on the bed or dressing table, looking out the wraparound windows.

The worst aspect is finding a place for the litter box (and, boy, can she stink up the place on occasion). I made a small litter box with aluminum throwaway pans and duct tape that takes up very little space.

On balance, though, we look forward to having her with us each trip.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pet problems?

I have traveled with one or two Chihuahuas for the last twenty plus years, and there aren't too many problems involved. Some campgrounds will park an RV with dogs in a section close to the pet run a convenience that can actually be beneficial. Several of the campgrounds that I stop at regularly have commented that they wouldn't know that I had two dogs in my trailer as the Chihuahuas are trained to use puppy pads so they are very rarely outside of the trailer - - and they very rarely bark. At the International Rally (unless parking with the VAC), you will find yourself parked in section D (otherwise referred to as doggie section) where all dog owners are parked.

One of the best things that I have learned about traveling with my Chihuahuas is to equip my coach with at least one Fantastic Vent Fan with the thermostatic control and rain sensor. The fan keeps the air moving in the trailer constantly and allows the Chihuahuas to be comfortable at all times when camped without sufficient power to run the air conditioner.

Something else that I have learned while traveling with my Chihuahuas is that it can be very helpful to have a copy of their health records from their regular veternarian - - including but not limited to their vaccination records.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:02 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have traveled with our dogs. Driving wise they are pretty much a joy. We cover the seats with some towels and they curl up and sleep most of the time. We do our normal pit stops, they get out walk and do their job, we carry water for them to drink.

The limiting factor you have to consider is that it does pretty much eliminate doing much when you are on the road. You really can't leave them in the tow vehicle so our sight seeing or eating out is limited to when we arrive at a campsite and the pets can safely stay in the trailer.

There is also a limitation on the amount of time you can spend away from the trailer. Day trips are limited to what we know is the bladder holding time for the muts.

We have never had a problem at any camp site in bringing the dogs and in most cases they have always traveled with us. We were considering doing one of the WBCCI caravans but canceled out when we found out that there were activities occuring where we would be pulled over in parking lots along the way. Again no way to deal with them in these situations and we don't want to leave them in the vehicle.

Overall we really don't consider them a liability and would much rather bring them than leave them in a kennel.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I don't imagine the dog will be a problem, she enjoys travelling in the van too much. She's small (a japanese chin) and doesn't bark, at least not loud. Just a little woof.

The cats. That may be another story. I'll have to start taking them out. They are strictly indoor cats and the only time they have left the house is for a trip to the vets in a carrier. One by one I'll have to test them and tehen make a run with everyone with us. I'll probably end up cleaning cat puke off the carpet!

The bird I think I'll leave with a grand daughter or my niece. That thing gets up early and makes way too much noise for a campground. Its always been our watchdog.

The health records would definatley come with us. God forbid somone getting bit or scratched, or on of the kids getting sick on us, we would want the records with us.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:59 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a great idea about bringing the health records.

I too could not see leaving Penny in a kennel while we are out and about.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We always bring proof of immunization with us even though the dog carries a St. Louis County Rabies tag on his collar.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Talking

I'm all for taking pets on trips whenever possible. One big reason I bought a trailer is so that I could take my dogs with me. The cats stay home. If one ever accidently got away from me on a trip, I doubt if I would see it again.

So remember everyone, take 'em if you can, but if you can't, call your local pet sitter!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Keeping them cool

I always worry a bit about the campground power going off in hot weather. For insurance, I run the AC, but set the 2 Fantastic Fans to come on if the interior of the trailer gets too hot. One fan is set to blow in and the other to blow out so that there will be air movement through the trailer even with the windows closed and latched. I know I have many hours of ventilation for the cat.

I also use the two Fantastic Fans during short meal stops except in the hottest weather
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We've traveled with our two Labradors and our Basset Hound quite comfortably in our '31 Sovereign, though we do board one or two when we take our smaller Tradewind. We do use a crate for the one younger Labrador (I'd have a fit if she chewed on anything in the trailer!), and the crate is quite useful during the times we sit outside under the awning. We can confine her comfortably that way.

We make a point of leaving the air conditioning and either a TV or radio on when we leave the trailer and try to be gone from the trailer no more than 4 or 5 hours at a time. Fortunately our dogs are all crate-trained and used to being home alone during the day, so barking is rarely a problem.

Most campgrounds we've been to allow two pets per site; occasionally we pay a fee of usually $1/night per extra pet. We are very diligent about cleaning up after them and try to walk them only in areas where there are no camp sites.

We do make sure they have plenty of water while we're traveling down the road and use the "cooling" neck wraps that swell and become cold in water. We tie them loosely around their necks much as a groomer ties a bandana on a dog after grooming; they seem to work really well.

On a side note, the dogs love the '71 over our '64 because of the lower windows around the couch. They love looking out those windows!
Midamrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We travel with our cat "Lily"...without any troubles. She is a 100% indoor cat, but we have trained her that it's "okay" to go outside with her collar & leash on, as long as she is with us. To keep her used to travelling during the "off camping" times, we take her with us to work. We're self-employed and office in a small building that allows pets. When we started this last year, we allowed her to get used to the trailer while it's at home long before a real trip.

When we travel she's in the truck with us and usually sleeps between us on the console or on the passengers lap. When we stop for lunch or any extended time beyond just getting gas, we open up the trailer and let her in to have a snack and to use the litter box. We always open up the windows so there is plenty of airflow and she can see out.

She has been on every trip we have...

BTW, I also have two parrots (African Grey & Grey Cheeked Pocket Parrot) I wouldn't travel with either of them in our small trailer...they are too "talkative" and it's too confined for them AND Lily, she is after all a cat!

I know folks that DO travel with birds though...just not a bird & cat, that's asking for trouble. Also, exotic birds are pretty sensitive to drafts & sudden temperature changes...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

What a sweet face Lily has! Is she a Bengal?
Not too many of them around.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Inside Out, I just looked at Lily's web site. It's definatley the 9's. Liliy is a really neat cat. Niether my wife or I heard of an Egyptian Maus, but what a neat looking cat. We have 4 himalayans. Our oldest is the mother of the other 3. Lady Jasmine Silk n Lace (Jasmine) is the mother of our other three. She is a tortie point.

Then we have the three kids, born on the 4th of July. There is Mister Yankee Doodle Dandy (Dandy) who is the male and a flame point. When he was born, my wife's first husband took off his O2 tube because he was still born and brought him to life. He was on O2 because of lung cancer. He is no longer with us.

Next is Miss Independance(Indy for short). She is a seal point. She is the one who comes to bed to say goodnight and jumps on the bed when the alarm goes off to say goodmorning. Boy, can she purr.

The last of the cats is Sparkles of Magic (Sparky). She gets mean if you try to put her on her back. She wants all fours on the ground. She is a Tortoise shell.

Then we have Keiko Cheiko, our Japanese Chin. She is named after a japanese bar maid I once knew.

The bird won't be going with us, so he has become a non issue. I'll have to get some pictures up somehow so you can see all our kids(cats and dog).
Old 06-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks guys...we think she's pretty special too! To find out more about Egyptian Maus check out the CFA website.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I already showed MaryLou Lily's site. She got a big kick out of the pictures, especially those of the litter. We were able to figure out which one was Lily.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy

D'oh!
I was so busy looking at Lily's pictures I didn't see the link to her own web site at the bottom of the page!

I knew she wasn't a run of the mill cat when I saw her. That is a pretty rare breed. beautiful too.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Talking Funny you should mention it...

Just last weekend we traveled with our two Jack Russell Terriers to an annual JRT event we call Jackapalooza. We have folks from all over the world, and most everyone brings their terriers. We have races, games and silly events for the dogs and the owners as well.

The managers of the campgrounds loved our dogs so much, they actually bought two puppies from one of our members! And they're literally begging us to come back again next year! If you don't believe me, just ask Pick!

We find that most parks don't mind dogs at all, as long as you don't let them bark at night, and you pick up after them. Lucy and Gizmo love camping in the Bambi.

Cherie

Here's a picture of our two finishing a race in St. Louis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muzzles.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2184  
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
With our trailer sitting in the driveway the last 8-9 months, we took the cats out there a lot when we'd spend evenings out there. The male cat loves the trailer and doesn't want to come in, while the female whines to go out there, then whines to go back in the house, etc, etc, etc. Can't make up her mind. LOL! Both are declawed up front and are inside cats only, but the male would be an outdoor cat if he had the chance. We have to keep an eye on him around doors.

We took them to our first rally a few weeks ago. This was the first time they'd been in the trailer moving. Opening the front wrap-around curtains generally keeps them up on the couch looking out or laying down there when they get tired.

They were pretty shook up from the ride (all of about 8 miles) to Xenia, and kept us up all night the first night. In turn, my wife wouldn't let them sleep during the next day, and they had no problem sleeping that night. They got pretty used to life in the trailer, watching things from all the windows. They did much better on the ride home, and weren't at all concerned when we finally got them out.

When they ride in the truck we have to keep them in a carrier to keep them from roaming around, especially under the drivers feet. And they whine constantly in the carrier, so they get to ride in the trailer.

The litter box is a small commercial pan that sits on the floor at the foot of the bed during the day, and then goes onto a throw rug in the living room at night.

Anyway, it looks like things will work out just fine with ours.