Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #61
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Backing... lol, when we got home, knew it was coming.. we have a 500' long, narrow, gravel, driveway with a pretty good snake to it, thru the woods. very private and romantic feeling when we built the house..

whole nother story after two days on the road, and it being our FIRST attempt at backing together. but we are still married, so guess it worked out.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
My very first attempts to park my trailer in a campsite alone consisted of putting on lipstick, then sitting there and waiting. Before you knew it five or six guys would show up to help, a couple of them even hopped in and did it for me... I think I've got it now.

Maybe you could wear some tight jeans and WOMEN would come along to teach you!
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Turkeys. Backing an Airstream trailer is a cinch, and one of the motorhomes is even simpler. You should try a fifth wheel. (Just yesterday I managed to back one in and got it right on the first try!)
Lynn
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When we arrived at Lynn's campground, he wanted to direct me in backing in. That's fine as I didn't want to destroy anything, but the directions he was giving made no sense to me. Then it dawned on me that he was telling me to turn the wheel as if I had my hand on the top of the wheel and I had my hand on the bottom of the wheel. So when he wanted me to turn right, I knew I had to turn left. Once I figured it out and told him, everything went fine.

Some times I can back in as if I were born to it, other times, no so good, especially after a 400+ mile day when brain cells are sleeping or expired.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, it's confusing at times. The directions I give when standing at the back of a rig are different from the ones I give when standing beside the driver, and the latter are actually the trickiest to handle.

Lynn
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
My very first attempts to park my trailer in a campsite alone consisted of putting on lipstick, then sitting there and waiting. Before you knew it five or six guys would show up to help, a couple of them even hopped in and did it for me... I think I've got it now.

Maybe you could wear some tight jeans and WOMEN would come along to teach you!
Hah, I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks.
Focuspuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
If possible get someone other than your partner to help you get into spaces. That way you can enjoy the evening. And get onto what is important--chilling out and doing nothing.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
If possible get someone other than your partner to help you get into spaces. That way you can enjoy the evening. And get onto what is important--chilling out and doing nothing.
No partner, so no worries on that score.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
No partner, so no worries on that score.
Ideal time to find one then.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Ideal time to find one then.
Could happen. Never say never, but track record is not encouraging.

...I'll just get a vase, thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #71
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If I need help backing, I ask folks to tell me which direction my rear end should go. Then I do what is necessary. Saves much confusion.

I guess that's kind of what the working life is, come to think of it. Someone's always there to tell you where your a$$ should be at any given time.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Maybe we singles could have a Forum Listing "Dating Airstreamers" and hook up with partners to travel with. Then just think of the possibilities....

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Perception at a campground?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
OK, this might be a delicate subject, but I'm new, so here goes:

Since I've become obsessed with the Airstream Nation lifestyle, I have been scouring the internet for as much info as I can, this forum being a major source. But there are others.

I have caught a whiff of an impression on some boards that Airstreamers are considered snobs, and/or arrogant, and/or clique-ish in the eyes of other rv'ers.

Now, I can imagine envy playing a big part here and a form of stereotyping and profiling, whatever. Frankly, I couldn't care less what others think of me or my (future) rig, but when I pull into a campground that is 99.9% non-Airstream, am I going to be judged as a holier-than-thou elitist before I even land the thing?

More to the point, will no one help me back the sucker into the site?

So, what say you guys? Have you experienced an anti-Airstream prejudice to the point of it ever being a problem, or am I getting paranoid over nothing?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX
I would not worry about it, go out and enjoy, be the talk of the town, I have never experienced any of what you are concerned about, in fact just the opposite. The silver twinkie gets me invited to the upper crust (because they think I have money), My TV which is a Ford Excursion tells everyone else that I am just a normal person with an unusual trailer that gets me invited to everything else. Like everyone else here I have yet not had someone give assistance when needed and then want to talk about the AS. I have even had some not only help back me in but uhhook, and get out the chairs just so we could talk. Now I have had a few and I mean a very few of the motor coach crowd in 1/2 million dollar + units look down their nose at me, and I have a good response for that with me being 6'7" tall I get to do the same back at them, and with my baby blues make them feel the same as what they are trying to make me feel but I am better at it than they are.
When I had a box you just dont get paid much attention too,
The AS no matter what year it is, is going to be the best conversation piece you will ever own, so your question really should be how am I going to get some piece and quite.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Thanks to all for the replies. My mind is eased.

I've been a contrarian all my life. I think I'm falling in with the right crowd.

Cheers.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I got in late on this but I will chime in also. I agree with the idea of recognition. When you are travelling down the road and see an oncoming RV, basically the only ones you CAN recognize are Airstreams. If you had a Tahoe 5th wheel you can't recognize from a distance another one. I think that adds to the camaraderie.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #76
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
You poor, poor Airstream trailer owners... <sigh>

We Bigfoot trailer owners feel sorry for you. It always looks like you can't afford paint for your tin outhouses. It must be awful to be so poor.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #77

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post

We Bigfoot trailer owners feel sorry for you. It always looks like you can't afford paint for your tin outhouses. It must be awful to be so poor.

Roger

I feel so unworthy...I now know that the Emperor has no clothes

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post

Roger
LOL!! That joke reminded of this story.

When we were kids my Mom would take us to the Calif. beaches to go camping. We'd load the dog and the $10.00 garage sale tent and have a weekend of it.

One of these trips was to Refugio State Park. Where our next door neighbors had the first Airstream I ever saw. An elderly couple and their tow vehicle was a black Rolls Royce and they had a butler.

As we were finishing our hot dogs and mac n cheese my Mom gave us the eye to look over at our neighbors. The butler was serving them hot dogs and mac n cheese.

When we turned back to our table my Mom said. "See you're eating just like rich people."

Three things have stuck with me from that trip.

1, No matter how rich or poor you can eat like a millionaire.

2, Did they look over and see our mac n cheese and then have the butler make it.

3, Where did the butler sleep?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post

3, Where did the butler sleep?
The butler slept in the Airstream with the maid and the chauffeur (perhaps separately) and they slept in the Rolls—it cost more than the Airstream.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Perception of Airstreamers

Like many who have responded, I have never felt any animosity against Airstream owners. We have ours polished to a mirror finish, it's dirty right now, but most think it is gorgeous still.

Airstreams trailers while not rare are distinctive in that they are easily identifiable in a world of white rectangular boxes that you have to get close enough to to be able to read the brand name before you can identify the marque.

Our Airstream is a 1978 31 foot Excella 500. It draws a lot of attention where ever we go. We live in it for 4-5 months of the year all totaled, what with rallies and our summer trips to the northeast.

Most people think our trailer is new and are amazed to find it is 31 years old.

The perception of Airstreamers may have come from the early owners and the Wally Byam caravans around the world. Back in the 50's, to be able to afford an Airstream and take those caravans, one had to have money. They also were very proud owners, as we still are. I think the snob perception came from there, earned or not.

The impression that others have of Airstreamers is a function of how they are treated by us. Be outgoing and friendly when camping. Be helpful and interested in others. Answer questions about your Airstream in a knowledgable and forthright manner. Ask about their RV. Regardless of whether you are in the WBCCI or not, follow the rule to always leave your site cleaner than you found it. Park owners have on more than one occasion have told us that they love having us stay because we leave the site in better shape than we found it.

Because we stand out in the crowd, we can help others form either a positive or negative opinion about us as Airstream owners.

Vic Smith
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote