Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Well thanks to one and all for the positive replies so far: Doug and Maggie, Kevin 245, Sugarfoot, TB Rich, Crawford Gene, moosetags, mutcth, and markdoane.

Someday, hope to see you down the road.
Focuspuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Spoke too soon. Thanks also to garry, azflycaster, danalee, Minno (&Mate), and newroswell.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Well, at least all of you aren't asked at every stop "why did you paint your Airstream!" lol
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
Well, at least all of you aren't asked at every stop "why did you paint your Airstream!" lol
(Just because I'm new): And the answer would be....
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I have found that for the most part RVers are way more friendly, laid back, and non-judgmental than the general population. You'd be surprised how many people you meet who are everybit as helpful and friendly as the guy in the Robin Williams movie RV, but not to that point of annoying or invading your privacy.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
(Just because I'm new): And the answer would be....

They have an Airstream Argosy. Those came from the factory painted. More history here;

Airstream History.com, Silver Wheels
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Nothing to be snooty about!

Hi, first off, for some Airstreamers, it just means that they have larger payments for a longer time. [compaired to SOB owners]

At one campground that we stayed at, a group of people went on a tour of the local points of interest; Then when returning to the campground some of the people asked the bus driver to stop here, [right by my trailer] where most of them wanted off of the bus, to see our trailer.

Finally at another campground, people were acting a bit strange around me. "How you doing sir?" "Nice weather today sir." "Good day sir." And as I was doing my normal walk around the campsights, [exercise] people seemed extra cautious about what they were doing. Are these people actually acting like this because I own an Airstream? Finally, I figuered it out, after a few campers came over to my trailer asked if I was the Park Ranger. Why would they think that? Just because I happened to be wearing a tan shirt, tan pants, and a tan hat that day.

I have been to a few Airstream rallies where there were a few other Airstreamers that were somewhat rude or snooty to me and my wife; I won't mention any names. [you know who you are]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #28
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Well, we are new here, and new to AS'ing.. but we have sure looked at a lot of TT's/RV's in the last couple of years, and there are plenty of large TT's and FW's that cost as much or more then a top of the line AS. So I guess it would just be "perception" if you ran into it (unless of course, you are snotty..lol) We got ours because we like the look, when we have it campable, I am guessing we will have half of what our friends spent on their brand new SOB tied up in it $$$ wise, but with plenty of custom touches that make it ours.

(I do plan to be "snobbish" at them 1st time we camp together , I already have the menu and wine list, china, table linens, and music planned out, can't decide on costume, just formal or 007 formal...lol) then it will be back to burgers and brats, like normal.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
Al, do lots of people recognize the shape enough to ask that? Interesting...

Tom, with a deposit on a (OEM white) Minuet 6.0
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Maybe it's not the Airstream per se, but rather the feeling that Airstreamers take their RVing very seriously and are willing to part with significant time and/or money to do it.

But that's just a wild stab in the dark.

Lynn
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
OK, this might be a delicate subject, but I'm new, so here goes:

Since I've become obsessed with the Airstream Nation lifestyle, I have been scouring the internet for as much info as I can, this forum being a major source. But there are others.

I have caught a whiff of an impression on some boards that Airstreamers are considered snobs, and/or arrogant, and/or clique-ish in the eyes of other rv'ers.

Now, I can imagine envy playing a big part here and a form of stereotyping and profiling, whatever. Frankly, I couldn't care less what others think of me or my (future) rig, but when I pull into a campground that is 99.9% non-Airstream, am I going to be judged as a holier-than-thou elitist before I even land the thing?

More to the point, will no one help me back the sucker into the site?

So, what say you guys? Have you experienced an anti-Airstream prejudice to the point of it ever being a problem, or am I getting paranoid over nothing?
yes to all above
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , Texas
re: Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
They have an Airstream Argosy. Those came from the factory painted. More history here;

Airstream History.com, Silver Wheels
Ya know, that's a good idea. I sure get alot of interest, I'm tempted to print a few of those up and keep them with me. I make alot of friends explaining the Argosy vs Airstream story.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
I encountered one camper (moho dude), who said, "You're one of those Airstream people." I just smiled and said... "ummmmm... whatever!" and batted my baby blues.

All in all, I've never really experienced that snobbery at all with folks... just that one guy....

He spent his whole weekend at the campground with a spray bottle and a rag preening his unit... The nerve of some moho people! Hahahahahaaha!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , Texas
The Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Al, do lots of people recognize the shape enough to ask that? Interesting...

Tom, with a deposit on a (OEM white) Minuet 6.0
Most certainly......it's funny when we are out, from the gas station to the campsite. We seem to be the object of staring! lol Most are really friendly and really curious.

We just got back from a trip to Indiana. At a station outside Memphis we went in to gt a drink. When we came out there were 5 or 6 people walking around her looking in the windows and such. It took another twenty minutes to get out of there. Most said it was the first time they'd seen a painted Airstream.

I wonder if they think I had the Argosy plates made for it? In any case I guess I asked for it, especially painting her black.

Al
Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The most frequent comment is: "what a beautiful trailer".

Tied for 2nd, and far behind the first: "do they still make those?" and, "I've always wanted one."

Strangest experience: at a truck stop a couple comes over and wants to take pictures of our trailer and the Tundra. This was just the combination they wanted, even to the color of the Tundra. They wanted pictures of us in front of it and for me to take a picture of them in front. I think they followed us into the truck stop.

I think people are friendlier at RV campgrounds than at motels because at campgrounds we have to spend more time outside—just setting up and breaking down takes time. Some people sit outside a lot which increases personal contact. On the other hand, motels are more and more big rectangular boxes entered through a several doors, some locked, and then down impersonal hallways. Older ones, where you park outside the door, allowed more contact, but not as much as campgrounds. At motels the only thing you do is carry stuff in, carry stuff out, or go to the car, leave the car.

If I see another Airstream parked nearby, I'll go over and say hello when someone is outside. Usually they are friendly, but it's pretty infrequent they come over to our trailer. Many of the campgrounds we stop at are pretty much just a place to stop for the night, or somewhere to be while we look around the area, so we don't spend a lot of time outside other than taking care of business.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are worried about being perceived as an aluminum snob from my perspective as a cynical ex-hippy now working for the establishment I have 2 sure fire cures:

1. paint your wagon psychedelic ala your 60s Rolling Stones avatar.

or, depending on the social class system you frequent:

2. camoflage.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
My parents were Airstreamers in the '80's and '90's, until my dad passed away 10 years ago: Mom once referred to non-airstreamers (which included us at the time) as "riffraff". She still denies it........ and we still laugh about it!

Kay
Sorry Minno, got you confused with Minnie's Mate. Fingers got ahead of my brain.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We usually get smiles and nods when pull up somewhere. Since these silver twinkies have been around so long I think many people have fond memories we reawaken.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
If you are worried about being perceived as an aluminum snob from my perspective as a cynical ex-hippy now working for the establishment I have 2 sure fire cures:

1. paint your wagon psychedelic ala your 60s Rolling Stones avatar.

or, depending on the social class system you frequent:

2. camoflage.

1.Hah. Oh yeah, or maybe when I finally take the plunge, I'll start a group, "Airstream Rolling Stones". Kind of appropriate, actually.

2. Not so much.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
well, i have never experienced it camping...but maybe thats because i have an Avion instead of an Airstream. Although, come to think of it, almost every person who stops to talk about the trailer assumes it is an AS.

On the other hand, its always interesting to see when the AS/Avion discussion comes up on this forum or others. definately more of the Chevy/Ford thing (or maybe i should say Chevy/AMC?)
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote