Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
If you look around in a busy campsite you'll probably find a few trucks that have the Calvin sticker in the window that's peeing on the word "Ford" or "Chevy" or "Dodge". Those are the ones that certainly have their strong opinions. Unless you driving the same truck, with same 20" lift kit, same after-market exhaust, with 35" off-road tires, and have "truck balls" hanging from the hitch, your not going to be in their clique.

I've only had positive experiences with the Airstream so far. Every time out, at least one person will stop by and mention how someone in their family used to have one, or they had one 30 years ago, and they want to talk about how much they love the way they look. Usually someone will ask what year ours is, and then they are surprised they're still being made.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The closest thing we have experienced with Airstream prejudice was over spring break of this year. We went to the campground at Tallulah Gorge (GA. Power operated). The first site was too steep to get our 30' Airstream into without hanging up the bumper on the ground so we pulled away and asked for another site. After backing into the site we discovered that the water and power connections were at the front of the site and too far to reach with the power cord and water hose we had with us. So we requested another site. All three sites were within one or two sites of some folks in an older SOB motor home. While I was backing into the final site, my wife overheard the guy at the motor home make the remark, "There moving again!" My wife told him that we couldn't reach the power connection with our cord. He then replied, "If you want electricity, stay home." When my wife told me this she said, "Just wait until we get out the satellite dish and set it up. I just shrugged it off and that night we enjoyed grilling the fillets my wife brought from home and a nice Bordeaux over dinner.

People are what they are. That guy was just a little too nosy and a little on the grumpy side. Besides, we were providing some late afternoon entertainment with our version of musical camp sites.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My parents were Airstreamers in the '80's and '90's, until my dad passed away 10 years ago: Mom once referred to non-airstreamers (which included us at the time) as "riffraff". She still denies it........ and we still laugh about it!

Kay
Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We have been met more with curiosity than anything and we find most campers friendly and willing to help but then we hardly look like -what was that word or yeah yuppies-hippies (old hippies) maybe, in our 65 Ambassadoe with now about an eight of a polish job!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It's obvious that Airtreamers have more class then other RV people...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTQ3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	84521  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I compare having an Airstream kind of like driving a Corvette. All owners check out each others and its the same way with Airstreams.

I think every time we camped someone would come up and comment about our Airstream either they want one, had one, parents had one or just think they are neat.

Garry
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Well thanks to one and all for the positive replies so far: Doug and Maggie, Kevin 245, Sugarfoot, TB Rich, Crawford Gene, moosetags, mutcth, and markdoane.

Someday, hope to see you down the road.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Spoke too soon. Thanks also to garry, azflycaster, danalee, Minno (&Mate), and newroswell.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Well, at least all of you aren't asked at every stop "why did you paint your Airstream!" lol
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
Well, at least all of you aren't asked at every stop "why did you paint your Airstream!" lol
(Just because I'm new): And the answer would be....
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I have found that for the most part RVers are way more friendly, laid back, and non-judgmental than the general population. You'd be surprised how many people you meet who are everybit as helpful and friendly as the guy in the Robin Williams movie RV, but not to that point of annoying or invading your privacy.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #26
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
(Just because I'm new): And the answer would be....

They have an Airstream Argosy. Those came from the factory painted. More history here;

Airstream History.com, Silver Wheels
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Nothing to be snooty about!

Hi, first off, for some Airstreamers, it just means that they have larger payments for a longer time. [compaired to SOB owners]

At one campground that we stayed at, a group of people went on a tour of the local points of interest; Then when returning to the campground some of the people asked the bus driver to stop here, [right by my trailer] where most of them wanted off of the bus, to see our trailer.

Finally at another campground, people were acting a bit strange around me. "How you doing sir?" "Nice weather today sir." "Good day sir." And as I was doing my normal walk around the campsights, [exercise] people seemed extra cautious about what they were doing. Are these people actually acting like this because I own an Airstream? Finally, I figuered it out, after a few campers came over to my trailer asked if I was the Park Ranger. Why would they think that? Just because I happened to be wearing a tan shirt, tan pants, and a tan hat that day.

I have been to a few Airstream rallies where there were a few other Airstreamers that were somewhat rude or snooty to me and my wife; I won't mention any names. [you know who you are]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #28
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Well, we are new here, and new to AS'ing.. but we have sure looked at a lot of TT's/RV's in the last couple of years, and there are plenty of large TT's and FW's that cost as much or more then a top of the line AS. So I guess it would just be "perception" if you ran into it (unless of course, you are snotty..lol) We got ours because we like the look, when we have it campable, I am guessing we will have half of what our friends spent on their brand new SOB tied up in it $$$ wise, but with plenty of custom touches that make it ours.

(I do plan to be "snobbish" at them 1st time we camp together , I already have the menu and wine list, china, table linens, and music planned out, can't decide on costume, just formal or 007 formal...lol) then it will be back to burgers and brats, like normal.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote