Old 09-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Passed on the opportunity.

Today while working on my trailer, a pickup truck pulls up in front of my house. A couple gets out and walks up to me. The first words out of their mouths were, "Do you want to sell it?" Being knee deep in all the work I am doing to it, I quickly replied, "No Way!" They were very nice, and asked if I knew of any other Airstreams around that were for sale. They had already looked at a bunch of them that were all in poor condition. In our conversation about Airstreams, I mentioned that I paid $1500 for mine. The gentleman quickly responds, "Want to double your money?" I laughed, having already put more than an additional $1500 in to it with just parts. Forget about the $5.50 an hour that my labor is worth!

I told them I would keep an eye out for any local Airstreams, as I regularly go and look at ones I see in the paper... even though I am NOT buying another one... yet.

Just thought I would pass that story on. I'm sure it happens quite frequently since everyone these days seems to be infatuated with Airstreams.

My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
Forget about the $5.50 an hour that my labor is worth!
Don't sell yourself too cheap! someone that knows what they are doing is worth a whole lot more for their labor.

Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I believe the Airstream factory charges between $50 - $75 an hour.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Originally posted by yukionna
I believe the Airstream factory charges between $50 - $75 an hour.
FWIW, the $50-$75/hour shop labor rates charged by dealerships (auto as well as RV) include provision for all of their overhead; mortgage, utilities, taxes, company-owned tools such as hoists etc. in their service departments. Their mechanics typically make whatever the competitive hourly rate is in whatever market you're looking at; typically $18-$30/hour (or whatever it is now, including benefits).

So, if you're "doing it yourself" in your driveway, at least you don't have the shop building and hoist to pay for! (We won't talk about cyclos and Olympic rivet shavers as overhead...)

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote