Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2004, 06:35 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Regarding the kids thing, I don't think restrictions are the answer for that problem...I think accountability is needed for the parents so that it is not a trailer trash type of scenario.....for the others....to each their own... for those that don't want us....I've got a hitch and a tow vehicle!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

My prior post wasn't a dig and it wasn't meant to be taken negatively, I'm just truly happy to be living in a country where we're all free to have these types of conversations

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Smile Lots of veiws on this

As a state park ranger I have dealt with and witnessed many of the concerns, statements, and problems in campgrounds. Our policy is if it fits without doing damage to the recource we try to accomidate.

As for "trailer trash" or however you want to coin it, our policy is to discourage long term camping by limiting stays to 14 concecutive days with another 4 days before returning. I remember in the past it got so bad that school busses were picking up kids at the campgrounds, and garbage and blue tarps abounded.

Many of the private campgrounds in our area do have age and coach provitions to keep out long term unruly campers. It seems to work because there always busy.

As for the small trailer issue I love them they cause our rangers the least hassle because they can fit in most of the campsites and they don't need 40 acres to turn around in. Some of those large coaches are a nightmare for park facilites. I swear they should make some of those owners get a special licence to drive them so they quit nocking things over.

Also remember, there are airstream parks in this country, I am not sure if they allow other kinds of trailersto camp in them
campcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #44
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It is quite simple for me

Me and my '71 Caravej will not stay at a park where we are not welcome. There are plenty of parks that are glad to have us visit, (State parks included).
If i were looking for all the amenities, I would not be traveling with an RV. I am limited as far as travel excursions but I know that the Ohio turnpike has overnight accomodations for guests. Any others?
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Campcollector,

Being close to the ocean as you are, does the salt water have any negative effects that you've seen with your Airstream?

Thanks-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:53 AM   #46
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
ok now looky here

I go camping because I enjoy it. I have an Airstream because it is the best bar none. The parks who might exclude me are parks I didn't want to stay at anyhow.
I like open campfires and country music. I like to mingle with common folks who ask me if Airstream is still building trailers. I think most of all I enjoy the comradery of yesteryear, when people were not judged by the size or amenitiies of their RV. I just enjoy camping.
If I am fortunate, I'll throw a few bluegills on the Hibachi and invite some neighbors over for a triendly poker game,
It's all about enjoymnt,.
It should not be about elitism. Most of the folks I meet are just common people, enjoying what nature has to offer, SOB or tent,
I would not buy a condo where the rulers don't allow me to hang wet towels on the balcony railing. My Airstream is my grtaway and if the park rules are intrusive, I'll just find another spot on down the road.

R0g

l
Old 01-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by John
Campcollector,

Being close to the ocean as you are, does the salt water have any negative effects that you've seen with your Airstream?

Thanks-John
Except for the tree that fell on it.......
Old 01-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #48
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: ok now looky here

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog0525
I go camping because I enjoy it. ...

I like open campfires and country music. ...

If I am fortunate, I'll throw a few bluegills on the Hibachi and invite some neighbors over for a triendly poker game ...
Rog ...

Let me know where you're camping .... I'll bring some George Jones and a deck of cards.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've got nothing against kids, but this one campground near us we visited to "scope it out", turned out to be "Rugrat Heaven". We could barely drive down the campground roads without fear of a child on a bicycle darting out in front of us. Towards the back of the place, in the tent and primitive area we saw lots of folks who looked like they belonged on the Jerry Springer Show. One tent camper had a "campfire" made of poles that appeared to be 10-12' high. As you can imagine, we did chose to stay at this "resort" that has been given high marks by other RV sites, as well as Woodall's and Good Sam.

A campground we really enjoy in Pennsylvania, is a "family" campground with lots of children of all ages. This place was a real pleasure to camp in. All of the children were well behaved. The teenagers were a pleasure and interesting to talk to. The campground had many activities to keep the kids busy, including a maze, railroad, gameroom, pool, fishing pond, etc.

Somewhere I read there are over 48,000 campgrounds in America. Should be no problem finding one to suit your tastes.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #50
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Angry Kids are a major PITA

They ride skateboards where they should not. They ask inane questions like "where does the fire go when it goes out?" They even try to tell you how to fish, such as "I don't think the fish are gonna come up on the opposite bank where you cast your bait".
They ask silly questions like "how much did that shiny trailer cost you?" or "Are you going to eat all of those hot dogs?" It is a good rule of thumb never to invite a kid to dinner cuz they will eat anything and everything, including those spare ribs you were going to save for tomorrow's lunch. Guard your candy well, the little monsters can hone in on a Hershey bar from 100 feet away.
They beat you at arcade games at the camp lodge as if it really mattered that you just spent $10 to achieve low score.
They put a log out of place on your otherwise perfect campfire.
They clutter up your campsite with forgotten teddy bears and other toys which you have no use for, except maybe it would be nice to sleep with a cuddly little toy and pretend you are young again.
They ask stupid questions and make silly comments like "Why is your trailer parked sideways?" or "Mom says it wasn't your fault that you backed over our dog but Dad is really pissed and said he is going to kill you in your sleep".
The little girl at the next door campsite brings you a dandelion and you feel obliged to thank her but you really just want to strangle her scrawny little neck because she ran her bike over one of your pink flamingos.
There should be a fereral law excluding kids from campgrounds or anywhere else I might encounter them.
They are invisible and appear out of nowhere just when you thought it was safe to take a relaxing pee deep on the nature trail.
They are a general nuisance and if left unchecked, might grow up to be a grumpy old fart like me.
BTW, how much did you pay for your shiny trailer?

Rog
Old 01-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
That's some funny s**t! I especially like that part about messing with the perfect fire. Very true!
Maybe we should round them up like in the movie "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" since they are such a menace.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #52
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up Great post .. Rog.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Wink

I've been reading this thread for awhile. Janet seems to have stirred some emotion on this subject, and I'm going to leave her Karma out of it.
I for one would like to see an adults only day at the movies, a kid free day at the mall, an adults only section at my favorite resturant.
But when it comes push to shove there are some cute little buggers out there.
Now for the dog haters, I believe there should be no place on this planet for such people. Dogs are Dogs and they are just people too.
The over 10 years old restriction (kids or trailer?): my 77 is my baby and looks better than most sticks and tin foil trailers being built today. I say if you want to discriminate do it on the basis of quality not age.
Under 20 feet, just strange. I guess it is the eclusive nature of people to want to stick with their class of people.
Just another way.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
remember when...

there was this cool 50's movie that ultimately had an exttinct civilizations technology take over the scientists id... the spaceship that came to visit put this electronic fence as a first defense around the perimeter of the ship.....look boss.....de fence...de fence...hey...does some other body(SOB) want to collude with me ....i think we can make some gelt......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
What?

Norbert, have you taken your meds?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #56
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Calm down Norbert - it's OK. Janet's husband is safely back in his box......

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #57
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is better than an All in the Family episode!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Meds?...i doan got meds...i doan need no meds...WE doan neeed no stinking meds!........
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 01-14-2004, 06:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
i bet.....

nobody remembers that film...clue....Walter pidgeon was the scientist...
norby

Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Re: i bet.....

Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
nobody remembers that film...clue....Walter pidgeon was the scientist...
norby

Forbidden Planet, still one of the greatest sci-fi movies.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote