Old 01-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Discrimination is the process of identifying differences and making choices based on those differences. Discrimination itself is neither good nor bad, it is simply a process that is deemed inappropriate when certain differences are factors in choice.

When this is not the case, discrimination is neither illegal nor unethical. Everyone who has selected an Airstream, based on its differences from other choices, has practiced discrimination.

Those who are "chosen" may feel those chosing have "discriminating tastes," while those who are not chosen may feel those choosing are "elitist." I don't, but instead thank God we still live in a country where those not chosing me, or my RV, had the freedom to do so.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'd call it "niche marketing"...

...like the local car lot that sells only used Volkswagens, or the restaurants that serve only Mexican food.

These places cater to snooty rich retired folks. It's a demographic sub-segment of the class of people over 55.

I've been in "family parks" that were essentially ruled by marauding packs of flesh-eating weasels, wearing baseball caps and t-shirts and riding bicycles.

Would I have stayed there? Not on your life! But plenty of other folks had obviously decided that letting the little weasels run free and learn nasty things from the pack had its advantages at Times When Daddy and Mommy Want To Be Alone.

-Don

Old 01-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
So what's a forty-something person, who's kids are to old (or cool) to be along for the trip to do? I also don't want to be terrorized by wandering packs of sugar addicted, squirt gun toting toddlers; since when is peace and quiet ONLY reserved for the 55 plus crowd?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've found most of the parks we stayed at last summer to range from pretty quiet to downright peaceful, and we were usually surrounded by tenters, and families of little weasels running loose. One state park had a campsite that was so full of crap I couldn't easily spot the camper underneith it all - we had to wonder how they could have created such a mess with stays limited to a two week maximum! Still, they caused us no trouble, only provided amusement everytime we drove by

Anyway, the only trouble we've had where we were disturbed was at a rally when the old folks woke up earlier than us and stood around outside our open windows chatting with the neighbors! The nerve!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #19
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: I'd call it "niche marketing"...

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
I've been in "family parks" that were essentially ruled by marauding packs of flesh-eating weasels, wearing baseball caps and t-shirts and riding bicycles.
Pedophobia: an abnormal and persistent fear of children.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Are there any WBCCI parks where you want to relax?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig
Pedophobia: an abnormal and persistent fear of children.
Pork, I agree with almost everything you post, however, I too love kids, but more times than not, parents just turn their kids loose on the campground and fail to respect that others are around. It's a BIG problem I've noticed almost anywhere I go and I myself cannot fault any one person for wanting to use the footage from some of these children in campgrounds as prime ads for birth control, better parenting, etc. I think it's terrible how some of these parents don't keep a choker on some of these kids. I mean here we are at our campsite and these kids just ride their bikes right through our campsite, across our outdoor mats. Others litter, thow balls and hit our $40k coaches.

I'll tell you what, when you camp with your new coach and you come across some kid that nearly scratches the plasticoat off your new warbucks Classic as they come flying through your campsite or they dent your new tow vehicle or coach throwing baseballs all over, come to talk to me about fear.....I don't think fear has anything to do with it...these kids need a good butt whoopin as do their careless parents.

As for it being elitism or discrimination, take a look around...clubs and policies based on age, race, religion, etc are everywhere. What I find hard to accept myself is the fact that folks that don't fit the criteria for the other clubs to belong will cry discrimination, racisim, etc.

I could list affermitive action as one, minority based quotas for government contacts as another. Yacht clubs and country clubs that are white only...there is one club out here that refused Michael Jordan...seriously!

The lists go on and on and on.....these types of campgrounds are just another part people's needs to be part of a group with similar interests, etc. Is it right or fair, heck far better folks have debated this in the humanities, social interaction and psycology programs for years. Far smarter folks have taken and argued cases through the legal system. Me I just try to get in where I can have fun and not get my coach all tore up!

If someone doesn't want me there, then it probobly isn't a place I would want to be...but there are other places that will gladly take us in and I am happy to find those places and have a good time!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Found doing a Google search for adult RV park washington

Cranberry Adult RV Park
1801 Cranberry Rd - Long Beach
360-642-2027

Pegg's Adult RV Park
15301 Pacific Way - Long Beach
360-642-2451

There are more....
Old 01-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Talking America's Great!!!

It warms my heart to know how fortunate we are to be in a country where our concerns are whether or not we can use certain RV parks or if kids are going to run through our campsite. We are truly blessed!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Please..cant we get along....cant we all,just....get along....

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
I say "to each his own". If a park can make a living catering to only a small part of the market, fine.

I can see both sides of this argument.

I can't wait until I get my 1953 Cruiser restored and be able to answer: "How old is my rig....ah ah ah fifty" "But I'm only 47, with a 2 year old toddler"

Guess this excludes me from a lot of parks. I will just take my money elsewhere.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
At your age you'll never have a hockey team....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #27
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Rather than restrict the age of the folks camping, wouldn't it make more sense to say "no kids allowed" IF that is truely the intent of the restriction?

There was an interesting article in the local paper about a family with an older mobile home being denied permits by the city due to the age of their home. Turns out the city is in direct violation of State law..... http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/lo...-4577836c.html I've seen the place they want to park their trailer. It's run down and full of delapidated older structures. Go figure.

I still don't understand the length limitations imposed by some parks (nothing under 21 ft.). Since when is a nice shiney new Bambi an eyesore?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I submit this to try to be helpful and not to be offensive, at the risk it may be taken that way.

We're a culture with a "victim mentality" that's quicker to whine and cry "discrimination" than to try to find solutions. It's easier to find obstacles and reasons why something can't be done than it is to find ways to do it.

Janet, I believe you really do want to find a solution (when you finally got around to asking "what's... to do?"), but your first post strongly communicates that you just wants fellow whiners instead of a solution. To seek help, help others to help you.

Define the problem without all the irrelevant and distracting stuff about diapers and chickens. If that fluff replaces the location you want to camp in, you haven't helped others to help you at all!

"I am a near empty-nester who would like to camp, without children, in/at [location still unknown]. I'm too young to qualify for 55-over parks, and my Argosy is too old and too small for some parks with the 10 year unit age limit and 21' minimums."

Identify to potential helpers what you've already done to help yourself. The more you've done for yourself, the more likely the better problem solvers will see your question as a challenge.

"I have looked for adult-only parks that would accept my age and Argosy in Trailer Life Magazine, but have found none. I've searched the Internet for [whatever]. Does anyone know of any parks in the [location area] that meet my criteria? What other resources could I use to search for them?"

Even with a succinct post like this, you're going to get useless responses from whiners, but if you really want a solution, it gives those who would like to help you something to work with.

There are those who go through life shrugging obstacles aside and making things happen without complaining even if it may require substantial work. You don't have to be smart or experienced to be one of them. You just have to show those who are, that you're determined and ready to do the work it takes to make it happen if they'll point you in the right direction. Some of them are more creative and can often find ways to make it happen with less work! Whining does just the opposite and just gives a poor impression. It encourages sour grapes responses from other whiners and smart-ass comments, neither of which are constructive.

No solution is perfect. Don't sweat the small stuff. Solve the major problems (like kids riding bikes next to a new $40K trailer), and ignore the rest.

Hope this helps,